JetNation.com Surpasses 4 Million Posts

Maxman

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

it's too bad most of the posts are about non Jets stuff...   272 in 15 hrs about AB sexual assault...

how many are jets related?

That's such a ridiculously false claim that isn't close to true, and only comes up when some people feel the need to whine that everyone else should only talk about the things they consider permissible.

Yes, other topics may see short-term bursts of discussion, but simple consideration of the reality of the circumstances would quickly tell you that might just have a little something to do with a brand new topic that many have yet to weigh in on, compared to continuing on with the same points that have already been discussed here ad nauseam for months (or in some cases, years).

The overwhelming majority of posts are about this team, and the moment there's anything new for us to all argue about (because agreeing is no fun), it overtakes everything else.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

it's too bad most of the posts are about non Jets stuff...   272 in 15 hrs about AB sexual assault...

how many are jets related?

Are you trying to suggest that Antonio Brown to the Patriots doesn't impact the Jets? Not sure what your point is and it is wrong regardless.

• Upvote 1

On 9/10/2019 at 11:39 AM, Maxman said:

So this is kind of crazy, based on our historical average it seemed like we would hit four million posts in November \ December this year. I said let me get on that so we are ready. Except I just noticed we surpassed four million posts 36,000 posts ago. So we don't have time to bake a cake but I do want to say thank you!

image.png

I seriously can't believe something as big as 4 million posts could sneak up on us like that. I wanted to make a big splash and have everyone be on the lookout for lucky post # 4 million. The traffic here this year has been crazy. Our top 5 biggest posting days of all time are in 2018 and 2019 and  one of them was Sunday. It was one of the biggest days of all time here. The traffic here continues to amaze me, surpassing one million page views month after month is jaw dropping.

So thank you for posting, thank you for reading and thank you for making these forums so much fun. We have our moments but it is amazing how little we have to moderate. We set out with a plan to let people have fun and not be heavy handed. The biggest part of that plan was no censorship of Jets opinions. Looks like the plan is working.

Here is to a few Super Bowl victories for the Jets mixed in to the next batch of four million posts.

Are you able to identify which one was the 4 millionth post?

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Are you trying to suggest that Antonio Brown to the Patriots doesn't impact the Jets? Not sure what your point is and it is wrong regardless.

if the Jets were at the point of actually COMPETING with the Pats, it would.

Just saying 280 posts about a sex assault case on a non-Jet isn't Jet news.

But I know you guys like to lump in the whole NFL with Jets stuff, so...     shrug

46 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

if the Jets were at the point of actually COMPETING with the Pats, it would.

Just saying 280 posts about a sex assault case on a non-Jet isn't Jet news.

But I know you guys like to lump in the whole NFL with Jets stuff, so...     shrug

45 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Yup, it's YOUR BALL and your taking it with you, I get it, Max.....

I feel like you are trying to create a fight. Not even sure what you are talking about.

The topic of this thread says 4 million posts. It doesn't say 4 million Jets posts. Really confused about your outrage on this topic. The main forum is Jets and NFL. We have always done it that way. Guess what? It works because that is what people want to see.

50 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Are you able to identify which one was the 4 millionth post?

I think it would be possible. I was thinking of asking our server guy if he could figure it out. Not sure I want to know though. What if it is a post by Tom Shane about a Friday night in a bar? We don't need to make his escapades any more famous than they already are.  :)

• Upvote 1

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

JetNation.com has reached 4 million posts but due to a recent class action settlement we must inform you that not every post was Jets related. There are some posts about Bill Belichick. There are some posts about other NFL topics. There are also posts about other sports and even worse some are about off topic \ non sports things.

We continually strive to bring you Jets news, topics and opinions of the highest quality. We assure you we are working towards delivering you 4 million actual Jets posts. That has been the goal all along.

Until such time we thank you for your patience and we ask that you only talk Jets here and nothing else. This will help us reach the 4 million Jets posts much sooner and then we can all go about our regularly scheduled lives.

:)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think it would be possible. I was thinking of asking our server guy if he could figure it out. Not sure I want to know though. What if it is a post by Tom Shane about a Friday night in a bar? We don't need to make his escapades any more famous than they already are.  :)

Some things are best left alone. 

Just now, Maxman said:

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

JetNation.com has reached 4 million posts but due to a recent class action settlement we must inform you that not every post was Jets related. There are some posts about Bill Belichick. There are some posts about other NFL topics. There are also posts about other sports and even worse some are about off topic \ non sports things.

We continually strive to bring you Jets news, topics and opinions of the highest quality. We assure you we are working towards delivering you 4 million actual Jets posts. That has been the goal all along.

Until such time we thank you for your patience and we ask that you only talk Jets here and nothing else. This will help us reach the 4 million Jets posts much sooner and then we can all go about our regularly scheduled lives.

If you were harmed by any of these non Jets posts you may be entitled to a financial settlement.

billboard deal with it GIF

44 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I feel like you are trying to create a fight. Not even sure what you are talking about.

The topic of this thread says 4 million posts. It doesn't say 4 million Jets posts. Really confused about your outrage on this topic. The main forum is Jets and NFL. We have always done it that way. Guess what? It works because that is what people want to see.

no fight, bruv. Just wished more stuff was jet centric on JetNation

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

no fight, bruv. Just wished more stuff was jet centric on JetNation

Of the 35 threads displayed on the first page of this board, there's a grand total of 3 that are not about either the Jets or JN...  one is about Monday's opponent, the other two a division rival.

I don't think the site is the problem here.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

That's the fun part though.  It could be a post like that or it could be some boring post like "I agree".

Either way, it's a winner!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

The people deserve the truth, Phil

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, Coquito said:

That's awesome, congratulations! I'm just curious, whatever happened to Jets Insider? Before I went into my coma, sh*tsprayer was talking up a big game about selling it, and how it was worth a small fortune. Did he hold out too long and then it jumped the shark? 

Max destroyed it.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Coquito said:

That's awesome, congratulations! I'm just curious, whatever happened to Jets Insider? Before I went into my coma, sh*tsprayer was talking up a big game about selling it, and how it was worth a small fortune. Did he hold out too long and then it jumped the shark? 

Max destroyed it.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Are you saying you want someone on the Jets to be charged with sexual assault?

On 9/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, chrisfaceoff said:

1M - fire Todd Bowles related

1.5M - New Uniforms related

1.5M - Misc, "We're screwed", and SOJ-why do I root for this team posts

Go ahead and check.  I'm fairly confident in my numbers.

Nope. There's at least 2 million posts in @The Crusher's mafia goodness forum

• Post of the Week 1

On 9/10/2019 at 11:39 AM, Maxman said:

So this is kind of crazy, based on our historical average it seemed like we would hit four million posts in November \ December this year. I said let me get on that so we are ready. Except I just noticed we surpassed four million posts 36,000 posts ago. So we don't have time to bake a cake but I do want to say thank you!

image.png

I seriously can't believe something as big as 4 million posts could sneak up on us like that. I wanted to make a big splash and have everyone be on the lookout for lucky post # 4 million. The traffic here this year has been crazy. Our top 5 biggest posting days of all time are in 2018 and 2019 and  one of them was Sunday. It was one of the biggest days of all time here. The traffic here continues to amaze me, surpassing one million page views month after month is jaw dropping.

So thank you for posting, thank you for reading and thank you for making these forums so much fun. We have our moments but it is amazing how little we have to moderate. We set out with a plan to let people have fun and not be heavy handed. The biggest part of that plan was no censorship of Jets opinions. Looks like the plan is working.

Here is to a few Super Bowl victories for the Jets mixed in to the next batch of four million posts.

Congrats!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

In a semi finished basement in east meadow, a stoolsprayer boils his ramen noodles and quietly weeps

It is personal attacks like this that are just uncalled for. You know very well that Sooth got enough money from Scout to finish the whole basement. They paid him in sheet rock.  :)

6 hours ago, Coquito said:

In April of 2014 Scout emailed me and explained what they had going on with their new company (buying Scout back) and said they were interested in buying or partnering with JetNation. I agreed to meet with them in NYC. During that meeting they told me that we (JetNation) were the Jets site they wanted. They were willing to buy us or partner with us. They said they had JetNation.com as the site that received the most page views each month. Their calculations were correct.

I met with them and they wanted me to sign a non-disclosure form and then they would make an offer. The meeting was terrible because it was so clear that they had no idea how to grow a site in the NY market. It was all based on subscription sales and the Minnesota Vikings site was the success story.

I told them in that meeting that:

1) scrapping the message board and starting over was a bad idea 

2) not having a full time staff of message board developers was a bad idea and

3) I don't see how selling subscriptions in NY would ever work.

They told me I was wrong and said we would make money together other ways as well (Buffalo Wild Wings events, seriously they said that). As I met with them I thought to myself there is no way I could work with these people or hand them any control of the site. The head of marketing was from the UK and he knew nothing about the NFL. It was bad. 

A bigger thing going through my head was how my wife was under going chemo for breast cancer and there was no way I could walk away from this site. There was such a show of support from people here, I realized I had so many friends here. I couldn't screw everyone over and any deal with Scout would be screwing everyone over. I remember getting home that night and dancing around that part of the question. My wife would have been like what you didn't even listen to a 6 figure offer? That's what happened though, I wasn't going to let them destroy 

I decided about 30 seconds into the meeting that I didn't even want to hear their offer. So I never signed the NDA.  Bob Pittman and the Pilot Group had money but they didn't have a clue how to run these sites.

This is a copy \ paste from one of the email exchanges I had with them after the meeting.

MeI have concerns about starting the message board over and when I looked at the current Jets site, they don’t seem to have any following at all. 

Them:  We've never really had a consistent publisher there, Phil.  You would be inheriting very little in that regard.  We have a pretty solid email list of Jets fans though. We would email them and give them a bang up deal to come back..

When I turned them down I sent this:

Me:  Thanks for the time and the interest in JetNation, but we are going to stay independent. I think what you guys are building is very exciting, but if just isn’t right for us for a few reasons.

If you need recommendations or introductions to any other sites, just let me know.

Thanks again and good luck moving forward.

Them:  Okay, Phil.  Thanks so much. Let's stay in touch. There may be other opportunities as we grow.  And thanks for the offer to help with others. I certainly will take you up on that.

In closing, I did recommend one Jets site to them. They did end up acquiring that site. I am not privy to the terms of that deal, what I do know is they effectively put that site out of business. I am not sure if they were already talking to them or if they took my recommendation. Pretty cool to think that they might have called them on my recommendation though.  :)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

In April of 2014 Scout emailed me and explained what they had going on with their new company (buying Scout back) and said they were interested in buying or partnering with JetNation. I agreed to meet with them in NYC. During that meeting they told me that we (JetNation) were the Jets site they wanted. They were willing to buy us or partner with us. They said they had JetNation.com as the site that received the most page views each month. Their calculations were correct.

I met with them and they wanted me to sign a non-disclosure form and then they would make an offer. The meeting was terrible because it was so clear that they had no idea how to grow a site in the NY market. It was all based on subscription sales and the Minnesota Vikings site was the success story.

I told them in that meeting that:

1) scrapping the message board and starting over was a bad idea 

2) not having a full time staff of message board developers was a bad idea and

3) I don't see how selling subscriptions in NY would ever work.

They told me I was wrong and said we would make money together other ways as well (Buffalo Wild Wings events, seriously they said that). As I met with them I thought to myself there is no way I could work with these people or hand them any control of the site. The head of marketing was from the UK and he knew nothing about the NFL. It was bad. 

A bigger thing going through my head was how my wife was under going chemo for breast cancer and there was no way I could walk away from this site. There was such a show of support from people here, I realized I had so many friends here. I couldn't screw everyone over and any deal with Scout would be screwing everyone over. I remember getting home that night and dancing around that part of the question. My wife would have been like what you didn't even listen to a 6 figure offer? That's what happened though, I wasn't going to let them destroy 

I decided about 30 seconds into the meeting that I didn't even want to hear their offer. So I never signed the NDA.  Bob Pittman and the Pilot Group had money but they didn't have a clue how to run these sites.

This is a copy \ paste from one of the email exchanges I had with them after the meeting.

MeI have concerns about starting the message board over and when I looked at the current Jets site, they don’t seem to have any following at all. 

Them:  We've never really had a consistent publisher there, Phil.  You would be inheriting very little in that regard.  We have a pretty solid email list of Jets fans though. We would email them and give them a bang up deal to come back..

When I turned them down I sent this:

Me:  Thanks for the time and the interest in JetNation, but we are going to stay independent. I think what you guys are building is very exciting, but if just isn’t right for us for a few reasons.

If you need recommendations or introductions to any other sites, just let me know.

Thanks again and good luck moving forward.

Them:  Okay, Phil.  Thanks so much. Let's stay in touch. There may be other opportunities as we grow.  And thanks for the offer to help with others. I certainly will take you up on that.

In closing, I did recommend one Jets site to them. They did end up acquiring that site. I am not privy to the terms of that deal, what I do know is they effectively put that site out of business. I am not sure if they were already talking to them or if they took my recommendation. Pretty cool to think that they might have called them on my recommendation though.  :)

will you disclose, or just speculate, on the amount of money that you think sooth made? or what you THINK your offer would have been?

This is just PURE curiosity. I have no idea what these sites are worth. Id love to be edumacated