The underthrown Darnold pass to Robby that would have won the game

Jetsbb

Was it hard to judge Robby's speed given the calf injury?  This isn't an excuse for Sam but when you under throw a guy and then overthrow him later it's as if the timing was off and Robby may not have been running as fast as usual.

Sam needs to clean up those feet though.  Very concerning that this is happening after two full training camps and in Year 2.

With that said, Sam was second to Lamar Jackson yesterday in QBR amongst the 5 guys drafted in the 1st Round in 2018.  It wasn't a pretty day for Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield either.

Let's bury the football.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

The official rule says you can't challenge AFTER the two minute warning, but what about a play like this that occurs right before the two minute warning and would be a challenge DURING the two minute warning.  I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

Gase and his staff also missed an opportunity to get big OPI called on the Bills scoring drive on the play before the touchdown.

Bills were facing 2nd and 17 at the Jets 50 after a false start.  Allen rolls slightly to his right and hits Singletary out of the backfield for a big 15 yard gain making it 3rd and 2. 

But, Bills TE, Tommy Sweeney ran downfield and didn't even attempt to run a pattern.  He just engages Luvu about 10 yards downfield, who was trying to cover Singletary.

At that spot in the game, you gotta throw that flag even if you think it's borderline.  Huge difference between 3rd and 2 and 2nd and 27.  

Capture.PNG.6649e5d28c0b2e727332800203229daf.PNG

Just ignoring the OPI for a second, which I agree with, this is such a concerning picture.  Not sure what's worse, the LB covering nobody in the top left of the picture while Singletary runs wide open, or the Buffalo offensive lineman who can block two Jets at once.

Sheesh!

9 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

pulled that out my ass. What your take on 3rd down conversions and lack there of? This is not only a Sam issue, he is new, The Jets have been terrible on 3rd. I know its a stat, but do you put this on play calling or players?

the Adam Gase offense was supposed to make up for the obvious deficiencies in the Gregg Williams' Defense. Everyone knows they don't have corners

They hired an offensive head coach for this exact reason

Draw on 2nd and 13? WR screen on 3rd and 12? 

forget Bowles. these are Herm/Rex level game planning

pretty sure the fanbase is in denial still... but it's obviously Gase that's the problem. They never should have hired him and that fact was apparent from the very first press conference.

if he can't get this offense to produce more than 8 points at home on a sunny day, what good is he? they could have kept Bowles and gone "red yellow green" and ruin Darnold for free

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

, or the Buffalo offensive lineman who can block two Jets at once.

Sheesh!

I believe that 2nd Jet was Prez Mal who ran into the lineman while he was tracking Allen rolling out 

but your overall point that Adam Gase is a bad HC is pretty sound. there's no actual proof this man is good at his job. He was hired on a phone call from Peyton Manning, who as we all know, doesn't care if the NY Jets franchise falls into the Atlantic OCean

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

the Adam Gase offense was supposed to make up for the obvious deficiencies in the Gregg Williams' Defense. Everyone knows they don't have corners

pretty sure the fanbase is in denial still but it's Gase that's the problem. They never should have hired him. 

in particular the lack of halftime adjustments was disappointing.  up 6-0 i expected them to have a revamped offensive gameplan when they got the ball.   this was a todd bowles special.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

pretty sure the fanbase is in denial still... but it's obviously Gase that's the problem. They never should have hired him and that fact was apparent from the very first press conference.

if he can't get this offense to produce more than 8 points at home on a sunny day, what good is he? they could have kept Bowles and gone "red yellow green" and ruin Darnold for free

In all fairness, due to new rules ie. practices and the lack there of, this is why preseason is more important than ever. It could take a few games for the new OL to get it together, although Bills have a newer OL as well. Such a big hill to climb, it takes years sometimes for an OL to get on the same page let alone an Offense. Someone referred to this game as a

''blip''. Do see it as that, or will they take their lumps here early against NE, Philly and Dallas (yikes) and straighten it out or will it just be more of the same?

2 hours ago, msena88 said:

This one was ever so slight and if you watch around the league, the receiver more often than not has to slow down a step to grab the deeper balls. The corner made a great play to recover but also, this is one where Robby needs to go attack the ball. I don't think anyone was ever under the illusion was a premier receiver but the premier guys in the league go up and get that ball.

It's extremely early, but I think all the hype of Robby running the full route tree was clearly overblown. Robby can work the sidelines on outs and comebacks, obviously can stretch the field, but I think we know what he is at that point. And that's not a knock on him at all, his main trick of going deep is a very good one as he gets open deep at least 2-3x every week.

unfortunately it's on tuesday and wed practices!

his main trick of going deep is a very good one as he gets open deep at least 2-3x every week.

This is what relentless pass rush will do to you.  It might have been good if they had taken a few shots down field earlier in the game so maybe he and Robbie could have gotten in sync.    By the time they did, Sam was already a bit "shook" from all the hits and hurries.  I don't understand for the life of me why Gase didn't have him rolling out of the pocket more; I mean it was obvious that staying in the pocket was wasn't going to work, especially on 3rd down. 

• Upvote 1

I thought the overthrow at the end of the game was worse than the underthrow, but I actually think this was the aspect of Darnold's game that concerned me the most.

The general gameplan of short passes was clearly a result of the mismatch on the lines, and while Darnold wasn't crisp and had a lot of batted balls I think a lot of that can be blamed on Gase, Gase's goofy hobbit OC, and the line.

That said, there's no real excuse for Darnold's deep ball inaccuracy. He had three deep balls to Robby. The first was right on the money and probably should have been caught despite a great play by the DB. The second was a woeful underthrow when Robby had a clear path to the endzone and the third was an overthrow that would have won the game in the same situation.

I'm hopefuly this is a fluke (because historically Darnold has been great at this) and not a sign of some trend or injury.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I thought the overthrow at the end of the game was worse than the underthrow, but I actually think this was the aspect of Darnold's game that concerned me the most.

The general gameplan of short passes was clearly a result of the mismatch on the lines, and while Darnold wasn't crisp and had a lot of batted balls I think a lot of that can be blamed on Gase, Gase's goofy hobbit OC, and the line.

That said, there's no real excuse for Darnold's deep ball inaccuracy. He had three deep balls to Robby. The first was right on the money and probably should have been caught despite a great play by the DB. The second was a woeful underthrow when Robby had a clear path to the endzone and the third was an overthrow that would have won the game in the same situation.

I'm hopefuly this is a fluke (because historically Darnold has been great at this) and not a sign of some trend or injury.

to sum, the offense was not ready and not 'in synch'.  darnold said as much in his post game interview, said they were 'scrambled at times'.  ouch.  read into this comment, what do you think he's saying?  that's a huge indictment of the hc.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

to sum, the offense was not ready and not 'in synch'.  darnold said as much in his post game interview, said they were 'scrambled at times'.  ouch.  read into this comment, what do you think he's saying?  that's a huge indictment of the hc.

No doubt this is true but I don't think it's a valid excuse for missing wide open guys downfield on game changing plays. A good QB needs to hit those.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

This is what relentless pass rush will do to you.  It might have been good if they had taken a few shots down field earlier in the game so maybe he and Robbie could have gotten in sync.    By the time they did, Sam was already a bit "shook" from all the hits and hurries.  I don't understand for the life of me why Gase didn't have him rolling out of the pocket more; I mean it was obvious that staying in the pocket was wasn't going to work, especially on 3rd down. 

Calling the Bills pas rush yesterday "relentless" is a stretch. Go back and watch. He had time to make throws. Gase was going empty backfield with the Bills blitzing and Darnold wasnt picking it up in most of the pressure situations. Just poor coaching and execution. The Jets made zero pass plays down the field yesterday.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

No doubt this is true but I don't think it's a valid excuse for missing wide open guys downfield on game changing plays. A good QB needs to hit those.

yes.  and he has.  but the entire offense did not play with confidence yesterday, they seemed back on their heels and not dictating the play.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Just ignoring the OPI for a second, which I agree with, this is such a concerning picture.  Not sure what's worse, the LB covering nobody in the top left of the picture while Singletary runs wide open, or the Buffalo offensive lineman who can block two Jets at once.

Sheesh!

This is the play Adams blitzed and ran into his own DL. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yes.  and he has.  but the entire offense did not play with confidence yesterday, they seemed back on their heels and not dictating the play.

I'm certainly not solely blaming Sam -- the offensive line and Gase were bigger culprits -- but the thread was about Darnold missing those throws and he deserves to shoulder blame for yesterday's offensive performance too. He wasn't good.

Just now, prime21 said:

I wont blame the throw on his arm strength.  Buffalo defenders were all over him all game.  Him stepping up in the pocket was just not something the line let him get comfortable doing.  

last year he would have taken off and ad libbed.  got the feeling yesterday that gase was trying to turn him into peyton manning rather than just letting darnold be himself and run around and sling it.  this will probably go on until they're out of the playoff hunt and darnold has had it and does it his way.  in the end if darnold plays well he will dictate the offense not the other way around, but not yet.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm certainly not solely blaming Sam -- the offensive line and Gase were bigger culprits -- but the thread was about Darnold missing those throws and he deserves to shoulder blame for yesterday's offensive performance too. He wasn't good.

yeah, he even underthrew anderson on the lions td last opener.  

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Sheesh!

that your probowl SS running into traffic on yet another blizt that does nothing except take himself outta the play...

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

however we slice this turd burger, you are correct - 8 points isn't enough offensive production to expect to win any football game in the year 2019

If Gase took this job to run, run, checkdown, punt , he should not have bothered. Rightly burned BoWLes for not making adjustments. Could've rolled him out, kept a back in (Bell had a nice block, did not go back to that), play action,. And ran an empty shotgun formation on 3rd and2; wtf? Nothing at all you would call a half time adjustment. 

Just now, Bugg said:

If Gase took this job to run, run, checkdown, punt , he should not have bothered. Rightly burned BoWLes for not making adjustments. Could've rolled him out, kept a back in (Bell had a nice block, did not go back to that), play action,. And ran an empty shotgun formation on 3rd and2; wtf? Nothing at all you would call a half time adjustment. 

didn't use monty or cannon, ignored the speed on the team.  anderson is not the only guy who can run a fly route.  have to wonder why he was coaching so scared, maybe he was intimidated by the buffalo d while at miami.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Forget which NFL Net guy said it- but Adams does a lot of guessing around the LOS in hopes of getting a TFL.

having him at the point of attack on runs is stoopit...   unless he's unblocked....  otherwise he may as well be darron lee...     look at the highlights...    the guy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

didn't use monty or cannon, ignored the speed on the team.  anderson is not the only guy who can run a fly route.  have to wonder why he was coaching so scared, maybe he was intimidated by the buffalo d while at miami.

Sa m makes 3 throws and Robby has 3 tds and teh narrive itis how we are going deep...

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Sa m makes 3 throws and Robby has 3 tds and teh narrive itis how we are going deep...

3 plays in an entire game, when one is when you're desperate?  they should have been attacking the field vertically all game.  it's not like a faucet where you turn it on and off at will and the water flows when you need it.  the offense needed to get the rust off of preseason and they didn't try to until the 4th quarter but they were collectively still in preseason mode.  darnold is still a very young qb, hasn't even played a full 16 games yet, the offense needed reps as a unit in preseason and the rust really showed.  

• Upvote 2

I believe that 2nd Jet was Prez Mal who ran into the lineman while he was tracking Allen rolling out 

Yup ... he was on a delayed blitz. And Allen rolled right the second they lost contain. And then PMS (prez mal safety) acrobatically flailed around a bit so we’d understand how much effort he gave.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Calling the Bills pas rush yesterday "relentless" is a stretch. Go back and watch. He had time to make throws. Gase was going empty backfield with the Bills blitzing and Darnold wasnt picking it up in most of the pressure situations. Just poor coaching and execution. The Jets made zero pass plays down the field yesterday.

Okay I didn't see all of the game as I was out running errands and listening on the radio. It sure seemed like he was always under pressure.  If he was making bad reads reacting poorly to the pressure, they have got to get that cleaned up asap.  

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That was the 2 minute warning, I don't think he could.  

He could the play started before the 2 minute warning which means you have to challenge, inside 2:00 it’s not challengable it has to come from the booth.

So yes he could have challenged it.