Mobile ticketing & the game day experience

Dcat

Game day experience?!?!? GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE ??!?!?!?

Just to qualify my comments: I had Jets ST for over 4 decades and very rarely missed games. I've had FST to the Mets for 15years, plans for others and went to over 1,500 games at Shea. I shared FST for the Rangers for decades and even had ST to the Knicks even though I don't like B-Ball. I go to Red Bull stadium, indoor soccer and lacrosse when it existed, travelled to Albany for Empire arena football, made a number of minor league baseball weekends, and even travelled all over the world going to other sporting events in Europe, South America and even baseball tour of Japan. As you may gather, I love going to games and the Mrs. comes along on each and every one. There's even more than this but I assume you get the point. 

But NOW, it sucks going to these things. Why? Because the team sucks? Heck no, I have had years of suck and it doesn't bother me. Because the price is ridiculous? Well maybe partly on principle, but it still doesn't break the bank. But now I am done because YOU the fan makes the game day experience horrible.  

Well probably not you personally as an upstanding member of this great board unless you were in sect 301 last night with your Dad in a Namath jersey and you and your brother in Adams jerseys.  You have no idea how rude it is to jump up on very positive play so the person behind you does not have a chance to see it, or stand constantly when NO ONE ELSE is. Are you so stupid that you think by you standing and yelling in the 300 level, approx. 1 mile above the action will really make any difference at all? You are idiots and I would wish ill upon you but I am too old to burn any karma.

Game day experience? Yeah right. The only one worthwhile is on HD TV in your living room (or den as the case may be)

So if you are one of these idiots who have no idea of common courtesy that we enjoyed for so many years in the only real home stadium we that had in Queens, %^$% YOU. 

Yeesh. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Game day experience?!?!? GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE ??!?!?!?

Just to qualify my comments: I had Jets ST for over 4 decades and very rarely missed games. I've had FST to the Mets for 15years, plans for others and went to over 1,500 games at Shea. I shared FST for the Rangers for decades and even had ST to the Knicks even though I don't like B-Ball. I go to Red Bull stadium, indoor soccer and lacrosse when it existed, travelled to Albany for Empire arena football, made a number of minor league baseball weekends, and even travelled all over the world going to other sporting events in Europe, South America and even baseball tour of Japan. As you may gather, I love going to games and the Mrs. comes along on each and every one. There's even more than this but I assume you get the point. 

But NOW, it sucks going to these things. Why? Because the team sucks? Heck no, I have had years of suck and it doesn't bother me. Because the price is ridiculous? Well maybe partly on principle, but it still doesn't break the bank. But now I am done because YOU the fan makes the game day experience horrible.  

Well probably not you personally as an upstanding member of this great board unless you were in sect 301 last night with your Dad in a Namath jersey and you and your brother in Adams jerseys.  You have no idea how rude it is to jump up on very positive play so the person behind you does not have a chance to see it, or stand constantly when NO ONE ELSE is. Are you so stupid that you think by you standing and yelling in the 300 level, approx. 1 mile above the action will really make any difference at all? You are idiots and I would wish ill upon you but I am too old to burn any karma.

Game day experience? Yeah right. The only one worthwhile is on HD TV in your living room (or den as the case may be)

So if you are one of these idiots who have no idea of common courtesy that we enjoyed for so many years in the only real home stadium we that had in Queens, %^$% YOU. 

Yeesh. 

geez... everybody stood almost all the time at shea stadium, especially in the field level seats that had little pitch.  Spent much of my youth there.  

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Well, today's Jets email featured a poll asking all about the fan experience so I let 'em have it.

And when it asked where I go to get my Jets news, discussion forums weren't an option. 

So much for the integrity of polls.  Seems the Jets are really plugged-in to their fanbase.

SAR I

I agree the poll minimizes the impact on the forums. I do know because I have been told by several high ranking Jets employees that they read these forums when they want to know what people are thinking. They said Twitter is hard to get a pulse because the tweets are all over the place. Forum threads are one stop shopping to see what people think.

The Jets are probably biased against forums because theirs failed and they had to shut it down. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Agree with SAR.  I perform my own extremely scientific polls called attending every game, walking around and looking around the stadium, and there's no evidence whatsoever to support the claim that Jets fans "like" the constant noise bombardment that the PA staff subjects them to.

Well what you should do is tell everyone to not respond when they say make some noise. That will learn them lol.

6 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

The black towels were such a stupid idea.  Impossible to see in person and I am sure it was even worse on TV.  Good points on crap they do that has been annoying for years.  

I hate the towels and flags as in game items. Like don't tell us to wave them, it is stupid. Drunk people hitting everyone in the head and it blocks the view for many. Personally I like the towels and flags but basically as a give away item only. Hand them out on the way out the door, not in.

6 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

People usually arrive there before the gates to park open up.  Yesterday the time was 3:15.  They used to scan the passes of the people who got on line first before the gates would open but at the home opener he flew in before he was allowed.  Once one person does that it gets ruined for everyone so yesterday it wasn't allowed.  

He was pretty obnoxious and 3:14 he’s standing up one foot on the gas and break other one on the running board of his truck yelling at security at the trooper.  He was drinking heavily before so why wasn’t he stopped?  He then hits the gas as soon as the gates were up and never had his pass scanned.  

That is crazy, I have seen his Facebook videos I know he gets there like a million hours early. I met him a few times when we were doing tailgating videos. He always seemed like a good dude every time we dealt with him he was nice. I haven't been over there in years, but I tell you a few years ago his tailgate was one of the best in the parking lot.  I didn't know any of the people but it seemed like a good crowd. Now I think he is trying to do a bigger tailgate, so many that has changed? I see him promoting the tailgate where in the past it seemed to be a group of 75 or 100 that all knew each other.

I did wonder how JetMan and Hard Hat Scott felt about the Fireman Ed coming back announcement 8 minutes before the season started. Kind of sucks for them.

We park in a green lot and what I learned is to get there 5 minutes after the gates open. We pull in off the Turnpike and can go straight right into our lot. Since we park the RV in the back of the lot, we don't have to fight anyone for a spot at that time. Just hang the JetNation.com sign and enjoy the tailgate.  :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Yeesh.

I have Row 1 seats specifically because I cannot stand "standers" who think they are A #1 Jets fans because they, wait for it, stand up.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I have Row 1 seats specifically because I cannot stand "standers" who think they are A #1 Jets fans because they, wait for it, stand up.

SAR I

I am all for standing but man I get pissed when people randomly stand an block the view of others. Jets have the ball, it is 2nd and 4 let's stand. I would love row 1 seats to not have to deal with any of that.

Just now, Maxman said:

I am all for standing but man I get pissed when people randomly stand an block the view of others. Jets have the ball, it is 2nd and 4 let's stand. I would love row 1 seats to not have to deal with any of that.

Agree completely.  People in my section are very civilized, we don't block each other.  But the pretzel guy?  Different story, he loiters down at Row 1 looking up the steps for a sale and those in Rows 3 to 9 have their sightlines blocked a bit too much.  He can wait for a TV timeout and cause no distractions.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Agree completely.  People in my section are very civilized, we don't block each other.  But the pretzel guy?  Different story, he loiters down at Row 1 looking up the steps for a sale and those in Rows 3 to 9 have their sightlines blocked a bit too much.  He can wait for a TV timeout and cause no distractions.

SAR I

That stuff really annoys the hell out of me. I bought my seats so I sit in the very middle of the row. People to the right, go to the right. On the left, go left. We go to the bathroom coming in and I don't leave my seats at halftime. If I had aisle seats I would go insane with how much people get up and don't watch the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

That stuff really annoys the hell out of me. I bought my seats so I sit in the very middle of the row. People to the right, go to the right. On the left, go left. We go to the bathroom coming in and I don't leave my seats at halftime. If I had aisle seats I would go insane with how much people get up and don't watch the game.

I'm fortunate that there are only 7 seats in my row and own 4 of them.  But my bad luck, the guy with the pair next to me shows up late to every game with his wife, both half in the bag, and before the first half arrives he's made two trips-  one to the men's room, the other to get another beer.  Second half, same thing, dual trips.  As the years go by he and his wife show up less and less, their kids are non-drinkers so that's an improvement.

SAR I

To those asking for an end to the audio visual stuff on the PA, the Knicks did this back in 2017 in a sold out game vs the Warriors. It was universally disliked by the players and fans. Without the stadium audio, the place would turn extremely quiet, and then it would probably kill the biggest reason for going to the game vs watching from the comfort of your home in hd. It's kind of one of those things that you think you don't need until you don't have it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/03/05/knicks-turn-back-the-clock-pulling-the-plug-on-in-game-music-and-sound-effects/

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Same.  Also, I would say 3-4 times in the past 2 seasons (already twice this year), some bozo has come to my seat and told me it was theirs.  :eyeroll:

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, joebabyny said:

To those asking for an end to the audio visual stuff on the PA, the Knicks did this back in 2017 in a sold out game vs the Warriors. It was universally disliked by the players and fans. Without the stadium audio, the place would turn extremely quiet, and then it would probably kill the biggest reason for going to the game vs watching from the comfort of your home in hd. It's kind of one of those things that you think you don't need until you don't have it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/03/05/knicks-turn-back-the-clock-pulling-the-plug-on-in-game-music-and-sound-effects/

@SAR I and I (and the many people who share our opinion) are not asking for a dead quiet stadium atmosphere.  We've never said that.  We're pleading for the PA team to (1) show some damn common sense and discretion in deciding when to play music, do promotions, insist people "make noise", etc, and (2) to chill the hell out with the constant bombardment of way-too-loud mashups of terrible songs, and promotions.  

It shouldn't be this hard.  During commercials, show some old school Jets highlights, or play a good song that hasn't been mutilated.  Like many people here, I've been to a lot of NFL stadiums, and our gameday presentation is among the worst. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Agree.  Stand on defensive third / fourth downs (and don't complain when I do), but other than that, please be seated.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

@SAR I and I (and the many people who share our opinion) are not asking for a dead quiet stadium atmosphere.  We've never said that.  We're pleading for the PA team to (1) show some damn common sense and discretion in deciding when to play music, do promotions, insist people "make noise", etc, and (2) to chill the hell out with the constant bombardment of way-too-loud mashups of terrible songs, and promotions.  

It shouldn't be this hard.  During commercials, show some old school Jets highlights, or play a good song that hasn't been mutilated.  Like many people here, I've been to a lot of NFL stadiums, and our gameday presentation is among the worst. 

"Discretion".  Simple as that. 

When it's 2015 and we're taking the Giants and Patriots to thrilling come-from-behind overtime efforts, hell yeah, crank that MAKE NOISE up to eleven and watch the crowd go crazy.  Great Jets effort, fans chipping in, big win for us all.

But when it's 2019 and a depleted Jets team missing 7 starters can barely muster a first down and it's mid-3rd quarter and it's nearing 11pm and we all know the game is unwinnable and the fans haven't uttered a sound for 30 minutes, turn off the AIR RAID SIREN and the MAKE NOISE nonsense, tell Joe Nolan to stick it with his IT IS THIRD DOWN AND ONE!  Read your audience.  Take the temperature of the crowd.  Not all 3rd downs are alike.  Save it for another day and another battle.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

I brought up these and other concerns to the jets a few years back and they basically blew me off. I tried explaining that we are a professional team but the game experience is far from that. Get rid of the t shirt cannons, garbage can toss and other annoyances others here have mentioned. I told them sometimes you actually want to talk to the person next to you after a play. You simply can't with the constant noise. They are after a different audience and it is not the fan actually coming to watch the game. They are more interested in twitter pictures and some knucklehead holding premium sausage.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Get a petition going or an e-mail bombardment to the NY Jets let them know PSL and fans who pay for tickets are sick and tired of this crap. 

Joe Nolan is the most annoying and obnoxious sound in that stadium, but the NY JETS pay him to do what he's doing. 

Strength in numbers, I agree with you guys 100%.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I brought up these and other concerns to the jets a few years back and they basically blew me off. I tried explaining that we are a professional team but the game experience is far from that. Get rid of the t shirt cannons, garbage can toss and other annoyances others here have mentioned. I told them sometimes you actually want to talk to the person next to you after a play. You simply can't with the constant noise. They are after a different audience and it is not the fan actually coming to watch the game. They are more interested in twitter pictures and some knucklehead holding premium sausage.

I personally couldn't care less about catching a tshirt, but do you see the people go crazy for them? Every time the canon comes our way, my niece and nephew go shooting down the stairs to try to get his attention to get one. They are 9 and 12. The Jets probably have some bit of interest in trying to lock in the young fans like that as lifelong fans and future season ticket holders. And for every kid that gets excited for it, there are 20x as many adults jumping over each other to catch one.

So yeah, it may not interest me, but plenty of people enjoy it, especially in the 100s level. And although it doesn't interest me, it doesn't really bother me either. There is a lot of dead time in a football game where the game isn't actually played, and it has to get filled with something. Those tshirt throws are hugely popular, go to a Knicks game and see the level they take it to. And for however that team is, the Garden is one of the cathedrals of sports in the world.

I will say though, when they were doing the waste management garbage tosses those were kind of cringe-y. Lol.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

I personally couldn't care less about catching a tshirt, but do you see the people go crazy for them? Every time the canon comes our way, my niece and nephew go shooting down the stairs to try to get his attention to get one. They are 9 and 12. The Jets probably have some bit of interest in trying to lock in the young fans like that as lifelong fans and future season ticket holders. And for every kid that gets excited for it, there are 20x as many adults jumping over each other to catch one.

So yeah, it may not interest me, but plenty of people enjoy it, especially in the 100s level. And although it doesn't interest me, it doesn't really bother me either. There is a lot of dead time in a football game where the game isn't actually played, and it has to get filled with something. Those tshirt throws are hugely popular, go to a Knicks game and see the level they take it to. And for however that team is, the Garden is one of the cathedrals of sports in the world.

I will say though, when they were doing the waste management garbage tosses those were kind of cringe-y. Lol.

The t-shirts are fine (though, I'm with you -- I couldn't give less of a F about catching a size XXXXL t-shirt with a corporate logo on it), as are other silly things, like the helmet game, that kids like.  We admit to that above.  But that literally happens 2 or 3 times a game.   It's everything else that makes me want to stick an ice pick through my ear.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Same.  Also, I would say 3-4 times in the past 2 seasons (already twice this year), some bozo has come to my seat and told me it was theirs.  :eyeroll:

I kind of love when that happens. Its like yeah bro, its not. Grab your beer and sausage sandwich and keep walking lol.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"Discretion".  Simple as that. 

When it's 2015 and we're taking the Giants and Patriots to thrilling come-from-behind overtime efforts, hell yeah, crank that MAKE NOISE up to eleven and watch the crowd go crazy.  Great Jets effort, fans chipping in, big win for us all.

But when it's 2019 and a depleted Jets team missing 7 starters can barely muster a first down and it's mid-3rd quarter and it's nearing 11pm and we all know the game is unwinnable and the fans haven't uttered a sound for 30 minutes, turn off the AIR RAID SIREN and the MAKE NOISE nonsense, tell Joe Nolan to stick it with his IT IS THIRD DOWN AND ONE!  Read your audience.  Take the temperature of the crowd.  Not all 3rd downs are alike.  Save it for another day and another battle.

SAR I

This is a very good way of putting it. I agree with this. Things are on auto pilot a bit. They do need common sense.

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

You see how they are shooting the shirts in 3 at a time now? I am like seriously, shooting them in one at a time was so hard that we had to automate this process?  LOL!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Because it's all for sale.  From the sausage videos to the raffle to the [won't say what group but you know what I'm talking about] the Jets make money from this stuff.

And that's just the thing-  we aren't the Jacksonville Jaguars.  We don't have a tarp on 20,000 seats, we lead the AFC in attendance every year, we are one of the wealthiest franchises in the world.  So why do we have to shill and sponsor every minute of every game like the Brooklyn Cyclones?  A Jets fan's reward for being a part of an incredibly successful business enterprise should be the luxury of not being condescended to as if we're fans of a poor team in a weak sport.  This is New York, this is the NFL, we're a $3 billion dollar business.  Do you really need the $500 you get paid every time you blow the PC Richards whistle?  Do you really need to pester the fans like this?

I don't get it.

SAR I

1 hour ago, joebabyny said:

To clarify, NJM and I are not against all this stuff.  Most of it is good for the kids, most of it we expect from any New York area sports arena, we get it.  But there is a difference between Fun Kids Stuff and Bullying For Crowd Noise and that's what we're referring to.

What we're most annoyed about is that the Jets never turn the stuff off and never take into account the mood of the fans based on the game action before hitting the AIR RAID > MAKE NOISE > IT IS THIRD DOWN cadence.  Early in the game and/or if the team is playing balanced offensive/defensive football, that's all good.  But since 2009 the Jets are all about defense and have had a paltry offense so all we seem to do is cheer for nothing to happen.  We don't cheer for scores.  The Jets rarely give us that.  Instead, they bully us to cheer for non-scoring plays and we do it probably by a ratio of 50:1 over the last decade.

All we're asking is for an executive in the Jets in-game experience department to watch the game from the Mezzanine, take a good look at the crowd reaction to WAVE YOUR TOWELS on all three levels, and if you see that the crowd is non-responsive cut the crap out.  Because all it does is a) show that the Jets are out of touch with the fans, b) guilt some fans into participating, and c) embarrass the fans as we have no idea why the team would be asking us to JET UP as our opponents fans giggle at us if we're down by 20 points in the 4th quarter.  Common sense needs to prevail.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I kind of love when that happens. Its like yeah bro, its not. Grab your beer and sausage sandwich and keep walking lol.

For games I attend where I'm only using 2 of my 4 seats, I love it when some drunken knucklehead creeps down to the first row and sits next to me.  They always give an awkward "hello" and I look at them and say, "those are my seats, get out of them before I call security".

SAR I

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Because it's all for sale.  From the sausage videos to the raffle to the [won't say what group but you know what I'm talking about] the Jets make money from this stuff.

And that's just the thing-  we aren't the Jacksonville Jaguars.  We don't have a tarp on 20,000 seats, we lead the AFC in attendance every year, we are one of the wealthiest franchises in the world.  So why do we have to shill and sponsor every minute of every game like the Brooklyn Cyclones?  A Jets fan's reward for being a part of an incredibly successful business enterprise should be the luxury of not being condescended to as if we're fans of a poor team in a weak sport.  This is New York, this is the NFL, we're a $3 billion dollar business.  Do you really need the $500 you get paid every time you blow the PC Richards whistle?  Do you really need to pester the fans like this?

I don't get it.

SAR I

Well that could change, these things are all stuff that Neil Glat was praised for in NFL circles. So maybe they will take a step back a bit.

• Upvote 1