If you care about PFF grades ...

BroadwayRay

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Seems ridiculously high for Darnold but the rating for the interior line is obviously spot on. They were dreadful and hurt everyone else on the offense.

He likely didn’t have any turnover worthy throws. QBs get dinged pretty big if they throw one of those. Recall the preseason game where we all thought Darnold played extremely well but he had that one turnover worthy play and it caused his grade to be dirt poor.

Also probably hints at the level of QB play throughout the league. Probably only a handful of guys actually played well.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I’m pretty ******* pissed at Maccagnan today. He sabotaged us with his mismanagement of the offensive line.

There’s no way to fix it now and the season is ruined. I’m of course still watching every play of every game, hoping for 6 wins, but man this sucks. As a professional General Manager, how could he do this? Not leave us with ONE single good offensive linemen? ****head 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

19 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Darnold was the 11th highest ranked QB (68.7). Among those ranking lower were Cousins (67.1), Rivers (65.3), Mayfield (64.9) and Rodgers (53.4). Josh Allen was 25th (52.3).

LeVeon Bell was the #4 RB - 78.9

CJ Mosley #9 LB - 81.0

Our OL ... in case you weren't aware, they're horrible. Winters was dead last among all NFL guards, at #59, with a grade of 44.2. Kalil was 6th worst in the NFL among centers, with a grade of 52. Osemele was just as bad at 55. Beachum and Shell amazingly scored average grades in the 60s.

And just to add, I rewatched every offensive snap and the offensive line truly did perform miserably. It seemed like at least one Bills defender had a clear path to Darnold on just about every drop back. We all saw how Oliver tossed Winters aside like a rag doll on one play. In a lot of cases, it was just screwed up blocking assignments, For example, one one play, Winters and Shell double teamed a defensive lineman, while Shell allowed a blitzing linebacker to scoot right past his right shoulder and right into Darnold. This type of thing happened repeatedly.

btw, I for one appreciate this, especially b/c this year I didnt shell out. Its not be all and end all but it is among the tools for evaluation. I am glad to see that Ose was rated so poorly cos whjen I was rewatching I was disappointed greatly. Winters is old hat...  but at least 3/4 Jetnation posters insist this dog is passable and give me grief. 

I distictly recall one play where there were 2 OL looking for people to block...    there is no one there...  but there were 2 guys bearing down on Sam.   

Dink and dunk gets you a 68% completion rate.

What did he average, about 5 yards per?

Stats are meaningless most of the time. It's about W's. Only W's. Who walked out of their locker room feeling better about their 4th quarter performance and the game, Darnold or Allen?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

the people crowing on this board about Osemele and Kalil before the season ?

So who should be laughed at more, people who look at years worth of solid play and make their assessment/opinion based on that or someone who is basing it off one game?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

22 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Dink and dunk gets you a 68% completion rate.

What did he average, about 5 yards per?

Stats are meaningless most of the time. It's about W's. Who walked out of their locker room feeling better about their 4th quarter performance and the game, Darnold or Allen?

Do you think Buffalo was really impressed with Allen's handoffs and severely underthtown deep ball that his WR gets all the credit for?

Legitimately curious if you think Buffalo Bills players are talking amongst themselves about how Allen rose up and won them that game

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

the people crowing on this board about Osemele and Kalil before the season ?

we were hoping for upgrades.

Kalil was late to the game... barely practiced if I recall correctly...  and Ose was dinged for preseason...

they have both historically played better than yesterday...   we can only pray that they get better...

we led the league last year in run plays stuffed (no gain or negative yards) @ 26%...

just looked i quickly counted 5 runs where bell had no gain or negative yardage... he had 17 carries...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So who should be laughed at more, people who look at years worth of solid play and make their assessment/opinion based on that or someone who is basing it off one game?

It’s almost as if yesterday was the OL’s first game together as a unit while up against a solid DL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Do you think Buffalo was really impressed with Allen's handoffs and severely underthtown deep ball that his WR gets all the credit for?

Legitimately curious if you think Buffalo Bills players are talking amongst themselves about how Allen rose up and one them that game

Here's what I think. Allen got really unlucky on that pick six. It wasn't a bad throw, another was tipped. He fumbled a snap, that happens.

If I was a Bills player, I'd be saying "the kid struggled, but fought through it, didn't panic, and helped bring us back from 16 down. He's young and showed some b*lls."

Now let me ask you... How do you think the Jets are talking among themselves about how Darnold looked yesterday? Back foot throws, inaccurate, coming up long or short on anything down the field? Then finally with a chance to atone for everything, geeting the ball with 3 minutes to go, 2 TOs, and looking completely inept?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Darnold was the 11th highest ranked QB (68.7). Among those ranking lower were Cousins (67.1), Rivers (65.3), Mayfield (64.9) and Rodgers (53.4). Josh Allen was 25th (52.3).

CJ Mosley #9 LB - 81.0

Our OL ... in case you weren't aware, they're horrible. Winters was dead last among all NFL guards, at #59, with a grade of 44.2. Kalil was 6th worst in the NFL among centers, with a grade of 52. Osemele was just as bad at 55. Beachum and Shell amazingly scored average grades in the 60s.

And just to add, I rewatched every offensive snap and the offensive line truly did perform miserably. It seemed like at least one Bills defender had a clear path to Darnold on just about every drop back. We all saw how Oliver tossed Winters aside like a rag doll on one play. In a lot of cases, it was just screwed up blocking assignments, For example, one one play, Winters and Shell double teamed a defensive lineman, while Shell allowed a blitzing linebacker to scoot right past his right shoulder and right into Darnold. This type of thing happened repeatedly.

Maye was ranked 2nd best by safety's yesterday

• Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Bro- what about the two other picks that he threw? One taken back from a phantom hold from across the field and the other literally off the defenders mitts. Stop it with this crap. That kid had 4 turnovers which should have been 6. 

Knock off the crap? What did I say that wasn't true?

He hung in though and gutted out a W.

Just like Darnold did against the Bills last year. Played badly, but gutted out a win at the end.

52 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

CJ Mosley #9 LB - 81.0

Thank you for this. I don't usually like PFF but at least they're less emotional on the Darnold vs Offensive Line issue. 

Darnold did pretty well not to turn the ball over yesterday. He was poor in the 4th quarter but had no chance to get any momentum. I was rewatching some plays and saw the same things - Guys not blocking anyone while someone went by them, inexplicable double teams etc. Bizarre. It was mostly the inside guys that were collapsing so not shocked the tackles scored about average. It was a catastrophe that was obvious from the first drive.

I think the skill positions and QB are there. We've just left them with no chance to actually play. F*ck Mac.

21 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Bro- what about the two other picks that he threw? One taken back from a phantom hold from across the field and the other literally off the defenders mitts. Stop it with this crap. That kid had 4 turnovers which should have been 6. His “comeback” consisted of a RB gashing us for 60 and a terribly under thrown ball that resulted in a TD.

And that

terrible throw that Maye dropped which would have taken 3 points off the board for the Bills!

CJ Mosley #9 LB - 81.0

Winters getting pushed around and flung all over the place isn't something they can do much about... Just better talent and skill winning out... Same with a few of the outside swim/club moves that they used to get in the backfield on a few other plays... Sometimes they just out muscled and out played the line.

But I think your second point there is important... They missed a TON of plays. The defense pulled some stunts or shifted guys and the OL didn't react at all. They got mixed up, missed assignments, blocked the wrong direction... That can, in theory, be fixed and coached. Maybe they just need a lot more snaps together as a unit. Maybe they need to study up on the playbook and figure out how best to communicate with each other.

I don't expect this OL to suddenly become a top 10 unit just because they can communicate better... But if they can just miss 4 or 5 fewer assignments in a game, that makes a big difference... If they can be just average it changes the entire offense. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Do they rate kickers??

Well yeah if you make the kick right down the middle you get 100 if you make the kick and it drifts a bit you get an 80 if you just barely clear the crossbar you get a 50 so our kicker was a minus 20 since he missed the kick and it drifted 

CJ Mosley #9 LB - 81.0

Great job with all that information, thanks.

So the entire “Darnold sucks” crew can take a step back all at once now.

If Brady saw heat like that EVERY play...he wouldn’t be Brady.

This is terrible.  I really hope Darnold’s first contract isn’t wasted because the entire Oline needs to be rebuilt.  Kid was running for his life last year....yet STILL making some really impressive plays.  This year, Protection still is garbage....but good news...Maccagnan drafted another DT.

I wish they’d just cut Winters tomorrow, he can take his baby deer hunting.  Another lottery ticket winner.  NY Jets...the ONLY team in the NFL he could ever start on.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

So while the OL did look bad across the board 1-1, some of that is on Darnold calling out the right protection packages.  He admitted as much after the game, that he didn't properly recognize a bunch of looks Buffalo gave them.

To their credit, the Bills D was quite advanced and they disguised everything really well.  It clearly confused Sam, as well as some of the vets on the OL.  He's still very young, and that sort of thing will happen.

• Sympathy 1

That score is high for Darnold but consistent for how PFF grades. 

The OL was atrocious. I’ve rewatched the offense and they were bad. They got beat up by Oliver and Co. Winters is awful and idk how he still starts on this team. 

However, there are 2 things that played a big factor in the loss and they are things that could and should improve.

1) Kalil and chemistry- first time this OL played together and it showed. They spent a lot of time point at each other.

2) Darnold adjustments- he was wrong a lot and he and Kalil weren’t on the same page on protections.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1