WTF Are We Going to Do at Kicker?

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We lost by a point and the crappy kicker cost us 4 points

I think Math agrees with me

Sure, if you didn't watch the game.  He missed an extra point and we made up for that with a 2 point conversion.  We also got a rare safety, we were up 16-0 in the 3rd, 16-3 in the 4th.  The kicker stinks but we didn't lose because of him. 4 created turnovers to zero PLUS a safety which is basically a 5th turnover and all our O could manage was 8 pts.  Even if he kicks the FG and extra point that's only 3 more points and 11 pts with essentially 5 TOs is pathetic.

Watching on TV You could see it in the kickers face before even attempted that FG that he wasn't making it.   He was rattled and is not a professional kicker. And how the  F the raven got the Vikings to give up a Draft pick for this guy is utterly amazing .  Not sure what AG and JD  and ST coach saw in this K all week that gave them the confidence he was better than Bertolet or someone else available.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The kicker was awful but he didn't cost us the game.  Scoring 8 offensive points off of 3 TOs(the 4th the D scored a TD and they also scored a safety which is like a TO as we got the ball back) is why we lost.

I agree. 

Kicker is not the first thing I am bitching about after this game. Not scoring more points off of 4 turnovers is. The game was lost by the offense's mediocrity

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Vedvik is the worst I've ever seen. Not even NFL caliber. Douglas fcked up on this signing big time, Maccagnan would've handled kicker better. Bertolet wasn't worse than Vedvik.

I said it when they signed him. This felt like a "clever" told ya so move. People wondered why they weren't in on him when Minnesota traded for him...them Minnesota found out he's terrible. If a team trades a pick and let's a guy go before the season starts...there is a reason, but the Jets swooped in...

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Vedvik is the worst I've ever seen. Not even NFL caliber. Douglas fcked up on this signing big time, Maccagnan would've handled kicker better. Bertolet wasn't worse than Vedvik.

Maccagnan is the reason we have an issue at kicker.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

Douglas cut Bertolet, for Vedvik. Bertolet could hit the broad side of a barn.

Neither of them are reliable. Bertolet also missed extra points and FG’s. There’s no guarantee he makes either of those kicks. Especially the fg with a bad hold which most seem to be overlooking.

You have 8 days and you bring in the highest ranked unemployed kickers. You work with Vedvik and see if you can fix the problem. But the Vikings and the Ravens couldn’t. He’s also a punter so he has value and worth putting on the practice squad. You do not go into the Monday night game with him which as a night game could be windier unless he starts coming around in practice. The missed FG was also a bad snap. The holder barely had put it down this might have thrown him off and maybe any kicker in that spot. 

Just now, M_Sully said:

Neither of them are reliable. Bertolet also missed extra points and FG’s. There’s no guarantee he makes either of those kicks. Especially the fg with a bad hold which most seem to be overlooking.

I saw Bertolet hit one. I have yet to see Vedvik connect in 2 games with 2 teams.

• Upvote 1

Vedvik is a great punter and kickoff guy.  He’s not a fg kicker.  Not sure why the nfl can’t understand this.  Sure he was like 17/17 on fgs in 2 years of preseason work for the ravens.  The ravens coaches know how to work ST.  They are great ST coaches.  Unit is very in sinc.  The jets snapper and holder failed today.  Poorly done.  Vedvik is really good but he’s not his best as a FG kicker.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You have 8 days and you bring in the highest ranked unemployed kickers. You work with Vedvik and see if you can fix the problem. But the Vikings and the Ravens couldn’t. He’s also a punter so he has value and worth putting on the practice squad. You do not go into the Monday night game with him which as a night game could be windier unless he starts coming around in practice. The missed FG was also a bad snap. The holder barely had put it down this might have thrown him off and maybe any kicker in that spot. 

He was lights out with the Ravens that’s why he was traded to the Vikings for a 5th rounder.  His stats in Baltimore are unreal.  I think he even established an nfl kicking record while there.  The jets have problems with snap hold and timing.   

10 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I saw Bertolet hit one. I have yet to see Vedvik connect in 2 games with 2 teams.

And I saw Bertolet miss one. That doesn’t change anything. 

Before his trade to Minnesota, Vedvik was 12/13 on fg (only miss 50+ yds) and 11/11 on extra points in 2 preseasons with Ravens.