Gregg Williams Press Conference 9/06

jetsons

54 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Aint that a fact. I am really starting to like him. 

This + 90125 ….

The sad thing is, this will probably be a 1 year wonder. GW will DEFINITELY get a HC gig next season, unless something incredibly "Bowlsy" happens. He talks and carries himself like a HC.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

This + 90125 ….

The sad thing is, this will probably be a 1 year wonder. GW will DEFINITELY get a HC gig next season, unless something incredibly "Bowlsy" happens. He talks and carries himself like a HC.

I dont think so.  He will be here for awhile. There were many openings this year and he wasnt considered for them.  The bounty gate thing still hangs over his head.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont think so.  He will be here for awhile. There were many openings this year and he wasnt considered for them.  The bounty gate thing still hangs over his head.

I truly hope your right, but in all honesty, Williams looks like, and sounds like a HC up there.

IMO, IF the Jets make the playoffs with the personnel they have, if the D is ranked in the top 15, with a pass rush, Williams will be a HC next season.

impressive press conference.  you get the sense that GW doesn't care what team he coaches for he just wants to be a coach.   he would have the same demeanor and philosophy coaching high school as he does the NYJ.   like westhoff he is going to coach until he can't physically do it - the guy just loves football.   

i'll be interested to see how the pass rush and cb's perform in the games.   you can tell that GW loves his players but how much homerism is there vs. reality?    sunday can't get here soon enough.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I truly hope your right, but in all honesty, Williams looks like, and sounds like a HC up there.

IMO, IF the Jets make the playoffs with the personnel they have, if the D is ranked in the top 15, with a pass rush, Williams will be a HC next season.

Here we go again.  We have a lockdown, pro bowl corner.  A pro bowl safety.  A pro bowl tackling machine at middle linebacker.  Young up and comers like maye, cashman and Quinnen.  Nickel corner in poole.  Beastly players like mclennon and henry anderson.

You cannot have hall of famers at all 11 positions on defense.

Please get a clue jet fans!!  I cant take it.  This defense is very good and talented and is run by one of the best coaches in the business.

Less then 2 days till this nonsense, whoa is us attitude is erradicated.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

Here we go again.  We have a lockdown, pro bowl corner.  A pro bowl safety.  A pro bowl tackling machine at middle linebacker.  Young up and comers like maye, cashman and Quinnen.  Nickel corner in poole.  Beastly players like mclennon and henry anderson.
You cannot have hall of famers at all 11 positions on defense.
Please get a clue jet fans!!  I cant take it.  This defense is very good and talented and is run by one of the best coaches in the business.
Less then 2 days till this nonsense, whoa is us attitude is erradicated.

I’m 56. Seen a lot of Jets seasons. I hope you’re right. But I’m not just assuming that all that glitters is gold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I loved when they asked him about the pass rush.  Like ive been saying all along, pass rush and corners arent a worry.

Corner will take a hit if trumaine misses time but besides that, we are going to be fine.

Cant wait for the whiners to see it.

That's a lot of confidence in a roster that finished at the bottom of the league in defense last season and a coordinator whose defense only finished two spots higher and hasn't had a defense in the top half the league since he returned from suspension and for a couple years before that wasn't doing so hot.

12 hours ago, shuler82 said:

To be fair, our ears are accustomed to four years of Todd Bowles. 

It's a shock to think that we finally have some very intelligent, quick-minded coaches on the 2019 Jet staff.

I swear I wish I could have heard the interview where Bowles sold the Jets that he was the man for the job, I just can't picture how he won.  The guy is slow motion, total opposite of Gregg Williams. And to no surprise that's exactly how his teams played.."a day late and a dollar short".

Then again I guess that's why he delegated so much, so easy to point the finger after failure.  He would fire OC after OC..."not my fault", but somehow probably the worst coach of them all Kacy Rogers always kept his job.

Again, this is awesome....ADULTS, who make everyone accountable, are NOW running the Jets.

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I loved when they asked him about the pass rush.  Like ive been saying all along, pass rush and corners arent a worry.

Corner will take a hit if trumaine misses time but besides that, we are going to be fine.

Cant wait for the whiners to see it.

That's the BIGGEST TAKEAWAY from the whole presser IMO.

Gregg Williams basically said, (paraphrasing) "I'm not worried.  You haven't heard me say once that personnel is a problem in that area (pass rush)."  He also said there are a lot of guys you don't know about or haven't been talking about that you soon will be.  You'll know about these guys by the end of the year.

Bottom line - GW likes what he has to work with.  He loves the DLine rotation and I think he truly believes that guys like Jenkins, Luvu, Langi and Copeland (when back) will give him what he needs from an outside pass rush.  This idea that the Jets won't be able to rush the passer from the outside unless they have a Jadaveon Clowney, etc. is kind of ridiculous in Gregg Williams' mind.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

It's a shock to think that we finally have some very intelligent, quick-minded coaches on the 2019 Jet staff.

I swear I wish I could have heard the interview where Bowles sold the Jets that he was the man for the job, I just can't picture how he won.  The guy is slow motion, total opposite of Gregg Williams. And to no surprise that's exactly how his teams played.."a day late and a dollar short".

Then again I guess that's why he delegated so much, so easy to point the finger after failure.  He would fire OC after OC..."not my fault", but somehow probably the worst coach of them all Kacy Rogers always kept his job.

Again, this is awesome....ADULTS, who make everyone accountable, are NOW running the Jets.

They wanted  Dan Quinn but the Seahawks  were in the Bowl and they thought if they waited they might lose Bowles..

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

They wanted  Dan Quinn but the Seahawks  were in the Bowl and they thought if they waited they might lose Bowles..

Oh yeah, you’re right.  I forgot that.

Not a fan of Quinn either, but it’s safe to assume since he isn’t as bad a Bowles that the Jets wouldn’t have been bad enough to be able to draft a Franchise QB.

19 hours ago, shuler82 said:

To be fair, our ears are accustomed to four years of Todd Bowles. 

Oh things like, "We will know more after we talk to the trainer...I haven't looked at the film yet...I didn't think it was necessary at that point...Yes it was my decision...They're a good football team...It hadn't worked yet so I saw no reason to go for it...Felt better about punting on 4th and 2...I thought the defense gave us the better chance to win..."

7 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, happier we have Williams more than Gase.

I'm glad we have both of them.  I think Gase will be a much better coach the second time around.  Think he learned a lot in Miami like Belichick learned in Cleveland.  Gase has a QB and a much better situation now.

• Upvote 2