Ed Oliver vs. Q. Williams

JetBlue

I absolutely despised this pick, but I'm not going to hold that against Quinnen at this point, as that's not his fault.

That said, this is what you get when continually putting the most excessive investments at team's very lowest/non-premium need.  I suspect the only greatest potential benefit is if it keeps the team from feeling forced to pay up to Leo if his asking price is too high.  Hardly inspiring stuff.

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Only one game but this is why I wanted Josh Allen/Oliver.  We NEED a pass rush in the worst way and I'm sorry but Williams may turn out to be a very good player but I don't see him being that much of a pass rush threat, least of all someone you have to game plan for.  Yet Oliver was constantly having to be accounted for and was in Darnold face all day (when he wasn't dropping into coverage and making plays...)

Macc - The Gift that Keeps on Giving... 

Thoughts?  Again, I know it's early but Oliver looks like he is going to be a beast.

I'm sure if Mac had been able to trade down Oliver might have been an option. Let's not base this on one game. Q was hurt as well.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

I absolutely despised this pick, but I'm not going to hold that against Quinnen at this point, as that's not his fault.

That said, this is what you get when continually putting the most excessive investments at team's very lowest/non-premium need.  I suspect the only greatest potential benefit is if it keeps the team from feeling forced to pay up to Leo if his asking price is too high.  Hardly inspiring stuff.

Just curious as to who you would have picked at #3 this past April ? Q seemed the right choice, IMHO, when Mac couldn't trade down.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have a hard time imagining Leo will be worth anywhere near what he wants. Unlike Adams who is at least elite at a non-impact position Leonard Williams has been largely invisible since 2016.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fully agreed.  Oliver is going to be special.  Allen could also be special.  Quinnen will be a nice DT and certainly better than Leo, but his ceiling really isn't all that high.  Not what you're looking for at # 3 overall.  

If we could have traded down and still gotten Oliver that would have been terrific.  Sticking and picking QW will likely end up being another example of Macc's inability to weigh opportunity cost properly.  

I wanted Oliver at 3 first and last but you're wrong about the ceiling thing. What you see is what you get. The problem with Oliver's stuff as far as being undersized against the run, having short arms, maxed out athleticism, etc was never that he wasn't going to make it. He just isn't going to get much better than he is right now. Which is still pretty ******* good as expected.

20 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Just curious as to who you would have picked at #3 this past April ? Q seemed the right choice, IMHO, when Mac couldn't trade down.

I probably would've gone Josh Allen.  Who knows how that would've gone at this point, but from my perspective, regardless of how you might evaluate Quinnen in a vacuum, the Jets current roster setup was already going to limit the real potential benefit that could be gotten from him at this point, which is a major problem for #3 overall.

• Sympathy 1