Will the Jets be dumb enough to pay Adams?

Philc1

Will the Jets be dumb enough to pay Adams?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Jets be dumb enough to pay Adams?

• Yes because it’s the Jets
    • No, Douglas will mercifully be fired and Harbaugh will be here

5 hours ago, STLuLu said:

How can you come here dogging Adams then turn around and hoist up Polamalu? He was terrible at covering a statue. But he was a hell of a in the box safety and robber, but you say Adams isn't good because he's just a box safety. At least Adams can cover TEs, something the Jets haven't had.  

Stop 

This is hysterically funny and incredibly sad at the same time..

There's a good game on right now, and the Jets lost their home opener to a division rival yesterday. What's the most popular thread on the board?

For the 8,048 time, someone has started a thread about Jamal Adams, and you jokers are discussing the "relative value" of the strong safety position. :rl:

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This is hysterically funny and incredibly sad at the same time..

There's a good game on right now, and the Jets lost their home opener to a division rival yesterday. What's the most popular thread on the board?

For the 8,048 time, someone has started a thread about Jamal Adams, and you jokers are discussing the "relative value" of the strong safety position. :rl:

So is he worth it or not?

• Haha 1

Jets fans have to be the only people on earth who openly root for our players to do portly to save the owner some bucks when he’s spent under the cap for 5 consecutive years.

Yes, we all want Adams to have 1 INT over 2+ seasons. Come on man.

I’d love for Adams to play so well he justifies $15M per.
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

What does this have to do with Leo? He’s an average DL

Name the strong safeties that are currently better then him. 

He brought up Leo because he is another overrated player who is going to want a big contract. They should have traded him before the draft, not that they would have gotten much for him.....

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, we all want Adams to have 1 INT over 2+ seasons. Come on man.

I’d love for Adams to play so well he justifies $15M per.

Not just Adams, Williams as well. Overpaying is literally the last concern a Jets fan should have considering the lack of talent up and down the roster.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Not just Adams, Williams as well. Overpaying is literally the last concern a Jets fan should have considering the lack of talent up and down the roster.

Williams sucks and is already getting way overpaid as we speak.  He's been here for 4+ seasons and we know what we have in him.  Time to move on now that we have Quinnen and Henry Anderson for the 4-3 DT / 3-4 DE spots.  If I thought we could get a 4th round pick in a trade, I'd move Leo today.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Williams sucks and is already getting way overpaid as we speak.  He's been here for 4+ seasons and we know what we have in him.  Time to move on now that we have Quinnen and Henry Anderson for the 4-3 DT / 3-4 DE spots.  If I thought we could get a 4th round pick in a trade, I'd move Leo today.  

He has value but will want to test FA before agreeing to a pay cut 

Let’s look at the bigger picture.  

In 2021, the Jets will either pay Adams on a fifth year option, which really is not optimal if they want to keep him, or extend him.

The Mosley contract will also be in its fat years, with a $16mm base, $17.5mm cap hit, $8mm guarantee (cash), $12.5mm dead money to cut and $5mm cap savings to cut.  

So, it is likely that the Jets defense will have tied up at least $30mm in a MLB and SS.  

Thankfully Darnold will be in year 4 of his contract.  It will be tough to extend him before then.  

So I think JD is out of the FA CB and EDGE business-he needs to draft those.  LW extension-looney tunes.  That may be why they kept Shepherd and Foley.  

man, an awful lot of adams angst.  in truth the jets would be very fortunate to have more adams' on the team instead of fewer.  true the safety position isn't a high cost position and it would be foolish for douglas to overpay adams but he should get paid on par with the top safeties.

as for the comments about the jets defense not getting the right plays when mosley went down, that's true.  i'm not sure if it's adams responsibility to call defensive formations.  it should have been mosley's replacement.

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

He has value but will want to test FA before agreeing to a pay cut 

I don't want to pay him a single dime.  Trade him prior to this season's trade deadline or let him hit free agency.  

I don't understand why anyone would fret about losing Leonard Williams.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

as for the comments about the jets defense not getting the right plays when mosley went down, that's true.  i'm not sure if it's adams responsibility to call defensive formations.  it should have been mosley's replacement.

Jamal is the self-proclaimed leader of the defense.  Sunday was an opportunity to make an impact when we needed him to do so.  Something tangible to say "that's our guy".  He didn't.  No big play from him.  Total collapse from the entire defense.  That's not a leader.  That's a talker.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't want to pay him a single dime.  Trade him prior to this season's trade deadline or let him hit free agency.  

I don't understand why anyone would fret about losing Leonard Williams.  

Don’t see anyone fretting, and he will indeed very probably be moved. He is a disappointment, of course, but is still a contributor and will be in the league a long time.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Don’t see anyone fretting, and he will indeed very probably be moved. He is a disappointment, of course, but is still a contributor and will be in the league a long time.

Oh boy, you haven't been reading this board closely enough.  There's plenty of people scared to lose Leo, because who else will take on the double teams so Quinnen can dominate?  People think that if we let Williams walk, we create another hole.

There is no hole.  We're good at DT.  Time to invest resources elsewhere.  

You did not give a third option....that he is worth an extension.

Your second choice was, yes because the Jets are the Jets.

He is a Pro-bowler, a cheerleader, a locker room presence.

You are entitled to your opinion, but so are others.

Oh boy, you haven't been reading this board closely enough.  There's plenty of people scared to lose Leo, because who else will take on the double teams so Quinnen can dominate?  People think that if we let Williams walk, we create another hole.

There is no hole.  We're good at DT.  Time to invest resources elsewhere.  

Yeah I missed that. I did think (early results not encouraging) G. Williams would light a fire under him. 

Adams makes play after play for us you guys are nuts. Our conerbacks and our oline lost us that game not jamal adams. If you wanna complain about an overrated OVERPAID Player then complain about #22 Trumain Johnson. He was getting beat like a drum. Calm down its week one. Jesus christ. Show me a play where Jamal got toasted. Show me the last time he had a bad game? I dont remember him ever having a bad game. Maybe the firat time he played the Pats. Gronk, a hall of fame te got the best of him. Just stop with this bullsh*t.

4 minutes ago, House Jet said:

Adams makes play after play for us you guys are nuts. Our conerbacks and our oline lost us that game not jamal adams. If you wanna complain about an overrated OVERPAID Player then complain about #22 Trumain Johnson. He was getting beat like a drum. Calm down its week one. Jesus christ. Show me a play where Jamal got toasted. Show me the last time he had a bad game? I dont remember him ever having a bad game. Maybe the firat time he played the Pats. Gronk, a hall of fame te got the best of him. Just stop with this bullsh*t.

"Play after play".  Must have missed the plays that prevented our 4th quarter collapse.  CJ Mosley was making "play after play".  When he went down, there were no plays being made by anyone on the defense, including PrezMal, our self-appointed leader.

Yes, Trumaine Johnson blows.  And that's what we're talking about.  You need solid corners to succeed in today's NFL.  Or at least a pass rush.  A box safety who provides neither of the things corners and EDGE guys do has very limited value. 

Another game, another loss, another day where we're screamed at that Jamal Adams was awesome and is the best at what he does.  What we don't have are results.  11-24 since Jamal Adams arrived.  Would that record be any different if we  didn't have Jamal Adams?  At some point a # 6 pick who supposedly "fell" to us needs to make a play that actually matters, no?

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jamal is the self-proclaimed leader of the defense.  Sunday was an opportunity to make an impact when we needed him to do so.  Something tangible to say "that's our guy".  He didn't.  No big play from him.  Total collapse from the entire defense.  That's not a leader.  That's a talker.  

Revis, one of the best corner backs to ever do it was routinely avoided. Big plays are right place right time. Daryl roberts got roasted for 30 yards. You are a talker. Youre upset about a loss and just complaining for the sake of complaining. As if its a good idea to trade away our best defense player. We have bad cbs that wont change by getting rid of adams

• WTF? 1

"Play after play".  Must have missed the plays that prevented our 4th quarter collapse.  CJ Mosley was making "play after play".  When he went down, there were no plays being made by anyone on the defense, including PrezMal, our self-appointed leader.

Yes, Trumaine Johnson blows.  And that's what we're talking about.  You need solid corners to succeed in today's NFL.  Or at least a pass rush.  A box safety who provides neither of the things corners and EDGE guys do has very limited value. 

Another game, another loss, another day where we're screamed at that Jamal Adams was awesome and is the best at what he does.  What we don't have are results.  11-24 since Jamal Adams arrived.  Would that record be any different if we  didn't have Jamal Adams?  At some point a # 6 pick who supposedly "fell" to us needs to make a play that actually matters, no?

So you will base your evaluation of a player off of 1 game? You should be an nfl gm. He didnt even have a bad game just didnt have a game changing play. Hes had plenty in the past though cmon.

1 minute ago, House Jet said:

So you will base your evaluation of a player off of 1 game? You should be an nfl gm. He didnt even have a bad game just didnt have a game changing play. Hes had plenty in the past though cmon.

No, I base my evaluation of a player off his performance since he was drafted.  We are 11-24 with Jamal Adams as the self-appointed leader of the defense.  Explain to me what tangible positive impact he's making on this team.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, I base my evaluation of a player off his performance since he was drafted.  We are 11-24 with Jamal Adams as the self-appointed leader of the defense.  Explain to me what tangible positive impact he's making on this team.  

Or, describe the one play he’s ever made that made you think he couldn’t be replaced by twenty different players

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, House Jet said:

Revis, one of the best corner backs to ever do it was routinely avoided. Big plays are right place right time. Daryl roberts got roasted for 30 yards. You are a talker. Youre upset about a loss and just complaining for the sake of complaining. As if its a good idea to trade away our best defense player. We have bad cbs that wont change by getting rid of adams

I'm not advocating trading Adams.  I'm advocating trading Leonard Williams for whatever we can get, and for letting Adams walk when he hits free agency rather than pay him his perceived market value, which will exceed $15M per season.  Though if someone were dumb enough to offer up a solid package of picks for him prior to his 5th year option season, I'd take it.  

Meanwhile, if we end up paying Adams, 75 % of the board will laud the decision and then continue to wonder why QB's have all day to throw to wide open receivers, just like they have every season.