Week 1 Game Review

Warfish

-Offense was horrible.  Handed 4 turnovers.  Scored 8 points.  Played soft, played scared, played dink-n-dunk all day long, throwing for 3 when we needed 10-40 almost every time.  Long attempts were wildly off-target.  The O-line was horrible, but so was Darnold.  Crowder looked good, but Bell looked mostly slow to me.  Not the player he was in Pittsburgh.  Maybe rust?  Definitely O-line issues.   

-Specials were weak, Kicker doesn't belong in the NFL.  I guess alot of folks are now with those of us who said "resign Myers" eh?  Too late.

-Defense was better than I expected.  Held Buffalo under 20, and didn't give up 400 yards on the corners, lol.  The GReg Williams blitz-system did ok.  However, the D-line was overall pretty weak, generating little pressure without a Greg Williams mass-blitz-play on.  Alone they were all mostly easily handled, with a few notable exceptions.  Mosely was great, D fell apart without him.  Too bad about the penalty that took away Maye's INT.  Adams, for all his talk, wasn't meaningful to the games outcome, a good safety can only do so much.  Trumaine is a serious liability, he can't cover at all anymore, he's like molasses back there.

-Gase.  This was what my brother the Phins fan said Gase was.  And now he showed it for one week at least.  Uninspired, dink and dunk, soft offense with a scheme that did literally nothing.  I said in the game threa, but it takes a special kind of offensive incompetence to be handed four turnovers (one a pick 6) and still score less than 9 points on offense.  A horrible debut.

Where do they go from here?  Hell if I know, Mosely may be out multiple weeks.  Do Darnold and Gase change literally everything about today's O....I doubt it.  Does Bell speed up some?  Does the O-line gel or is this what they are?  Can Darnold throw a pass over 10 yards to Anderson and complete it?  Any and all of that would help.

Overall, a pretty horrible and disappointing opening home day.  Almost nothing good here.  Mosely pre injury, good.  Crowder, good.  Bell, good..ish.  Everything else.....wow, that was bad.  

Material change is required almost across the board before week 2.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Bell looked "slow."  "Rust?"

Speed is not his game never was.  How about how he got the Jets out of that hole backed up on their own goal line?  How about some of those slippery runs where he made 6 yards out of 3?  How about the skills he displayed as a receiver?

HOW ABOUT THAT 2ND EFFORT TO BREAK AWAY AND CONVERT THE 4TH AND 1 ON THE FINAL DRIVE WHEN WE ALL THOUGHT HE WAS STUFFED?

Yes, he looked slower than he did in Pittsburgh.  Sorry if you disagree.  He wasn't the problem today, he played ok.  Just ok, not all-time-great which is what he was in Pittsburgh.  As stated, alot of that is on the horrible O-line, gameplan and Darnolds ineffectiveness.  

watching the red zone now , teams pass and catch  and gain yards like its nothing ...it takes us 40 years of hard work to get  a first down...

Darnold had 3 minutes and 2 time outs and could only advanced the ball 15 yards!!!!

this was awful

******* Cincy are doing cart wheels on the Seattle 

the chargers has a guy who is a punter who never kicked in a game and he just hit a FG

Just now, Integrity28 said:

In the modern NFL if your defense holds the opponent under 20 (and to zero for 3 quarters) and gets 4 turnovers. You win. If you don't, people should be losing their jobs.

a team who make no turnovers and get the other team to make 4 turnovers win 99% of the time

this is a real stat 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Bell looked great. I was shocked at how well he moved actually. Bizarre point.

Darnold wasn’t even bad. The O-Line was worse than bad. Impossible game. They were forced to dink and dunk, the early efforts at developing plays were disastrous, every single one. Darnold was more likely to get an injury than any rhythm downfield.

The defence was like our classic Rex Ryan days. Good until it mattered, it was never quite dominant though. The turnovers were often bailing us out as they were moving the ball. It will be a bottom 5 pass defence when it’s said and done.

Unless the pass protection dramatically improves - I’m hoping a part of the shambles was the unfamiliarity - We’re staring down the barrel of 0-6. The early bye week may help.

• Upvote 1

Yes, he looked slower than he did in Pittsburgh.  Sorry if you disagree.  He wasn't the problem today, he played ok.  Just ok, not all-time-great which is what he was in Pittsburgh.  As stated, alot of that is on the horrible O-line, gameplan and Darnolds ineffectiveness.  
In Pittsburgh the offensive line wasnt garbage and opposing teams had to worry about the quarterback throwing for large gains. If everyone on the defense can play ten yards from the line of scrimmage it makes that area more crowded and there are less holes for the rb to find.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app