Letting Myers walk might be the dumbest move Mac ever made.

nyjets1969

After today this now might be the biggest blunder of the Mac regime. Maybe even bigger than Hackenberg or Polite. 100 million under the cap and you cant resign the kicker a pro bowl one at that.why wasnt this bum fired years ago? This  move might have ended the season by itself. Macs going away present for all the fans.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I wish we kept Myers but the backup plan was someone that Mac was familiar with and our kicker from 2017, Catanzaro. Who knew he’d be a shell of his former self and retire at such a young age (28).

So I’m not defending Mac (because I loathe him), but it wasn’t such a crazy gamble to bring back a decent kicker that they were familiar with and a FA. 

I do think MANY teams undervalue kickers and with the distance of extra points being further, a good kicker is crucial. Would $4mil/per really have been so bad to spend on a kicker? Many teams are guilty of this shortsightedness and it derails entire seasons. 

Just now, usapaw said:

Yeah, this loss is on Mac.....not. This is on Sam Darnold and Adam Gase.

Douglas gave 9 million to a center who clearly wasn't ready today and signed a kicker who has been a train wreck the last month...

Jets fans:  I BLAME MACC

• Upvote 2

Jason Myers makes those kicks today game over Jets win . Not defending the team as a whole but there will be games like this and that's when a kicker is important letting Myers walk with no back up plan and 100 million in cap space is the final topping to the worse GM this team has probably ever had.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Douglas gave 9 million to a center who clearly wasn't ready today and signed a kicker who has been a train wreck the last month...

Jets fans:  I BLAME MACC

Trying to clean up Mac’s mess is not an overnight project 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Starting with completely botching the fg kicker situation ain’t a good start

He didn’t botch it. It was pre-botched. Like I said you don’t unbotch this mess overnight. He had no draft or FA to work with 

I remember making a big deal about this when it happened. Folks told me that it wasn't a big deal. 

Today showed that it was a big deal. Matter of fact, the entire preseason showed that it was a big deal. 

And If anyone is wondering, while the Jets couldnt even hit a PAT, let alone field goals, Meyers hit all 3 of his PAT's in a game that Seattle won by 1 point, 21-20. 

He earned his pay by hitting all of his PAT's while the Bengals kicker missed a key FG. 

Pay kickers when they perform. Dont let them walk and then give the GM an excuse by making it seem like the only reason Meyers was good was because of our ST coach. 

If it was really the coach, we'd have another kicker in here kicking through the uprights. Goes to show that the talent deserved some of the credit.