What is JD Doing?

Skeptable

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't know how far we are from the playoffs.  I do think we're a long ways away from being a SB contender, which is all that matters. 

Find 1-2 EDGE rushers, a franchise LT and a couple other key pieces in the next 2 drafts and it'll shorten the time until we're ready to make that leap.  

And then you are out of money because you have to pay your QB... So basically, they are not worth watching till at least 2023

1 hour ago, genot said:

I think this pair,[Gase and Douglass], don't deserve any honeymoon period, considering how this pair came into existence here. This has Nothing to do with Mac, or the job he did as GM, it has to do with how he was let go and under what circumstances. I don't think, we really know the answers to that. Probably never will. Not to toot my own horn here, but i've been saying this for months. Im not judging anything on one game. That would be ridiculous. I am concerned though, considering Gase's past history with MANY of his players in Miami.

You're such an irrational Macc homer.

So, Douglas only gets a half of an offseason to right the league worst drafting that Macc gave us over half a decade?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Correct.  He's not a CB1.  And he works best in a scheme where there's a pass rush and he can play press corner.  Here he has to play off of receivers because we don't have a pass rush and runs the risk of getting burned over the top.  

Douglass should be harassing the front offices of the Jags and Dolphins to bring in a number one corner.

9 minutes ago, genot said:

Just thinking about being a jet fan, and managing too stay away from psychiatric medication. If Barr, didn't renege,on the deal he had with us, if Cantazzaro didn't decide too retire, and Herndon didn't get wasted and get in an accident, this Bills game would have had a different result. Always something to screw things up. life as a Jet fan.

Yes, we should have beaten the Bills.  Tons of reasons why.  But that does not mean we'd be a playoff team even if all the things you listed above didn't happen.  

The Barr situation wasn't just bad luck, btw.  It was Barr using the Jets' money as leverage to get more out of the Vikings.  It shouldn't have been surprising that that could happen. 

We had more cap dollars than anyone else, so I'm sure several FA's told the teams they wanted to sign with that they could always just sign with the Jets.  It's like a flame throwing High School pitcher saying he'll go to college rather than sign with the MLB team who took him in the top 10 just so he can get the money he's looking for.  

So, Joe Douglas has been here three months:

- He was given largely little talent on the OL

- DL that has had 6 picks in the last 4 years, two of which were 1st rounders, and there are STILL issues 

- Multiple picks (including a high first) on safety, and there is STILL issues

-Virtually NO CB's worth anything, one who is in year two of a $72 million contract, so MANY issues

-Below average talent at WR after a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th round pick was burned on the position, leaving us with JUST a gunner on ST.

-He did get a hopeful franchise QB to start with.

HOWEVER, he virtually needs to find 2 starting CB's, a #1 WR, more depth at WR, he needs a starting LT and RT, and a solution at C and RG, as well as some developmental players.  He needs 2 pass-rushers, and more depth at S.  He also needs a kicker since we didn't want to pay for one. And he was been left ALL this mess after this years draft and the first of June cuts. 

And you are wondering why Joe Douglas hasn't been able to fill all these holes from the scrap heap discarded by other players?

There is just not a big enough SOJ fan meme out there to attach to this....

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And then you are out of money because you have to pay your QB... So basically, they are not worth watching till at least 2023

Teams can, and do, win after paying their QB's.  It's all about drafting smart so that you've always got young, cheap talent in the pipeline and can allow FA's to walk (and collect compensatory picks as a result).  With rookie contracts never being less expensive compared to the cap than they are now, it is more essential than ever to nail your draft picks.  

This franchise hasn't drafted smart in decades, if ever, so we don't know what that's like; having a pipeline of young talent is a foreign concept to Jets fans.  Macc was the worst drafting GM in the league for 5 straight years, so Jets fans naturally assume that the talent pool will run out if you don't have a lot of money to spend on FA's.  

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

Fair for JD but Gase has a losing track record 

Yup. Not impressed with the first game plan and not being able to capitalize on 4 turnovers, although the players have a lot to do with that also. Miami didn’t have a stellar roster to work with. Time will tell but I’ve gone from optimistic to cautiously optimistic. Let’s hope he continues to mature as a HC.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Teams can, and do, win after paying their QB's.  It's all about drafting smart so that you've always got talent in the pipeline and can allow FA's to walk (and collect compensatory picks as a result).  

This franchise hasn't drafted smart in decades, if ever, so we don't know what that's like; having a pipeline of young talent is a foreign concept to Jets fans.  

No they haven't... No team has ever won the superbowl with a QB making top 5 in Money in the last 30 years. So no 

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're right, the roster is awesome.  Great job Macc.  

#Delusional

He's right.  All we need is a #1 WR, a few offensive lineman, a pass rusher, two corners, a kicker, and hopefully not, but maybe, a quarterback.

ALL TEAMS HAVE HOLES JETSFAN80.  WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, A PRO BOWLER AT EVERY POSITION.  SMDH.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who then?  Name names.  What Center and K should Douglas have been bringing in?

People were clamoring for Vedvik before the Vikings traded for him.  

I have said this a number of times. Jankowski.  He was available and he was coming off a decent season. 

As far a C, I don't  know who was available but we would have been better off not bringing  in someone who had retired. I don't  fault him for trying to fix something that was broken, but who the Hell brings in a guy that was thought to be washed up even by the fans of his own team, who had retired, in the middle of camp, who is obviously  not in shape to play a key position  on the OL. 

How do you excuse this? If Kahlil was in camp with the Panthers and had just been cut because they though he sucked and we picked him up, ok, we gave this a shot with him but the guy actually decided he had enough or the Panthers said, hey buddy, we really don't  want to embarrass  you by cutting you this offseason so why don't  you just retire and our GM goes to his home and give him a contract to come off the couch and play ? On top of it we totally ignored this position  after that? No plan B in case he actually could not play? And this isn't  anything new for me. I questioned a move like this from day one. I couldn't  believe we actually had to find a C that has retired instead of looking to trade for one or get one as FA. Who are we getti g next? Mangold?

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Douglass should be harassing the front offices of the Jags and Dolphins to bring in a number one corner.

No.  He needs to draft his own CB1.  To bring in Xavien Howard or Jalen Ramsey it would cost a 1st rounder (which might be an early 1st) plus some.  And in Ramsey's case, we'd also have to sign him to a massive new deal, since he has $0 in guaranteed money coming his way in 2020, the final year of his contract.  

lol @ the idea of sending a package of picks within the division too.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No they haven't... No team has ever won the superbowl with a QB making top 5 in Money in the last 30 years. So no 

Please.  That's a terrible argument.  The top 5 QB salary fluctuates greatly every single season.   Dak Prescott is probably about to be the highest paid QB in the NFL.  The Pats circumvent the cap with Brady every season.  Guys like Brees, Peyton and Rodgers (rookie deal expired after 2009, he won the SB in 2011) all got new contracts prior to winning titles.  

At some point, everyone has to pay their QB big money.  That doesn't make it impossible to win a title after he's done with his rookie contract.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

You're such an irrational Macc homer.

So, Douglas only gets a half of an offseason to right the league worst drafting that Macc gave us over half a decade?

I'm very rational. This team is very close to having a roster to seriously compete for a playoff spot. Dougalss is getting paid big bucks too fill the roster before the season starts so we can win games. Has he done anything to make a difference, so far. No. With people like you we'll all be in a never ending cycle of wait till next year so a real GM can draft real football players. It's BS. My problem isn't so much with Douglass, though. I just don't like Gase,. As a coach, or as a person. And i'm certainly not the only one who feels that way.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No.  He needs to draft his own CB1.  To bring in Xavien Howard or Jalen Ramsey it would cost a 1st rounder (which might be an early 1st) plus some.  And in Ramsey's case, we'd also have to sign him to a massive new deal, since he has $0 in guaranteed money coming his way in 2020, the final year of his contract.  

lol @ the idea of sending a package of picks within the division too.  

Yea. let's wait till next year to improve.

34 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I disagree but I get your point... 

There is a losing culture that needs to be removed... 

And the way to do this is by mortgaging the future via trading away the ability to add young talent, with the hope that we can turn this 4 win season into a 7 win season?

No.  No more trading away resources for bandaids.

Stop being the worst team in the league in the draft and we'll perform better.  That's it.  That's the whole strategy.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nobody knows what he's doing. It's why everyone praising the hire and fellating him based on nothing but the fact that the Jets hired him was pretty dumb. Quite frankly I'm pretty skeptical of anyone that would actually work for this franchise.

Easy money ? 

2 minutes ago, genot said:

I'm very rational. This team is very close to having a roster to seriously compete for a playoff spot. 

And you base this opinion on absolutely nothing.  There is literally zero evidence to suggest this is the case.  Everything that traditionally gets a team to the playoffs  is missing on this roster outside maybe the QB. 

And "competing for a playoff spot" isn't impressive.  A lot of teams go 9-7 or 10-6 and sneak into the postseason.  That doesn't make them serious contenders to win a SB, which is all that matters.  Very few teams are further away from that than this team is.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

I'm very rational. This team is very close to having a roster to seriously compete for a playoff spot. Dougalss is getting paid big bucks too fill the roster before the season starts so we can win games. Has he done anything to make a difference, so far. No. With people like you we'll all be in a never ending cycle of wait till next year so a real GM can draft real football players. It's BS. My problem isn't so much with Douglass, though. I just don't like Gase,. As a coach, or as a person. And i'm certainly not the only one who feels that way.

Not me. I hate his Gase.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have said this a number of times. Jankowski.  He was available and he was coming off a decent season. 

As far a C, I don't  know who was available but we would have been better off not bringing  in someone who had retired.

I'll stop you right there.  So you rip on Douglas for bringing a C out of retirement, but simultaneously advocated bringing in a retired 41-year old Kicker to resolve that spot?  lol.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Please.  That's a terrible argument.  The top 5 QB salary fluctuates greatly every single season.   Dak Prescott is probably about to be the highest paid QB in the NFL.  The Pats circumvent the cap with Brady every season.  Guys like Brees, Peyton and Rodgers (rookie deal expired after 2009, he won the SB in 2011) all got new contracts prior to winning titles.  

At some point, everyone has to pay their QB big money.  That doesn't make it impossible to win a title after he's done with his rookie contract.  

Look it up... Top paid QBs have never won the Superbowl in the modern era of football. Period... 

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Look it up... Top paid QBs have never won the Superbowl in the modern era of football. Period... 

What's the "modern era"?  And I already proved that false.  Brees did.  

And what are you advocating, exactly?  Drafting another QB the minute Darnold hits the end of his contract?

There's only about 15 QB's at any given time capable of keeping your team in the running for a title.  You HAVE to pay your QB when you find one.  

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

He's right.  All we need is a #1 WR, a few offensive lineman, a pass rusher, two corners, a kicker, and hopefully not, but maybe, a quarterback.

ALL TEAMS HAVE HOLES JETSFAN80.  WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, A PRO BOWLER AT EVERY POSITION.  SMDH.

Maybe a QB? How in earth do u have over 250,000 up votes. That statement alone should subtract 300,000 negatives form your profile ?

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@Creepy Lurker

Please put Joe Douglas head on this picture. Thanks 

Image result for MIKE MACCAGNAN PICS

No way haha. Give the guy a chance. Only crazy people want constant change and disorder. Joe Douglas messed up the kicker situation after Catanzarro retired out of nowhere but my god, that’s way too short of a leash. This year was not a playoff year and he will prove his worth if he fixes these glaring mistakes. It takes time. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Maybe a QB? How in earth do u have over 250,000 up votes. That statement alone should subtract 300,000 negatives form your profile ?

Are you being serious here?

How dare anyone suggest Darnold might not be a franchise QB after just 14 NFL starts.  The thought alone hurts my brain and fragile heart.  Ban-worthy!

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Nothing you just said is rational.

"This team is very close to having a roster to seriously compete for a playoff spot."

1) Evidence suggests you are wrong.  Your feelings are the only counterpoint.

2) Seriously compete for a playoff spot isn't a mark of success.  Mediocre teams often make the playoffs.

"Douglas is getting paid big bucks to fill the roster before the season starts so we can win games"

1) Says who?  You?  Who said his mandate was to improve the team this year?  The only evidence we have, that he was signed for 6 years, actually suggests otherwise.

"With people like you"

1) My opinions have no bearing on what happens on the football field, where, we consistently lose.

"a real GM can draft real football players"

1) Your horse was quantifiably worse than any other GM at drafting over a 5 year period.  There is no counterpoint here.

2) Acting like drafting players who actually remain on the team/in the NFL isn't the best strategy is certainly not rational.

"I don't like Gase. As a coach, or as a person."

1) Who cares about him as a person.  That's irrelevant to his on the job performance.

2) This isn't about Gase.  Gase won't succeed this year, just as Bowles couldn't succeed, because, the team is full of bad football players at important positions, and decent to good football players at positions that don't matter.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll stop you right there.  So you rip on Douglas for bringing a C out of retirement, but simultaneously advocated bringing in a retired 41-year old Kicker to resolve that spot?  lol.  

Are you actually going to compare a guy that plays on 100% of the offensive snaps to guy that plays maybe 6 a game  as far as what kind of shape they need to be in?

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Also, there's only one S in Douglas.  What's wrong with you?

Unless you're calling him an "ass," which is wildly clever.

There's nothing wrong with me. I hit the s key twice and posted. That's neither here nor there. I've been hearing this don't trade away draft capital for 8 years. Im sick of it. What evidence do you have that Douglas is some sort of draft wiz, who'll transform this roster, do to his brilliant talent evaluation. Based on your argument, and others, we should have never wasted money on anybody this off season, because they were signing with a team that had no chance of competing.

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Because I'm a delight.

And, because I hope Sam Darnold is good, I'm even mildly optimistic he may be, but that's far from proven.