Who should be the Jets kicker in Week 2?

mrcoops

Who should be the Jets kicker next week?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Looking at currently available options, who should kick for the Jets in Week 2?

• Kaare Vedvik
    • Cody Parkey
    • Kai Forbath
    • Matt McCrane
    • Giorgio Tavecchio
    • Nick Novak
    • Connor Barth
    • Nick Rose
    • Mike Nugent
    • Elliott Fry
    • Ross Martin
    • Taylor Bertolet
    • Chase McLaughlin
    • Cole Hedlund
    • Carli Lloyd

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Remember when we were kids... NO ONE wanted to hold. You ended up with broken fingers. ?

I hated holding, there was more pressure holding than actually playing.  Having to catch the ball, spin it and get it down on the tee(remember when kicking tees were used?).  

I've said it before.  I don't need the guy with the huge leg.  Just give me a guy for this season who will make all the XPs and make 90% of kicks inside 40-45 yards.  If a FG isn't even an option when we're at the opponent's 30 yard line I'll live with going for on 4th down every time from that area of the field.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Not a particularly exciting list of options out there, but take your pick.

Write-in votes also acceptable - got bored putting names in, so missed a few guys.

Carly Lloyd scewed the results. All the wise asses are going to pick that 1. 

Ruined a good poll before it even started.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yep.  And he wasn't great towards the end by any stretch.

But he'd be worlds better, even off the couch, than Cantizaro, Bertoilet or the chuckledick excuse for a kicker yesterday.

Alos, I hear Nugent is also a FA.  Also be better option.

I would need to know more about what the player association drug testing rules are for players who come in after week 1 before deciding how I feel about Jan as our K

52 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Carly Lloyd scewed the results. All the wise asses are going to pick that 1. 

Ruined a good poll before it even started.

I don't think the results are legally binding.

Besides, there are actual Jets fans who genuinely want Carli Lloyd to be signed as our kicker.

But, I think it's clear that Jets fans want Cody Parkey as our new kicker. That's the correct choice, IMO.

31 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Besides, there are actual Jets fans who genuinely want Carli Lloyd to be signed as our kicker.

But, I think it's clear that Jets fans want Cody Parkey as our new kicker. That's the correct choice, IMO.

She took a 6 yard running start to get that ball through the posts. Great player.....soccer player.

Report: Jets Holding Kicker Tryouts Tuesday

Ryan_Headshot.jpg?kZ_bDjwJu4sgdSQv1tl8zY
RYAN CHATELAIN
SEPTEMBER 09, 2019 - 2:26 PM 

After Kaare Vedvik missed an extra point and a field goal in the Jets' 17-16 loss to the Bills on Sunday, the Jets will hold kicker tryouts Tuesday, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported . 

"We just have to get better," Jets coach Adam Gase. "We have to make extra points. We have to make field goals. We can't be losing points in those areas of the field."

The Jets let Pro Bowl kicker Jason Myers walk to Seattle in free agency this offseason. They brought back Chandler Catanzaro, who was their kicker in 2017, but he abruptly retired after missing two extra points in the preseason opener. The Jets then signed Taylor Bertolet, who was 5-of-8 on field goals and missed two extra point tries himself in the preseason.

Just before the start of the regular season, the Jets released Bertolet and signed Vedvik, who started the preseason with the Ravens and was then traded to the Vikings for a fifth-round pick before being cut by Minnesota. Vedvik remains on the Jets' roster for now.

It's not clear which kickers the Jets are bringing in on for a workout, but here are some of the bigger names available. Of course, any kicker who's looking for a job at this point is going to come with warts.

• Greg Joseph, who spent last season with Cleveland, going 17-of-20 on field goals but just 25-of-29 on extra points.

• Giorgio Tavecchio, who kicked for the Raiders in 2017 and spent three games with the Falcons last season. He is 21-of-26 on field goals and 41-of-42 on extra points for his career. He booted a career-long 56-yarder in a win over the Giants last season.

• Blair Walsh, a former Pro Bowl kicker with the Vikings who also spent a year in Seattle. Walsh hasn't kicked in a regular season game since 2017 and is best remembered for missing a 27-yard, would-be game-winner against the Seahawks in the 2015 playoffs.

• Cody Parkey, who has spent time with the Eagles, Browns, Dolphins and Bears. He is 99-of-118 on field goals (83.9%) and 149-of-156 on extra points. Parkey's 43-yard double-doink prevented Chicago from advancing in the playoffs last year. He tried out for the Jets earlier last month. 

• Elliott Fry, who went 14-of-14 for the Orlando Apollos of the Alliance of American Football this year. Fry was 3-of-4 on field goals and 2-for-2 on extra points with the Bears and Ravens this preseason.

* And, of course, there's women's soccer superstar Carli Lloyd, who kicked a 55-yarder at Eagles training camp last month and says she's entertaining the idea of giving the NFL a try.

8 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Shes never worn a Football Helmet or Pads. Heard her on Dan Patrick last week, kind of arrogant.  Morten Anderson CALLED IN and basically said "That's cute....now try it while wearing the equipment". LOL. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Shes never worn a Football Helmet or Pads. Heard her on Dan Patrick last week, kind of arrogant.  Morten Anderson CALLED IN and basically said "That's cute....now try it while wearing the equipment". LOL. 

I agree that the idea that she could just step onto the field and be a legit NFL kicker is fanciful, no matter how good she is at kicking a ball.

But people keep asking for her, so she's in the poll.

• Upvote 1

Guy calls up the Boomer show waiting in Jets parking facility for a kicking tryout that he originally thought was an own tryout. When he found out it wasn’t he still took a red eye from Utah to still give it a shot. His name is Josh Henshaw. Hey worth a shot. Rooting for the kid. Hey ya never know

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Guy calls up the Boomer show waiting in Jets parking facility for a kicking tryout that he originally thought was an own tryout. When he found out it wasn’t he still took a red eye from Utah to still give it a shot. His name is Josh Henshaw. Hey worth a shot. Rooting for the kid. Hey ya never know

You sure it really wasn't Carton calling from Levinworth??

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

I heard that as well. Supposedly Boomer texted Gase about him being outside the facility holding a sign. 

• Sympathy 1

Jets holding kicker tryouts: Who are 5 best options to replace Kaare Vedvik?

Updated 6:11 AM; Today 5:46 AM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Sorry, Kaare.

The Jets are reportedly working out potential new kickers on Tuesday, as they continue searching for a solution at that position. Kaare Vedvik, in his first week with the team, missed a PAT and a 45-yard field goal in Sunday’s 17-16 loss to the Bills.

After the game, head coach Adam Gase was not in the mood to give Vedvik a vote of confidence. So, this process firing up again was pretty predictable.

But who can the Jets realistically land that might be an upgrade over Vedvik? Here’s a look at five players who fit that description:

1. Elliott Fry, free agent

The Ravens churned out extra kickers this summer. For the Jets’ sake, hopefully Fry would turn out better than Vedvik – who started training camp in Baltimore. The Ravens shipped Vedvik to the Vikings in exchange for a fifth-round pick. He’s since bombed, both with the Vikings and Jets. But Fry, who the Ravens released just before Labor Day, finished camp on the uptick. He just was never going to unseat Justin Tucker in Baltimore, who is one of the league’s best. He spent most of training camp trying to win the Bears’ job, then lost out to Eddy Piniero. But he landed with Baltimore and went 2-for-2 on FGs and 2-for-2 on PATs in the preseason finale – including a 48-yard make. He’s a young guy, too, at age 24. Word on the street the past few weeks has been that Jets GM Joe Douglas would prefer a younger talent.

2. Chase McLaughlin, Vikings

Speaking of young kickers, McLaughlin is an undrafted rookie. He recently graduated from Illinois, now he’s making the NFL transition. He went 4-for-6 on FGs of 50-plus yards as a senior. He went 5-for-5 on PATs and 3-for-3 on FGs, including a 54-yarder, this preseason. The Bills couldn’t keep him at the end of this summer because they’d locked up Steven Hauschka long term. So McLaughlin got cut and landed in Minnesota on the practice squad.

3. Kai Forbath, free agent

Forbath was released in February and hasn’t landed anywhere since. That’s surprising, considering he hit 84 percent of his field goals in 2017, when he last played a full season. That’s not a bad number. He went 32-for-38 with a long of 53. PATs were a bit shaky, but 34-for-39 isn’t terrible. He was mostly a backup for the Jaguars last year, but kicked in three games and went 4-for-5 on field goals and 3-for-3 on PATs. So clearly he can still do this a bit. He’s 31, but that’s not even close to old by kicker standards.

4. Cody Parkey, free agent

Yes, Parkey is synonymous with the Bears’ heartbreaking “double doink.” But infamy aside, he still may be a better option than Vedvik, who has now kicked in just one NFL game. Parkey is only two years older, at 27, and has a Pro Bowl pedigree; he made the game in 2014. He definitely had a rough year for the Bears, going 23-for-30 (76.7 percent) in 2018. But he also made 93.3 percent of PATs, so at least you know he’s solid on those. The bet would be that Parkey reverts to his old self – or at least moves closer to the mean. He’s a career 83.9 percent kicker on field goals. He has a history with Gase, too; both men were in Miami in 2017.

5. Younghoe Koo, free agent

Koo is a New Jersey native – he went to Ridgewood High School. Back in 2017, he cracked the NFL with the Chargers, though he lasted just four games because he went 3-for-6 on field goals. That said, one of those attempts was blocked, which wasn’t his fault. And right before the block, he made what would have been a last-minute, game-tying kick, but it was called back because the Broncos had called timeout. Koo also went 3-for-3 on PATs during his NFL stint. Then, in 2018, he landed in the AAF and put together an unblemished kicking record in that developmental league. So, it’s probably time he got another shot at the NFL level.

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

wonder if he is still there........I'll bring him a gatorade. He's got balls.

• Sympathy 1

Let's just get a grass roots campaign started about how kickers are getting hurt because they can't protect themselves after kicking the ball.  Get a movie made and have ESPN do one of those stupid outside the lines fluff pieces.  Get Goodell , in the interest of "safety", to abolish the XP and FG and just only count TD's and 2pt conversions.

Couple that with no kickoffs or punts and we have solved all of our kicking woes.