New Kicker: Jets Expected to Sign Sam Ficken (Per Rapoport)

Just now, KRL said:

Hopefully Ficken works out but ever since Bertolet was released I don't understand why we
didn't get an experienced kicker.  Cairo Santos, Cody Parkey or Kai Forbath aren't 
sexy but at least they've kicked in the league

Agreed. I kind of understood the Vedvik love a few weeks ago when he could come into a pre-season game and prove himself, but he blew his chance in Minny so the smart move was just to sign some random vet who could at least go 1-2 on kicks. 

Kicker isn't the place you look for upside 3 days before the season starts. 

9 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Not a vote for Vedvik as much as it is a criticism of Douglas and his assessment of him. Minnesota gave up a 5th (pretty steep) so they must have seen NFL ability, Douglas assesses him personally in Baltimore and loves his ability and he hits the upright on an extra point and a bad snap from 45 yards away and he's cut? Just makes Douglas look a little less competent that's all. I also wont lose sleep over it. GO FICKENS!!!

Vedvik has a strong leg and is potentially a good kicker.  The problem for Gase/Douglas is they can't afford on the job training for him because the Jets cannot afford to lose on Monday because Vedvik misses an XP or FG. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  If anything, Sunday's game leaves me more encouraged than ever.

* We may have a Top 5 defense, a complete turnaround from past seasons.  Gregg Williams on point.

* Le'Veon Bell looks like he hasn't missed a step and is the best offensive FA acquisition this year.

* CJ Mosely looks like a beast and is the best defensive FA acquisition this year.

* Jamison Crowder might be the best slot receiver we've had since Chrebet.

* Our OL will only get better-  its clear that they were out of sync and Gase was protecting that weakness.

* Our O will only get better- see above, we ran a conservative playbook due to the OL being challenged.

* Our D will only get better when the O isn't going 3-and-out and tiring them.

We had that game won.  Bizarre circumstances like a K who sucks and an ILB that got injured cost us the win.  I see a very good team out there in the midst of Week 1 growing pains.

SAR I

yep. except that the 4 turnovers should have made it a blow out win.  we'll see what happens from here on out.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Not a vote for Vedvik as much as it is a criticism of Douglas and his assessment of him. Minnesota gave up a 5th (pretty steep) so they must have seen NFL ability, Douglas assesses him personally in Baltimore and loves his ability and he hits the upright on an extra point and a bad snap from 45 yards away and he's cut? Just makes Douglas look a little less competent that's all. I also wont lose sleep over it. GO FICKENS!!!

There's more to this.

Vedvik missed 3 FGs in Minn's last pre-season game. That sealed his fate there. BTW - they also had Dan Bailey so not a hard choice for Minn despite giving up a 5th rounder for him.

Yes, Joe D obviously knew of him in Balt and took a flyer (waiver).

I was re-watching the game on DVR (recorded it since I was there) and they pointed out that in warmups before game, Vedvik was hitting stuff to the left.

It appears the young man is either covering up an injury or (unfortunately or him) has developed a case of the yips.

Either case, time to move on

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Matt Bryant is older than dirt and cant kick off deep. 

is a deep kick off the best strategy?  it seems to me you need a guy who puts it right on the one and then lets the special teams stuff the run back around the 15.  booming the kick is a guaranteed 25 yard line.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

There's more to this.

Vedvik missed 3 FGs in Minn's last pre-season game. That sealed his fate there. BTW - they also had Dan Bailey so not a hard choice for Minn despite giving up a 5th rounder for him.

Yes, Joe D obviously knew of him in Balt and took a flyer (waiver).

I was re-watching the game on DVR (recorded it since I was there) and they pointed out that in warmups before game, Vedvik was hitting stuff to the left.

It appears the young man is either covering up an injury or (unfortunately or him) has developed a case of the yips.

Either case, time to move on

Yes, time to move on

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

wow.  I am (some would say) a little TOO optimistic, but you my friend take the cake.  I think the "Darnold sucks" and "fire Gase" ramblings are moronic, but to actually think THAT game was a good thing that leaves you MORE encouraged?  damn.

hey - I hope (pray) you're right, but these next few weeks are doozies!

If we won the game, we would be talking about our dominant ball-hawking defense, CJ Mosely as the FA signing of the century, L'VB as not missing a step, how Crowder set a record for receptions in the slot, and how well Gase designed a conservative offense to mask his OL that hasn't practiced even once yet and a K that shouldn't be in the league.  Instead, it's suicide.

Keep the faith.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

26 year old cut by 5 teams with only 6 nfl kicks in the nfl…..3 of which he missed...sounds legit

For years we complained about not having a QB, this year we are gona lose multiple games on our kicker issue...….so jets

Do you know how long it takes to find a franchise kicker?  The Dolphins haven't had one since Uwe Von Shaman and it's been 40 years.  Needle in a haystack, they are.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

IMHO, it is an overreaction. Vedvik missed the extra point and that is totally on him. The 45 year FG attempt was a bad snap. Tough FG to make from that distance when the timing is off because of a poor snap. Douglas tried to trade for Vedvik. Mionnesota gave up a 5th for him. Douglas loved Vedvik in Baltimore and now cuts him after one game where you can make the argument that it wasn't entirely Vedvik's fault? Seems like a knee jerk reaction by Douglas who catered to short sighted fans on this one. 

Logically, I sorta agree with this.  However, once there is bad juju you really can't get rid of it.  Just ship him out and try somebody else.

55 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Vedvik has a strong leg and is potentially a good kicker.  The problem for Gase/Douglas is they can't afford on the job training for him because the Jets cannot afford to lose on Monday because Vedvik misses an XP or FG. 

So they signed a guy with a 50% success rate inside the 40 who has played in 4 games?