1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, we all acknowledge that he’s taking over a team that’s been constructed over the last decade by three of the worst personnel men in the history of the sport. He just dumped the worst of those three in May, after the draft. The team sucks, and it’d suck if Belichick was coaching it today. I’m all for a good old-fashioned barn-burning, but declaring Gase a failure today is extreme.

Can we just use his previous several years of failure instead?

• Upvote 2

OL is from hunger. But Gase needs to understand that if he's going to get anywhere it means scoring points. Keep in a blocking back (which they did do some today and it was effective), keep in a TE, roll out Darnold, have an extra OL , screens, play action, you gotta do something to slow down the pass rush. Now the OL's awfulness is why you cannot throw but 7 yards, and as we saw late in the game Bell, great as he is, is going to get worn down with this much work. And defenses are going to key on him if there isn't any kind of passing game. 

And for F___'s sake, if it's 3rd and 6, throw it past the stick, let the ball do the work. Why is that so hard? 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I think if you repeatedly do the same thing all game long, eventually the defense will figure it out. Gase had the highest % of short passes in the league last year  in Miami and today looked the part. Yeah, the pressure was there, but you have to take shots and attempt to stretch the field once in awhile or you end up with the underneath coverage and multiple batted balls. 

Can’t argue.  Very basic.

But again could it be when your QBs are Osweiller and Matt Moore, is that conservatism by necessity?

He didn’t dink and dunk with Peyton Manning at the end of his career.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

He was supposed to soar to new heights and be the grand qb whisperer after he was not saddled with tannehill who he was hired 100% to make into a good QB.  The offense looked unimaginative and sh*tty, looked worse than guys like bates and morton.

It’s still hard for me to understand what people were so excited about with this hire 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, we all acknowledge that he’s taking over a team that’s been constructed over the last decade by three of the worst personnel men in the history of the sport. He just dumped the worst of those three in May, after the draft. The team sucks, and it’d suck if Belichick was coaching it today. I’m all for a good old-fashioned barn-burning, but declaring Gase a failure today is extreme.

Not declaring him a failure beyond his complete failure today. 

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Saving all his tricks for 2022 I get it

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

what did you expect ? I cant believe some fans bought into the fact that the guy that ran a TERRIBLE offense with the Dolphins was going to be anything but terrible here

the bills are a bad team and to blow a lead at home to them is brutal and on the coach

the play calling was terrible on offense and way to conservative

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

It sure seemed that gase thought when he was up 16-0, that if he didn’t turn it over he’d win.  So he played it safe on offense, they kept pinning buffalo back inside their 20, but gase didn’t understand the defense was about to fold.  You’d think he’d know by now that you need to keep your foot on the gas pedal to win.  Also was surprised Powell was a scratch, they essentially only used 1 rb, and they really didn’t scheme to get enunwa involved.  I get why they used a conservative game plan, but with pass protection such an issue, they really could have used a guy like Powell in the backfield to block.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

really? he ******* sucks bro. Darnold looked ******* lost running his offense and he was doing exactly what Miami fans said he'd be doing.

Cmon, he's another ******* turd in the giant toilet bowl of sh*t that is the Jets franchise.

• Upvote 1

An out and out disgrace. Guys would of killed Bowles (and rightfully so) for blowing a game like this. This guy gets the blame for this hands down. Enough with excuses, his scheme was horrible, play calling too conservative and his game planning lacked creativity amongst other things. Hopefully, Douglas fires this fraud at the end of the season and we bring in a winning head coach. To borrow a line from Glenn Gary Glenn Ross: A loser is a loser! Good thing we didn’t hire McCarthy because he only had 1 Super Bowl win. Only the Jets would hire a losing head coach over a guy with a proven winning record. Leave it to the johnsons.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Just now, Grandy said:

Gase coached scared today plain and simple.

I'm not going to label him a failure after 1 game, but he NEEDS to be more aggressive. Heck, he was in the preseason.

Played it safe up 16-0 with the way allen was turning it over.  The offense was clearly not in synch and wasn’t able to protect darnold or get guys open downfield.  If allen didn’t self destruct so much the score would have been more lobsided.  

Gase coached scared today plain and simple.
I'm not going to label him a failure after 1 game, but he NEEDS to be more aggressive. Heck, he was in the preseason.

It’s not 1 game, he was a failure in Miami. What makes you think he’s suddenly going to be a better coach? Also, if Darnold regresses, then he’s a goner. No way he pulls rank over Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Can’t argue.  Very basic.

But again could it be when your QBs are Osweiller and Matt Moore, is that conservatism by necessity?

He didn’t dink and dunk with Peyton Manning at the end of his career.

do you think he was calling the plays for Manning? Peyton was always audibling...OMAHA, OMAHA

• Upvote 1

I'm not declaring Gase a failure bit I am a bit worried. 

I mean one of Darnold's strengths is throwing on the run and you don't call one play that rolls the pocket??? 

1. Gives him more time on a day he didn't have time

2. Its one of his major strengths!!!! 

I'm worried about Gase

• Upvote 2

Just now, Y2jets said:

I'm not declaring Gase a failure bit I am a bit worried. 

I mean one of Darnold's strengths is throwing on the run and you don't call one play that rolls the pocket??? 

1. Gives him more time on a day he didn't have time

2. Its one of his major strengths!!!! 

I'm worried about Gase

This 

Look, Big Picture-it's one game. The OL, which is not Gase's nor Douglas's fault. And cannot really fault them for nonperforming defenders across the whole defense. The kicker, well, tryouts should start at 8am tomorrow. 

Small sample, and all that; did Gase take this job to run a conventional offense, or did he come here to really have a serious passing offense? Today in that equation was not encouraging. We've seen this over and over-Groh, Edwards, Ryan, Bowles-boring staid run oriented offense . The division leader for 2 decades scores points. The Pats pass effectively. Either do that or go do something else with your life. This scared run/run/incompletion/punt thing is not gonna work, it never has, it never will, no matter how good Bell is. And you're gonna wear Bell out in 6 weeks doing this. 

I hope today was a cold hard smack by reality that this was not acceptable. We'll see. 

Big picture is basically what we knew already.  We have a young promising QB who is going to be half great/half meh.  We have a stout interior D that is excellent against the run and that has great safety play (Both Maye and Adams were excellent today).  Our secondary and pass rush is not so good.

On O, the Oline is still a problem.  They'll probably turn out to be just a bit below average.  Bell was excellent (so that should be a huge question mark answered in a positive way) as was Crowder (as predicted).  We knew of course that our skill players weren't good enough, and we are badly missing our absent TE and we lack a number 1 wr.

1 minute ago, Hael said:

Big picture is basically what we knew already.  We have a young promising QB who is going to be half great/half meh.  We have a stout interior D that is excellent against the run and that has great safety play (Both Maye and Adams were excellent today).  Our secondary and pass rush is not so good.

On O, the Oline is still a problem.  They'll probably turn out to be just a bit below average.  Bell was excellent (so that should be a huge question mark answered in a positive way) as was Crowder (as predicted).  We knew of course that our skill players weren't good enough, and we are badly missing our absent TE and we lack a number 1 wr.

Gonna discount anything else you say. Adams blitzed several times and didn't get there. Maye had some nice plays but if he hangs onto the INT at 16-0 the game is over. Once Mosely got hurt, needed somebody on the defense to make a play. Neither safety made such a play. Saying they're good players over and over doesn't make it so. 

I don't know what game you were watching, but Adams was one of the few players applying pressure to the QB.  He forced a safety, he clogged up numerous run plays and was just excellent  all around.  Maye was all over the passing lanes, and I don't think I saw him beat a single time last night.

They weren't the problem....

2 minutes ago, Hael said:

I don't know what game you were watching, but Adams was one of the few players applying pressure to the QB.  He forced a safety, he clogged up numerous run plays and was just excellent  all around.  Maye was all over the passing lanes, and I don't think I saw him beat a single time last night.

They weren't the problem....

Keep telling yourself things that aren't true doesn't make it so.

• Sympathy 1

Sometimes all you need is one example to decide.

The second Bowles lost in Buffalo in 2015, most of us knew he was garbage. The 10-6 season couldn’t mask that.

Already, this has been quite revealing for Gase. It wasn’t just losing, it was how we lost. The conservative playcalling. The lack of adjustments.

wash - rinse - repeat.

If we lose to cleveland, which we most likely will...I can see most of the fanbase checking out on this season. It’s already pathetic. Yeah “its only week 1” my ass. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Was yesterday the first game he’s ever coached or is he continuing a trend of coaching terrible offenses?

You know the answer.    

• Upvote 1