I keep hearing that doink on the FG post from that extra point. My buddy said we “better not lose by one” which I responded nsed “we would”. 

I’m super disappointed that gase for all his brimfire called a Bowles like game.

I’m super mad JD acquired a guy who has never kicked in metlife before and expected everything to go nice and dandy. 

I’m super disappointed in our defense who couldn’t hold on to to a 16-0 lead in the 3rd qtr against the bills! Cmon 

I’m super disappointed that somehow we get 4 turnovers to our zero and um lose? 

Theres a lot to be mad about. That in my opinion  was a pretty bad start. No we didn’t get blown out but bottom line we lost a game we should of won at home. We lost that game, the bills didn’t win it.

Well now on to Cleveland. Let’s see how this team responds. Will we have a real kicker? Cmon JD, get it together. Will gase have a new game plan? Will Kalil not let Sam get trucked all game? Again JD making me nervous. The Jets have a big test against the Browns. With the Pats in week 3, another loss at home in week 2 could start sending the season into a spiral by late September. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, nyjunc said:

Why do people keep talking about the missed extra point?  It was 100% meaningless.  If he makes it we don't go for 2 later on so instead of 1 point after each TD we got none on the first and 2 on the second.

We can bash the kicker for sucking but the missed PAT had no influence on the outcome of the game.

So guess we are Gona gloss over that missed FG as well 🙄

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

No, bash the kicker all you want but the missed PAT did not end up hurting us.  The K was awful, he doesn't look like he's never kicked a football before but his missed FG did not cost us the game.  Our pathetic O cost us the game.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

No, bash the kicker all you want but the missed PAT did not end up hurting us.  The K was awful, he doesn't look like he's never kicked a football before but his missed FG did not cost us the game.  Our pathetic O cost us the game.

If you say kicking didn’t play a huge role in our loss you are blindly defending a part of our game which has been a glaring issue since we let Myers walk

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Why do people keep talking about the missed extra point?  It was 100% meaningless.  If he makes it we don't go for 2 later on so instead of 1 point after each TD we got none on the first and 2 on the second.

We can bash the kicker for sucking but the missed PAT had no influence on the outcome of the game.

This is technically true, but we might still have gone for 2 after the Bell TD even if Vedvik had made the first EP. If he had made the kick, the score would have been 15-0 after the Bell TD, so the Jets might well have gone for 2 to make it 17-0 (two TD plus FG lead) rather than kicking the EP to make it 16-0.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I keep hearing that doink on the FG post from that extra point. My buddy said we “better not lose by one” which I responded nsed “we would”. 

I’m super disappointed that gase for all his brimfire called a Bowles like game.

I’m super mad JD acquired a guy who has never kicked in metlife before and expected everything to go nice and dandy. 

I’m super disappointed in our defense who couldn’t hold on to to a 16-0 lead in the 3rd qtr against the bills! Cmon 

I’m super disappointed that somehow we get 4 turnovers to our zero and um lose? 

Theres a lot to be mad about. That in my opinion  was a pretty bad start. No we didn’t get blown out but bottom line we lost a game we should of won at home. We lost that game, the bills didn’t win it.

Well now on to Cleveland. Let’s see how this team responds. Will we have a real kicker? Cmon JD, get it together. Will gase have a new game plan? Will Kalil not let Sam get trucked all game? Again JD making me nervous. The Jets have a big test against the Browns. With the Pats in week 3, another loss at home in week 2 could start sending the season into a spiral by late September. 

In all fairness to JD, he came in late, didn’t get to draft and is left to pick up others teams scraps. Not an ideal situation to start as GM. It will get better.

This loss hurts, but the I came away feeling the worst about Gase and his ability as a head coach.

Called imo, way too many pass plays in the 3rd and 4th. Not sure if the abundance of screens and swing plays was a direct result of our oline getting badly beaten by Buffalo or is that just what Gase loves to do. My worst fear is that Darnold is being conditioned not to leave the pocket and make the awesome backyard football plays that he seems so good at doing.

Defense was impressive for the 1st 3 quarters until Mosley went down. The effectiveness of a whole unit can't fall on one player, no matter how good he is. I wish Quinnen didn't hurt his ankle because i would have loved to compare him to Oliver, who btw looked really good. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
44 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If you say kicking didn’t play a huge role in our loss you are blindly defending a part of our game which has been a glaring issue since we let Myers walk

It played a role, it cost us 3 points in a game where we forced 4 turnovers and recorded a safety.  They kicking game is not why we lost

35 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This is technically true, but we might still have gone for 2 after the Bell TD even if Vedvik had made the first EP. If he had made the kick, the score would have been 15-0 after the Bell TD, so the Jets might well have gone for 2 to make it 17-0 (two TD plus FG lead) rather than kicking the EP to make it 16-0.

I doubt we go for 2 at 15-0 but maybe.  The K was awful, he didn't cost us the game.  If you have to rely on a K making 1 FG and 1 extra point to win a home game where you are +4 in TOs AND your D scores 8 including a safety which is like another turnover then you aren't good.  The O lost this game, we won't win any games if we play like that every week even if we had an automatic kicker.

Think about this, we forced 4 TOs then got a safety, our O only scored 8 points and with all those TOs we only attempted just one FG.  The O gets 95% of the blame for this loss.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I doubt we go for 2 at 15-0 but maybe.  The K was awful, he didn't cost us the game.  If you have to rely on a K making 1 FG and 1 extra point to win a home game where you are +4 in TOs AND your D scores 8 including a safety which is like another turnover then you aren't good.  The O lost this game, we won't win any games if we play like that every week even if we had an automatic kicker.

Think about this, we forced 4 TOs then got a safety, our O only scored 8 points and with all those TOs we only attempted just one FG.  The O gets 95% of the blame for this loss.

Can't argue with any of that. The poor play of the O, plus the late collapse of the D, were much bigger factors than the kicker.

However, I still expect the kicker to be the scapegoat.

• Upvote 1

And its not like he just missed the field goal, that kick was so far off to the right, with no height, that the only thing you can come it is that he crapped his pants on that attempt.  

The hold was botched. 

Is Vedvik the answer?  TBD. But to trash this guy as a major reason for the loss is over the line - shocking I know. 

A month ago people wanted the Jets to trade for him. So after 1 week and 1 game people now want to run him out of town because of the Jets kicking situation over the past previous 6 months.   

If you think he can be you’re kicker you have to give him more than 1 week. 

OL play, QB play, lack of pass rush, losing Mosley and sh*tty CB play were the major reasons for the loss not the kicker. 

31 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Can't argue with any of that. The poor play of the O, plus the late collapse of the D, were much bigger factors than the kicker.

However, I still expect the kicker to be the scapegoat.

The K was brutal, be deserves to be bashed and maybe released but I don't think he cost us the game.  He contributed to the loss but we should have won easily anyway.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

It’s amazing people that claim they know football (including announcers, beat writers etc...) don’t understand this.   

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The hold was botched. 

Is Vedvik the answer?  TBD. But to trash this guy as a major reason for the loss is over the line - shocking I know. 

A month ago people wanted the Jets to trade for him. So after 1 week and 1 game people now want to run him out of town because of the Jets kicking situation over the past previous 6 months.   

If you think he can be you’re kicker you have to give him more than 1 week. 

OL play, QB play, lack of pass rush, losing Mosley and sh*tty CB play were the major reasons for the loss not the kicker. 

Was the hold botched?  I didn't see that but I agree with your post.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

The K was brutal, be deserves to be bashed and released but I don't think he cost us the game.  He contributed to the loss but we should have won easily anyway.

Based solely on the game I disagree w/releasing him this week. Now if they, the  coaches, FO, see/know of others things from the past week (late, lackadaisical aka Polite-like) then that’s another story. 

But if you thought he could be your kicker this yr you don’t release him this week because the other kickers this summer failed you. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Was the hold botched?  I didn't see that but I agree with your post.

It was a low snap, and Edwards struggled to get the ball up and the laces spun round, which knocked the timing of the kick off.

The missed FG wasn't all on Vedvik, but the missed XP clearly was.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

It was a low snap, and Edward's struggled to get the ball up and the laces spun round, which knocked the timing of the kick off.

The missed FG wasn't all on Vedvik, but the missed XP clearly was.

Agree. So you release a guy you supposedly were interested in trading a month ago for after 1 week? JMO but no.  He should get at least 1 more week  

Just now, C Mart said:

Agree. So you release a guy you supposedly were interested in trading a month ago for after 1 week? JMO but no.  He should get at least 1 more week  

That would probably be fair. Tough gig for Vedvik with so little time with the team, no chance to kick in the stadium before warm ups, plus the poor snap/hold on the FG.

But Gase sure sounded like he was ready to move on from Vedvik after the game, so we'll see what happens.

• Upvote 1

There's no sugarcoating this loss.  It was BRUTAL and exposed all of the weaknesses of this team, none of which are surprises to anyone here.  Mike Maccagnan's roster is the gift that keeps on giving.  Gonna be a bumpy year with lots of ups and downs but I still have faith in this team because I think Darnold is the real deal.  

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Based solely on the game I disagree w/releasing him this week. Now if they, the  coaches, FO, see/know of others things from the past week (late, lackadaisical aka Polite-like) then that’s another story. 

But if you thought he could be your kicker this yr you don’t release him this week because the other kickers this summer failed you. 

I agree with you here.  

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

Did anybody see the warmups before the game? This clown was missing field goals wide by 15-20 feet.

The announcers were talking about how horrific Vedvik looked before the game

• Upvote 1