Quinnen not starting? Why do I care?

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

it doesn't matter who starts it matters who finishes 

(3rd down, 4th quarter etc) 

don't be scared fellow Jets fans this is what a healthy defensive line rotation looks like 

Maybe if these guys get normal rest they can do more. 

The third overall pick in the draft shouldn’t be for rotational bullsh*t. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Could you imagine if we had TJ Hockenson as our tight end on Sunday.  He is the guy we needed and Mac blew it.  

Yeah that would have been the cherry on top, drafting another lower-cost position with a high pick. I think he is, was, and always will be a useless sack of trash as a GM, but in the absence of trading down even I’ll at least I’ll give him that in drafting QW if he reaches 80% of his hype he’ll be the equivalent of a $20MM/year FA.  Still poor distribution of premium resources to keep Leo, re-sign Anderson, and then draft QW, that necessitates a starter on the bench a lot or playing one out of position, but he’s at least worth a top 5 pick as a prospect.

A top 3 overall pick for a TE, lol. He’d have to be almost healthy Gronk year after year to justify that. That’d be up there with a top 3-6 pick on a RT or C as his first serious OL pick, or yet another safety perhaps, or another DLman that can’t sack the QB from inside or outside. Or in general, some other similar selection where it’s only good use of the pick if he becomes a consensus all time great HOFer. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

You expect a 300 LB DT to play every snap? Do you know anything about football?

Rotational players, inside dline man, very very low priority in winning in this league.

Quinnen is aaron donald!  Donald played 91% of snaps last year.

THIRD OVERALL PICK.

• Sympathy 1

Fact: Very few D-tackles are head and shoulders above their peers and are game changers on Sundays.

Unless Quinnen is 1 of these guys, and there are maybe 3 or 4 in the entire league, we will look back and go - we should taken another player.

Personally, I wanted the Jets to trade up for Nick Bosa.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You run a 2 tight end offense.  You split herndon out wide some of the time.  None of these tight ends would have been sitting on the bench.

Do you remember the versatility the pats had when they had gronk/hernandez?  It would have been a tremendous help to darnold and the offense.  We blew it.

Herndon, Bell, Crowder, Q. Do we need a 5th guy doing the same thing 4 other players on the team already do?

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rotational players, inside dline man, very very low priority in winning in this league.

Quinnen is aaron donald!  Donald played 91% of snaps last year.

THIRD OVERALL PICK.

91% is being a rotational player.  

And what percentage of snaps did QW play?

Never ends

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Quinnen can be Fletcher Cox and it’s still be a meh pick because the team was so threadbare everywhere else. The right move was to trade out, but the righter move was to fire Maccagnan two years ago.

Im good with the QW pick but Josh Allen would have been immediately wreaking havoc on Josh Allen tommorow. 

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

This will Unnoticed cause it doesn’t fit the agenda. But

Though Williams is unlikely to start, he will be a part of new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ rotation on the defensive line, a key part of what the Jets hope will be an improved pass rush.

“He’s going to play a lot,” Gregg Williams said. “He can do that. He’s not slowed down anything intellectually. He’s a smart young man. I don’t worry about him at all.”

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Meanwhile Josh Allen is reportedly tearing it up for Jacksonville. He was the pick. Sometimes need and position importance has to take priority over BPA. The Jets did not need another DT.

Reports out of a teams camp, from players reminds me of all the reports out of Ravens camp that LJackson was a beast who made every throw asked of him.  How he was tearing it up. 

Then he played like Tebow, cant throw for shlt

I think this is dictated by Buffalo’s formations and how G. Williams schemes against them. If the Bills come out in 11 personnel and G. Williams responds with a 3-3-5 there’s a good chance Quinnen is on the field, and technically “starts.” 

They’re going to be so multiple with their fronts and personnel I don’t think it really matters if he “starts.” 

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Meanwhile Josh Allen is reportedly tearing it up for Jacksonville. He was the pick. Sometimes need and position importance has to take priority over BPA. The Jets did not need another DT.

was gonna bring this up. not to give up on Q, cos now i am rooting for him. but i'da went JA

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

He showed both traits in preseason . Not sure why any one would think that .. but some jets fans eat there own so I wouldn’t be surprised. 

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

He showed both traits in preseason . Not sure why any one would think that .. but some jets fans eat there own so I wouldn’t be surprised. 

Looks like a really solid all around d-tackle. But I don't see a consistent game changing D-tackle, week to week. Those guys are EXTREMELY rare. 

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Possibly one reason he's doing so well (in practice and preseason) is because Jacksonville has an awesome D-Line. 

I think pass-rusher is the last piece in the puzzle. I think you build from the outside in. And having a serviceable big body is better than a edge-rusher when you can't stop anything inside. I've also think that the best way to disrupt most passes is to pressure the A gap, not from the outside. But you need both and the Jets, without QW, didn't really have that.

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Meanwhile the people who knew everything said Allen “had no moves” and was Aaron Maybin 2.0

6 hours ago, M_Sully said:

I think this is dictated by Buffalo’s formations and how G. Williams schemes against them. If the Bills come out in 11 personnel and G. Williams responds with a 3-3-5 there’s a good chance Quinnen is on the field, and technically “starts.” 

They’re going to be so multiple with their fronts and personnel I don’t think it really matters if he “starts.” 

No this is dictated by the fact we had a chance to trade Leo for picks or Clowney and didn’t 

Anyone else think he is neither that quick or that strong?

Of course he’s not, and that’s not going to change. He’s going to be a rich man’s Gerald McCoy. A really good DT and solid athlete but not worth taking # 3 overall.

At least Josh Allen was the pass-rushing EDGE we needed. Or Ed Oliver would have had a chance to be the next Aaron Donald based on his off-the-charts athleticism. Q is boring by comparison and will only move the needle a little.

Quinnen did nothing in the preseason and nothing against the Bills. That's a problem. I'm not saying he's a bust but you can't be the 3rd pick in the draft and have zero registered stats in a game. Although they're paying a DT $14 million to have zero impact

On 9/6/2019 at 12:59 PM, bealeb319 said:

Hockenson will be garbage. Fant is the better tight end from the draft either way neither of them were worthy of the third overall pick. I didn't love the Williams pick either but let's not get ridiculous and try to make it seem like a tight end who will have 600 yards and 4 touchdowns would have been our difference maker

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Hahahahahahahaha.  This is too funny.  

This guy tried to tell me hockenson was garbage.  Clueless.

Everyone hated the idea of taking another interior Dlinemen in the draft, and we talked ourselves into liking the pick with the same bullsh*t that landed us Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams. At least Adams is actually good, but plays like the 15th most important position on the field.