Quick takes on the game

jetstream23

* The Defense is CJ Mosley + 10 dudes. When CJ is out it’s just 11 dudes.

* Buffalo D is very good and a little underrated but Gase needed a better plan. Never found a rhythm.

* Jets OLine was completely outplayed and when Sam did have time he either didn’t recognize anyone open OR there was nobody open. Hugely frustrating day on O.

* Running the whole O through Bell won’t go well.

* I don’t need to comment on the K. We all know.

Other observations:

- Bell and Crowder are clearly the top 2 options on this offense.

- Bell is as advertised and we’re lucky to have him.

- Other than Bell the best offseason acquisition may have been Gregg Williams. Unfortunate to give up the final 17 points of the game but a team can only hide so many deficiencies at a time.  A month ago ILB was the strength of the team with CJ and Avery Williamson.  When Neville Hewitt and Blake Cashman are running the D it’s going to be ugly.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Gregg Williams is trash tier. He has been for the last several years. Why do people think his results will be so different for the Jets?

He doesn't get to play Allen every week and he couldn't even stop him.

So the defense lost this game?  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, usapaw said:

So the defense lost this game?  

I get where you're trying to go, but despite early play and the horrendous O...they allowed 17 4th quarter points. Williams defenses have been trash for years. Outside of Allen gifting them turnovers...they broke down when they needed to make a stand. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I get where you're trying to go, but despite early play and the horrendous O...they allowed 17 4th quarter points. Williams defenses have been trash for years. Outside of Allen gifting them turnovers...they broke down when they needed to make a stand. 

Very Rex like.  Give up big leads. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Gregg Williams is trash tier. He has been for the last several years. Why do people think his results will be so different for the Jets?
Four turnovers one for a touchdown...Probably the best defensive performance of week one and our defensive coordinator is "trash tier" no he doesn't get to play Allen every week but was not the worst qb this week either. Who would you have rather we hired for our d coordinator?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Four turnovers one for a touchdown...Probably the best defensive performance of week one and our defensive coordinator is "trash tier" no he doesn't get to play Allen every week but was not the worst qb this week either. Who would you have rather we hired for our d coordinator?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

anyone who has had a defense ranked higher than 23rd in the last few years? 

20 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yup. If you added another ten minutes they would have marched down a few more times. We couldn't stop the run. I don't understand why Quinnen wasnt in the game after he caused the snap fumble.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lil Bit Special said:

They were a contributing factor by allowing 17 points when the jets only scored 16 as a team.

Defense scored 8 points... offense scored 8 ... lol

This game was lost by an ineffective offense (we've read this story before) and a kicker... 

yes at the end of the game the bills went down the field and scored points but it should have been out of their reach if we had anything that looked like a competent NFL offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Our D was much better with Mosley in there. And with him out they caved. Look we don’t know if he’s going to miss games. But if that’s the kind of team we have when your best players are injured and next man up doesn’t do the job there are probs. It’s not a good team workout depth. 

34 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Yup. If you added another ten minutes they would have marched down a few more times. We couldn't stop the run. I don't understand why Quinnen wasnt in the game after he caused the snap fumble.

He left the game with an ankle injury

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Trash tier? You are a football God.

26 minutes ago, Stark said:

Defense scored 8 points... offense scored 8 ... lol

This game was lost by an ineffective offense (we've ready this story before) and a kicker... 

yes at the end of the game the bills went down the field and scored points but it should have been out of their reach if we had anything that looked like a competent NFL offense.

The defense collapsed. The offense sucked. Our coaching staff is pitiful. It was a team loss and nobody comes out of this one without blame

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

* The Defense is CJ Mosley + 10 dudes. When CJ is out it’s just 11 dudes.

Its CJ + what looks like it has the potential to be a top-tier safety duo (if Maye stays healthy) ... and then everybody else. Maye was ballin' out there today, as was Adams (though he missed on a few blitz opportunties that didn't always look like his fault).

The CB situation is what we thought it was going to be, no surprises there. 

The D line was probably the most dissapointing. Totally lacked energy and aggression in those last two Bills scoring drives. I keep waiting for Leo to prove me right but its becoming clear he hasn't got the tools to consistently beat his matchup.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

First post here. After the game, I read through the gameday thread to see the evolution of the rollercoaster that was had here. As a Bills fan, we certainly had our own.

Both of our teams spent most of the game waiting for our offenses to do something. Granted, we seemed to move the ball a bit, but generally punting (Jets) is better than turnovers (Bills). My greatest fear was the team going to Barkley at QB at the half. That would have destroyed Allen's morale.

In my opinion, the Jets two immediate needs are OL and K. I actually like your top two receivers (and of course Bell counts as one as well), but they cant produce if your QB gets no time in the pocket. I agree with some of the posters that rolling out Darnold bootleg and screen passes (not on 3rd down) to Bell can mask OL deficiencies (the Bills had to do that with Allen last year).

Aside from the W, my takeaway for the Bills was the team not mailing it in after the 1H. Especially the defense. I am sure they felt like they were doing all the work and getting no returns.

I know your immediate schedule is intimidating, but the Browns didn't look that great today. Here's to hoping we each get at least one win vs. the Pats*** this year.

Good luck until week 17.

• Upvote 1

That's not fair. Williams isn't trash. He's respectable around the league. He does have a super bowl ring as a d-coordinator  for the Saints and did a great job against the 1999 Rams' Greatest Show On Turf in the super bowl. As far as we know Mosley could be the only competent player on the Jets' defense. Its not like he allowed 40+ like that debacle last year against the Bills.  

Let me go the rest of the way: 

The defense delivered FOUR (4) turnovers the offense scored ZERO points off them.

The defense scored the same amount of points as the offense did: 8-8.

The offense's lack of snaps left the defense on the field for way more plays than they should have been, which not only caused them to wear down but caused the injury to Moseley. 

Say what ever you want about Gregg Williams, but his defense played way better than the offense did today.

• Upvote 3

Jets had 4 turnovers. How is this the defense's fault?

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

- Other than Bell the best offseason acquisition may have been Gregg Williams. Unfortunate to give up the final 17 points of the game but a team can only hide so many deficiencies at a time.  A month ago ILB was the strength of the team with CJ and Avery Williamson.  When Neville Hewitt and Blake Cashman are running the D it’s going to be ugly.

Not sure I buy into this. Williams has not really been effective in a while, and our early success today was as much about Buffalo mistakes as our defense. Sort of looked very much like the Bowles defense to be honest. WAY too much blitzing without regard to coverage, and he goes soft at the end. He is very very well spoken I will give him that. But I am not that sure he fits the modern NFL as a DC that well. To be honest I didnt really agree with any offseason move we made other than finally firing McCagnan.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

That's not fair. Williams isn't trash. He's respectable around the league. He does have a super bowl ring as a d-coordinator  for the Saints and did a great job against the 1999 Rams' Greatest Show On Turf in the super bowl. 

..and as I've said, since he came back from his suspension, he's hasn't had good defenses. What he did twenty years ago doesn't matter. How many teams does he have to go through with "bad" rosters before it becomes apparent that he's just not good anymore either? ..and if he needs a great roster to have a good defense...what's the point?

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

..and as I've said, since he came back from his suspension, he's hasn't had good defenses. What he did twenty years ago doesn't matter. How many teams does he have to go through with "bad" rosters before it becomes apparent that he's just not good anymore either? ..and if he needs a great roster to have a good defense...what's the point?

Criticizing the defense in this game is a joke. The team had four turnovers in the first half and hecoffensecturned that into zero points. Then Mosley gets injured. After that the defense was not the same. Gase ran a pop gun offense today. 4 yards per attempt in today’s NFL is horrible. And the kicker contributed as well. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Enough with the Rex crap. The team was bad from 2011 on and the offense was putrid. If he is so wonderful, why has he gone five years without another coaching job?

He got another coaching job. It's only been 3 years since he has not been a coach. 

However, his time as a head coach with the Bills was a disaster. It's almost like immediately hiring the former losing coach from a division opponent is a really bad idea.