Sam Darnold Reminded Me

Dcronin

Sam was up against last years 2nd best defense, with an offensive line that’s never played a single game together, and a new offensive scheme. 

If you had high hopes for this one you let your fandom take over. 

I went to the game (fandom takeover).  Sam needs time, not just play to play, but long term.

This is the painful part, it’s going to get better. ? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I respect you for your down to Earth and realistic viewpoints and I'm happy that I can still say that after this ridiculous day where so many have lost their sh*t.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

@nico002 on the other hand, gets frustrated when I don’t join in what I feel is over the top praise a lot of the time for Darnold. He doesn’t seem to understand that taking a wait and see, even sometimes critical approach to how he plays, doesn’t disqualify you from being a fan.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Even management should be held accountable!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/eO6PN9LrFr">pic.twitter.com/eO6PN9LrFr</a></p>&mdash; O.J. Simpson (@TheRealOJ32) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRealOJ32/status/1170823093624815616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 8, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sam did not look good today.  But  I think the poor play of the O line and the recovers failing to get separation. Was the issue.   My bigger concern at moment is this O line going to be better with Kalil.  U can laugh but Sam played some of his football at end of year with Harrison at center.  Kalil has been an all pro but missed the entire off season and dropped a ton of weight.   It's gonna take him time.   Harrison may be the better option currently.  And I have never been a fan of Winters.   

This is an excellent point.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Um.  He is 7-1 as a starter in the regular season.  Won the afc north last year and took his team to the playoffs.

One game my ass.

You can’t win this battle here. Jet fans hate other team’s young QBs.

I said last year I thought Mayfield and Jackson were both going to be good QBs, got laughed at.

I also said there was nothing so far that proved either Allen or Darnold were better then each other. Got laughed at.

When the Giants drafted Daniel Jones, I said he probably should’ve been taken at 17, but would be a good QB. I got laughed at.

So far, from what I’ve seen, the only one I was wrong about was Jones. Gentleman looks like he was right taking him at 6 instead of 17. ?

The more I think about this game the reality is that we they didn’t play well, but actually played well enough to win. The main issue that needs to be immediately addressed is the kicker. If we had one that was really an NFL kicker we would have squeaked out this very poor showing and still walked away with the W, and lots of other issues to address for week 2.

21 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You can’t win this battle here. Jet fans hate other team’s young QBs.

I said last year I thought Mayfield and Jackson were both going to be good QBs, got laughed at.

I also said there was nothing so far that proved either Allen or Darnold were better then each other. Got laughed at.

When the Giants drafted Daniel Jones, I said he probably should’ve been taken at 17, but would be a good QB. I got laughed at.

So far, from what I’ve seen, the only one I was wrong about was Jones. Gentleman looks like he was right taking him at 6 instead of 17. ?

Off what? Dude played 2 plays today and turned it over. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Off what? Dude played 2 plays today and turned it over. 

If you’re talking about Jones, I didn’t watch the Giants game after the first half. I didn’t know he got in the game today.

I was talking about how he looked in the preseason. Granted, it was against 2nd stringers, but he looked as good as anyone possibly could.

If I had to guess, I think he’s going to get his first start no sooner then after their bye week. I’m not saying he’s going to come in and set the league on fire, few do. Darnold didn’t either.

What I am saying is I think he’s shown he wasn’t the 5th or 6th round talent so many said he was. He’s shown 1st round talent. I think he’s going to be a good QB for the NYG.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If you’re talking about Jones, I didn’t watch the Giants game after the first half. I didn’t know he got in the game today.

I was talking about how he looked in the preseason. Granted, it was against 2nd stringers, but he looked as good as anyone possibly could.

If I had to guess, I think he’s going to get his first start no sooner then after their bye week. I’m not saying he’s going to come in and set the league on fire, few do. Darnold didn’t either.

What I am saying is I think he’s shown he wasn’t the 5th or 6th round talent so many said he was. He’s shown 1st round talent. I think he’s going to be a good QB for the NYG.

Maybe if they get rid of Shumur 

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Our receivers look awful

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Today Sam looked ironically like Gase’s previous qb Ryan Tannehill.  No turnovers, dunk and dink 

Robby looked pretty good badly beating the bills secondary on that last possession.  We had 2 chances at easy long TDs.  Sam underthrew one and overthrew another.  Sam is going to be really good, he was really bad yesterday.  It wasn't all his fault, they had protection issues with a new OL playing together for the first time but plays were there to be made and Sam will be sick watching the film.

9 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Lamar played great today, however:
1. He played against the dolphins
2. His coach is light years ahead of ours
3. He played against the dolphins who will win 2 games this year (probably against the Jets)

And on a bunch of his TD throws Lamar was standing back there all alone with no one bothering him. 

Sam was harassed all day. 

This game was more a reflection of the line than Sam. 

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He looked nervous and very unsure of himself. 

Constantly throwing off back foot not stepping into throws at all. This is understood since the Bills got great push in the pocket the entire game but he did this a lot last year as well. Why there were not more designed roll outs is a mystery.

He completely missed on two plays that could have won the game, severely under throwing Robbie Anderson when he had the defender beat by five yards by throwing off back foot. 

He did a very poor job trying to escape the rush by running forward right into the teeth of the rush rather than trying to escape to the outside. 

While I mention these things, they are not by any means all Darnolds Fault but he needs to do a much better job under pressure and throw the ball away when nothing is there. Also we should have shortened the routes to help him get the ball out quicker.

Also where in the hell was Ty Montgomery ? Why deactivate Powell who runs very good to the outside ? We could have used that burst of both players to beat that rush yet we kept running right into it. This was the type of game that did not fit Bell's running style we needed more burst to the outside rather than Bells patience

16 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

All Darnold needed to do was convert a 1st down to keep Allen and our Mosley-less defense off the field. Game was in his hands, which is where you want it if he’s really a franchise QB. This is the most doubt I’ve had if that. 

Yes, the OL is bad, but great ones over come.

Sure, "Great ones overcome", but not every single game. I'm willing to let the season play out. The guy is a stud.