New Kicker: Jets Expected to Sign Sam Ficken (Per Rapoport)

Ficken's preseason:

5-5 XPs.  1-1 FGs (41 yards)

Was 3-6 FGs; 14-15 XPs in a couple of short stints with the Rams in 17 & 18.

At least now we have a guy who has actually made a kick in a real NFL game.  Don't know if he is any good, but at least we have that going for us.

• Upvote 2

IMHO, it is an overreaction. Vedvik missed the extra point and that is totally on him. The 45 year FG attempt was a bad snap. Tough FG to make from that distance when the timing is off because of a poor snap. Douglas tried to trade for Vedvik. Mionnesota gave up a 5th for him. Douglas loved Vedvik in Baltimore and now cuts him after one game where you can make the argument that it wasn't entirely Vedvik's fault? Seems like a knee jerk reaction by Douglas who catered to short sighted fans on this one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

IMHO, it is an overreaction. Vedvik missed the extra point and that is totally on him. The 45 year FG attempt was a bad snap. Tough FG to make from that distance when the timing is off because of a poor snap. Douglas tried to trade for Vedvik. Mionnesota gave up a 5th for him. Douglas loved Vedvik in Baltimore and now cuts him after one game where you can make the argument that it wasn't entirely Vedvik's fault? Seems like a knee jerk reaction by Douglas who catered to short sighted fans on this one. 

Knee jerk?

The kid went 1-4 after being traded to Minnesota and then majorly contributed to us losing on Sunday.

These dudes don’t get much of a leash. And they shouldn’t.

Vedvik’s NFL career is already over.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

ficken.jpg

According to NFL insider, Ian Rapoport and sevearl Jets beat writers, the Jets are expected to sign kicker Sam Ficken who has previously had stints with the Rams and Packers.

In two pro seasons, Ficken has kicked two field goals on three attempts after a career at Penn State that saw him hit on just 72% of his field goal attempts for the Nittany Lions.

Sam Ficken will be the new Jets kicker.

Fourth kicker since letting Jason Myers go.

Fourth time’s a charm? https://t.co/q4lxu32xIF

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) September 10, 2019

The post Jets add Kicker Sam Ficken appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
OWfvJIDBfgU

Click here to read the full story...

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  If anything, Sunday's game leaves me more encouraged than ever.

* We may have a Top 5 defense, a complete turnaround from past seasons.  Gregg Williams on point.

* Le'Veon Bell looks like he hasn't missed a step and is the best offensive FA acquisition this year.

* CJ Mosely looks like a beast and is the best defensive FA acquisition this year.

* Jamison Crowder might be the best slot receiver we've had since Chrebet.

* Our OL will only get better-  its clear that they were out of sync and Gase was protecting that weakness.

* Our O will only get better- see above, we ran a conservative playbook due to the OL being challenged.

* Our D will only get better when the O isn't going 3-and-out and tiring them.

We had that game won.  Bizarre circumstances like a K who sucks and an ILB that got injured cost us the win.  I see a very good team out there in the midst of Week 1 growing pains.

SAR I

wow.  I am (some would say) a little TOO optimistic, but you my friend take the cake.  I think the "Darnold sucks" and "fire Gase" ramblings are moronic, but to actually think THAT game was a good thing that leaves you MORE encouraged?  damn.

hey - I hope (pray) you're right, but these next few weeks are doozies!

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

You do know what NFL stands for right? Not For Long.....

Will make yelling when he misses one more interesting......"THAT DAMN FICKEN KICKER!!!!", "HOW DID HE FICKEN MISS THAT???"
I can only wonder when we'll sign Bob Holysh*thowdidhemissthat as our kicker, to really make life easy for the angry fan...

The only one better/worse is blewitt

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Looking through the Packers SB nation sites here are a couple of thoughts on the cuting of Sam, and Keeping of Mason:

"Last Thursday Crosby missed a PAT and barely reached the end zone on kick offs

Ficken, whom most assume was Joe Average, was pretty much level with him on accuracy during camp, hasn’t missed a PAT or shanked a kick off into touch.

Yet Crosby remains our kicker. To those who cite December, I would have agreed till Thursday. If you can’t clear the end zone on a calm summer night, don’t expect to reach it in the tundra months.

To Shareholders point about money and prior performance must now be added real questions about leg strength. One side effect of a decline is not just distance but accuracy as a kicker has to over extend. Another is injury and a street FA.

If Crosby can’t out kick Ficken it is still true that he has proven itself in the clutch moments in the past. Let’s assume that is true. Perhaps he makes 21 extra points (7 kicks) over the course of the season where a novice chokes. That’s a lot, over generous most likely.

How many points do we lose by punting instead of trying a long field goal? More importantly, how many points do we concede because of poor field position resulting from returns? Are we confident that our ST kick coverage will be a plus this year? If so, pre season hasn’t given me that faith and it’s asking a lot of the new ST Coordinator to manage that much of a turnaround.

I’ve never been as driven by cap hit on Crosby as some. It’s a valid factor, but only one. That said, in light of the above, how does that look like value? I really fear it wouldn’t be value at the vet minimum.

I fear that caution overrode performance and that that is a real mistake that we will come to regret as a year, perhaps 2, too late when we start to find a replacement next year."

"Do you never tire of being wrong?

Because they never gave him real competition. Yeah, Ficken isn’t much better than Crosby, but he definitely gives a better value. If they had the same cap hit, I could see the other side’s view (though, I think I’d still go for upside over a declining player who was never that good to begin with), but with such a disparity in pay, it’s not even a competition."

I truthfully don't think this is all doom and gloom.  Can we atleast let him take a couple kicks at practice before bringing out the pitchforks?

24 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Knee jerk?

The kid went 1-4 after being traded to Minnesota and then majorly contributed to us losing on Sunday.

These dudes don’t get much of a leash. And they shouldn’t.

Vedvik’s NFL career is already over.

Not a vote for Vedvik as much as it is a criticism of Douglas and his assessment of him. Minnesota gave up a 5th (pretty steep) so they must have seen NFL ability, Douglas assesses him personally in Baltimore and loves his ability and he hits the upright on an extra point and a bad snap from 45 yards away and he's cut? Just makes Douglas look a little less competent that's all. I also wont lose sleep over it. GO FICKENS!!!

Hopefully Ficken works out but ever since Bertolet was released I don't understand why we
didn't get an experienced kicker.  Cairo Santos, Cody Parkey or Kai Forbath aren't 
sexy but at least they've kicked in the league

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1