jetstream23

Quick takes on the game

peeps keep propping up our overrated safeties. maye cost us 3 pts, vedvik 4

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

..and as I've said, since he came back from his suspension, he's hasn't had good defenses. What he did twenty years ago doesn't matter. How many teams does he have to go through with "bad" rosters before it becomes apparent that he's just not good anymore either? ..and if he needs a great roster to have a good defense...what's the point?

Like I said, he's respectable. He's not The Hoodie but he's not terrible either. 

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

Yup. If you added another ten minutes they would have marched down a few more times. We couldn't stop the run. I don't understand why Quinnen wasnt in the game after he caused the snap fumble.

Gase said Q has an ankle issue

The OL, K and CBs lost us this game. Rarely was there time to throw or a clean pocket. I think replacing Harrison was a mistake. But you can look at one guy on the oline and say he’s good and should stay. They all could be replaced. 

Robby needs to make more effort on those long passes and go up and get it. Not just hope it drops in your hands. 

2 hours ago, Jetpain said:

Little surprised that Ty Montgomery wasn't more involved.   Especially when Sam is not getting ball downfield and dumping the ball off.  

Wondering if he was a preseason mirage. When he  was going against soon to be stockbrokers and and firefighters, he was all world, but against a real NFL defense looked overmatched. Or is the OL THAT BAD, also possible.

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

CBs lost us this game.

???

NO, they pitched damn near a shutout but couldn't hold up for the absurd number of snaps they had to play because "the Franchise" couldn't score a single point off of 4 turnovers.

Don't put this on the defense...they scored as many points as the offense did.

• Upvote 5
  • Butt Fumble 1

I see another wasted season coming up & we've just witnessed that the Bills have way more talent than us on defense. This makes me sad.

Turn this game around & the Jets have 4 turnovers & a turnover on downs, this Bills team would have SLAUGHTERED US, and this also makes me sad.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I get where you're trying to go, but despite early play and the horrendous O...they allowed 17 4th quarter points. Williams defenses have been trash for years. Outside of Allen gifting them turnovers...they broke down when they needed to make a stand. 

Meh.  They also took away 4 turnovers and scored a safety, overall scoring 8 points.  Meaning they let up a NET 9 points.  If the O can't score more than 8 points with the addition of 5 turnovers, its the offense's fault, period.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Four turnovers one for a touchdown...Probably the best defensive performance of week one and our defensive coordinator is "trash tier" no he doesn't get to play Allen every week but was not the worst qb this week either. Who would you have rather we hired for our d coordinator?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Maye also had a pick and a nice return negated by a penalty away from the play, and dropped one late that would have salted the game.  So the defense did what it could and the DC put them in a position to to excel.  This came down to a rattled Darnold behind a shaky OL that was beaten all day by a very good Bills defense.  

24 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

Like I said, he's respectable. He's not The Hoodie but he's not terrible either. 

25 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

peeps keep propping up our overrated safeties. maye cost us 3 pts, vedvik 4

If Maye hangs onto that INT, the game was over. 

Adams whiffed every time he blitzed, and did very little in coverage.

Tru Johnson should be cut. To hell with the money, he's not an NFL corner. This guy is STEALING. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

He left the game with an ankle injury

Brutal to lose Q and Mosley.

Also brutal, Anderson's penalty.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lil Bit Special said:

The defense collapsed. The offense sucked. Our coaching staff is pitiful. It was a team loss and nobody comes out of this one without blame

Of course team game everyone gets blame but its

60% offense

25% kicker

15% defense 

and maybe even less on the D.

4 turnovers and 8 points should guarantee a win. But when the offense can’t keep the ball, run some clock, and score there’s a bigger problem. 

Gase offensive “guru” looked like Bowles all over. The defense played at a higher level than last season. The kicker straight sucks. 

• Upvote 1

Overall I though the defense was opportunistic early basically getting every bounce of the ball as a turnover. Allen moved the ball all over the field early on the team but they he would fumble, a ball would bounce of a receiver to a Jet, hed fumble again and so on. Still it was surprising how much they fell apart with Mosley out. At least before that it was more dink and dunk. They just were right up and down the field with him off.

Would agree the offensive line is a mess. Hoping that this is a byproduct of not really playing enough in the preseason. Kalil was a risky signing and the Jets trade for Osemele was always a 50/50 proposition. The Bills really overwhelmed them today.

Crowder I think fits the mold of what Gase wants and they forced him the ball way too much. You cant win constantly running these short 4 yard passes that are as effective of passing to a RB. Darnold was off on the few shots he took to Anderson but at least Anderson was open so that is promising.

The game had a bit of a feel of that Browns game last year where we had the lead early and then when it turned into a game Darnold couldnt switch from the dink and dunk dont make a mistake mode into a downfield passer. On the bright side its just the first game. Last year the team looked great in game 1 and barely won the rest of the year. Ill hope this is the opposite.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why everyone if trying to pin this on defense OR offense - as if both didn't have issues today. 

We got a lot of turnovers on defense but several of them occurred late in series and got the ball back to our offense at midfield or just into our side of the field. We scored a touchdown off the safety, another off the pic and missed a gimme fg off the two turnovers that occurred on their side of the field (iirc). The defense was 'bending not breaking' but it def broke when Mosley and QW left the game. I don't understand the vitriol to QW either, he made a grown man play to cause a fumble when we needed one bad and then didn't get snaps (I hear he hurt his ankle). Trumaine was giving away a first down with the amount of field he was giving away... Thank goodness we scraped those turnovers together. 

The offense quickly discovered the Oline couldn't give Sam the time needed to run the game plan so switched to straight dink and dunk. We struggled to open lanes for Bell too. Our line couldn't even pick up defenders on pre-planned short passes... how many got batted down?

It was rough sledding all over. 

Hewitt played well.  Good role player.  
Yup I noticed him too. Very active, solid player.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, would you care to show me where he's had a topped ranked defense in the last 10 years? How about just one in the top half of the league?
He may not have had a top tier defense in however many years, for whatever the reason (poor coaching? lack of talent?) but he had his unit ready to play today and they were excellent for the majority of the game.

If the offense played even half as well as the defense did today then we are winning this game by double digits no question.

• Upvote 1

Robbie Anderson was close to making a couple of huge plays today for us.

From what I remember he was overthrown twice on go routes that would of been 6 (one of them was on our final drive), and there was another play in the endzone on a go route where the DB got his hand in there at the last second, making a great play.

We need to give Darnold a little more protection and time to throw the ball downfield, and if we do, Robbie is going to make the game breaking plays he's capable of.

• Upvote 2

I can’t blame Williams and the D. The fact William disguise our weak secondary the whole game until CJ went down is a great job. Buffalo exposed it at the end. The that Gase didn’t adjust in the second half for the O scares me. It’s week 1 so I’m not panicking but I am worried about this head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Gregg Williams is trash tier. He has been for the last several years. Why do people think his results will be so different for the Jets?

He doesn't get to play Allen every week and he couldn't even stop him.

GW is an undisciplined hobo with anger management issues and the penalties on D reflect the type of person they hired

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Our line couldn't even pick up defenders on pre-planned short passes... how many got batted down?

I don't understand why people believe it's the OL's responsibility for the QB to not get a ball batted. throw a pump fake or whatever. find a lane. The Line has to form a pocket AND cut these guys down at the knees? what else do you want? a lazy-boy recliner? Darnold's best plays of the day (Crowder) came when he had all day to throw (4+ seconds usually to crowder)

Josh Allen had a ball batted into a Hewett INT by the way these things happen 

the real problem was the kicker who misses an XP and a FG and they lose by 1. 

Jason Myers was Woody Johnson's polo budget.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, phill1c said:

Let me go the rest of the way: 

The defense delivered FOUR (4) turnovers the offense scored ZERO points off them.

The defense scored the same amount of points as the offense did: 8-8.

The offense's lack of snaps left the defense on the field for way more plays than they should have been, which not only caused them to wear down but caused the injury to Moseley. 

Say what ever you want about Gregg Williams, but his defense played way better than the offense did today.

It's amazing how people don't get this. 

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Gregg Williams is trash tier. He has been for the last several years. Why do people think his results will be so different for the Jets?

He doesn't get to play Allen every week and he couldn't even stop him.

He has basically zero play makers .. will be few yrs before we rid stench of Big Mac 

Gregg Williams having so many random players blitz and try and sack Allen was kind of funny.  It was like watching The Flying Zucchini Brothers cannon routine from The Muppet Show.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MicDrass1 said:

Trumaine Johnson doesn’t want to play football.  He got his $.  He doesn’t care.  Overrated and slow. 

Saw a few plays where he was scared or unwilling to tackle. Just wanted to shove someone out of bounds. Going forward, F**k guaranteed contacts. 

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He has basically zero play makers .. will be few yrs before we rid stench of Big Mac 

and all the years before this one? He hasn't had playmakers?