Why no roll outs?

Did anyone else feel that Gase and/or Darnold were determined to demonstrate that Darnold is a pocket passer?   Why not work in some designed roll outs, which seems to be Darnold's greatest strength?  Not that Darnold was horrible or it was his fault.  (The Bills D is pretty damn good.)  But why not work some in?

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Did anyone else feel that Gase and/or Darnold were determined to demonstrate that Darnold is a pocket passer?   Why not work in some designed roll outs, which seems to be Darnold's greatest strength?  Not that Darnold was horrible or it was his fault.  (The Bills D is pretty damn good.)  But why not work some in?

Yes.  He was a sitting duck back there and they never moved the pocket and barely did anything to counter the pass rush and the DL sitting on the 100 underneath routes.  

It was pathetic.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Gase definitely did not impress with the offensive game plan.

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  He was a sitting duck back there and they never moved the pocket and barely did anything to counter the pass rush and the DL sitting on the 100 underneath routes.  

It was pathetic.

Agree. Gase did nothing to make me feel good about the offense and its potential. The HC has to be able to see/make changes and I mean, I guess I just missed the "guru" make any changes that would help the offense.

Was a sad day for the offense. 

Hope that we look 100% different on offense next week. 

This group of WR's didn't help the cause with the exception of Crowder when Darnold was in trouble no one came back to the football they just stopped running routes turned around and watched the game, want to watch buy a ticket. 

Wide Receiver   (5) 
    81 - Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 Nebraska   (WR)    
    11 - Robby Anderson 6'3" 190 Temple (WR)  
    82 - Jamison Crowder 5'9" 177 Duke (WR) (Free Agent Signing) 
    15 - Josh Bellamy 6'0" 208 Louisville (WR) (Free Agent Signing)  
    10 - Braxton Berrios  5'9" 190  Miami (FL) (Waiver Claim from Patriots) (WR)

43 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Gase's gameplan was not to turn the ball over. He was scared and playing scared never works. The Bills despite the disastrous results kept letting Allen make tough throws and you saw the result. Gase had zero trust in Darnold to make plays and it became a self fulfilling prophecy because his gameplan stopped Darnold from making plays.

36 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

esp. since you saw him throw the off schedule td pass that was called back, then make the 2 pt conversion.  darnold needs to be on the move, that's how he finds his rhythm.  

i also think they should have used powell, he is sneaky good at converting 1st downs and is a good pass protector.

I can't think of a single scenario where I would take the plodding Powell over Bell, who is vastly better at converting 1st downs and is an outstanding blocker. It's like replacing Secretariat with your local milk cart horse.

• Haha 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Gase's gameplan was not to turn the ball over. He was scared and playing scared never works. The Bills despite the disastrous results kept letting Allen make tough throws and you saw the result. Gase had zero trust in Darnold to make plays and it became a self fulfilling prophecy because his gameplan stopped Darnold from making plays.

yep.  typical jet coach, gets modest lead and then offense goes into cocoon until they're losing and then tries to jump start offense that wasn't asked to perform all game.  it's clear that's not how darnold thrives.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I can't think of a single scenario where I would take the plodding Powell over Bell, who is vastly better at converting 1st downs and is an outstanding blocker. It's like replacing Secretariat with your local milk cart horse.

they should have used them both.  powell could really have helped block pass rushers, that's why he has been used on 3rd downs his entire career.  darnold would have had more time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Bell blocked well yesterday, in addition to an overall strong game considering how much the Bills defense dominated.  I think things will get better from here as the OL starts to gel but I tend to be a glass half-full type of guy.

The Bills were in the Jets backfield more often than Bell. The OL was horrible. Darnold had no time to do anything. But yeah, Gase was also unimpressive in his debut. I was hoping for more creativity and testicles. 

I hope it just turns out that the Bills defense is that good. Bills exploited weaknesses that we all knew were there. But I expected Gase to exploit weaknesses in the Bills defense and that never happened. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yep.  typical jet coach, gets modest lead and then offense goes into cocoon until they're losing and then tries to jump start offense that wasn't asked to perform all game.  it's clear that's not how darnold thrives.

Just stop...please! After Bell got the 1st down on 4th, Gase took a shot at Robbie & he was behind the defense GAME WINNER is what it should have been but Darnold backpedaled when he didn't have to, never set his feet & threw a short duck out there instead of the possible game winner!

There are not many plays to call when there's a jailbreak & they have a top 5 secondary sitting on your outlet valves. It was a winnable ugly game that just like many in the NFL was won by the team that made more plays when they had the chance.

We missed an extra point & FG

Anderson blew an incompletion on 3rd down with a RTP call

Maye dropped a SURE PICK that ended up with Bills FG that broke the ice for them.

Sam missed Robbie twice & the 2nd time was probably a game winning TD

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Just stop...please! After Bell got the 1st down on 4th, Gase took a shot at Robbie & he was behind the defense GAME WINNER is what it should have been but Darnold backpedaled when he didn't have to, never set his feet & threw a short duck out there instead of the possible game winner!

There are not many plays to call when there's a jailbreak & they have a top 5 secondary sitting on your outlet valves. It was a winnable ugly game that just like many in the NFL was won by the team that made more plays when they had the chance.

We missed an extra point & FG

Anderson blew an incompletion on 3rd down with a RTP call

Maye dropped a SURE PICK that ended up with Bills FG that broke the ice for them.

Sam missed Robbie twice & the 2nd time was probably a game winning TD

All true. But that doesn't mean Gase couldn't have made life easier for Darnold and offense. It's not like the offense was clicking all day. Darnold was under attach from the first series. When you get hit over and over again all game it tends to lead to bad mechanics later in the game. 

No one is saying Darnold is free from fault, but Darnold seems to be really good outside the pocket so on a day when the pocket was falling apart it seemed to make sense to roll him out a few times.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, slats said:

The Bills were in the Jets backfield more often than Bell. The OL was horrible. Darnold had no time to do anything. But yeah, Gase was also unimpressive in his debut. I was hoping for more creativity and testicles. 

I hope it just turns out that the Bills defense is that good. Bills exploited weaknesses that we all knew were there. But I expected Gase to exploit weaknesses in the Bills defense and that never happened. 

Pretty much agree with this.  The Jets know that the OL is likely to stink all year, esp. early on b/c the starters did not get to play together at all, so that might explain Gase's very conservative game plan. You combine that with mediocre to lousy receivers...  However, there's still room to run more screens, rollouts, etc.  

Granted the Bills applied frequent pressure, but to me Sam Darnold was putting on his best Peyton Manning impression.  From the hand signals at the line to the play action fakes.  What I love most about Darnold is his ability to extend the play and his accuracy on the run...........I really hope he and the coaches do not drift away from that style of play.

4 minutes ago, greasyt said:

Granted the Bills applied frequent pressure, but to me Sam Darnold was putting on his best Peyton Manning impression.  From the hand signals at the line to the play action fakes.  What I love most about Darnold is his ability to extend the play and his accuracy on the run...........I really hope he and the coaches do not drift away from that style of play.

Welcome.  Good user name.