Jets Aquire Demaryius Thomas

SR24

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What I'm saying is that Joe Douglas never should have entertained the thought of a trade with the Patriots.

Who says he did? Maybe it was Gase. Maybe it was Kris. I wonder who in this jackson pollock painting of an org chart actually has the juice to greenlight something like this. It would be nice if we knew things like that.

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He was a free agent after training camp cuts. They could have had him then for nothing. And until they are able to give Sam time, having a slow WR doesn’t help. 

No they couldn't.  The Patriots cut him in a roster maneuver to protect one of their rookies from getting claimed.  They were shuffling guys and trying to get guys to their Practice Squad.  The message to Thomas was that "we're letting you go and we'll re-sign you in about a week.  Sit tight."

I'm sure that teams called his agent and offered some money.  He said no and what I wrote above is the reason why.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Gotta give JD a full season with the organization before anyone starts bashing him. He obviously knows where the weaknesses are & is trying to fix it. Ofcourse he's gonna make mistakes along the way. Let's hope his 2 big pick ups Kalil n Thomas pan out.

Those aren't big pick ups.  I guess Kalil @$8M is a mid-level, but a 2021 6th?  Big names do not equal big pickups. 

• Upvote 1

Seems fine to me... Keep adding weapons I guess.

But doesn't mean much if we can't keep Sam upright... I don't care if they cloned a 28 year old Jerry Rice 5 times and put them out there... If Sam doesn't have more than a second to throw it's all bunk. OL needs to show up big time. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

The guy was brought in post-FA and post-Draft, handed a roster with several holes and told, "Here....fix this!  By the way, all the good free agents are now signed and we've used most of our Cap for the year.  Find me starting OLinemen, a new Kicker, a CB, a pass rusher and backups for WR, C, TE, ILB, S, and CB.  We're happy to have you onboard!"

Vedvik was the only terrible move he made. Sadly it cost us the win Sunday.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

No they couldn't.  The Patriots cut him in a roster maneuver to protect one of their rookies from getting claimed.  They were shuffling guys and trying to get guys to their Practice Squad.  The message to Thomas was that "we're letting you go and we'll re-sign you in about a week.  Sit tight."

I'm sure that teams called his agent and offered some money.  He said no and what I wrote above is the reason why.

They couldn’t have claimed him on waivers?

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The guy was brought in post-FA and post-Draft, handed a roster with several holes and told, "Here....fix this!  By the way, all the good free agents are now signed and we've used most of our Cap for the year.  Find me starting OLinemen, a new Kicker, a CB, a pass rusher and backups for WR, C, TE, ILB, S, and CB.  We're happy to have you onboard!"

I love these idiots that complain we didnt get Deandre Hopkins for a 2012 6th round pick. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We don't need a WR.  If it were a CB or OL, different story.

Think of the message the coach is sending the team after one measly game.  "You suck so I'm bringing in teacher's pet instead".  We were one play away from winning the game.  We were one injury away from holding the Bills to 3 points.

SAR I

We are also the same team who couldn't do sh!t offensively and scored 8 points despite 4 TO's by Buffalo. Oh yeah and we blew a 16-0 4th quarter lead. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think JD wants to turn this roster over a lot more... He might get the chance if the Jets continue to struggle.

I could see Robby, Leo, and maybe some other smaller parts getting moved... He knows he has a lot of holes to fill, but he also wants to plug them with guys he wants that fit the mold he's looking for...

• Upvote 1

It's pretty obvious they saw something on the game tape that prompted this trade.  My suspicion is it's Enunwa having a problem getting separation as a wideout.  We're probably heading to Herndon/Enunwa looking something like the Pats ran with Gronk/Hernandez back in the day...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Agree.

He signed one of the few available Ks, one who was thought of enough to have a 5th round pick handed over for him.

Word was that when Minny made him their punter and K'r the punting hurt his K'ing.  Hindsight makes it a bad move but really, hes scrambling at this point.  Sucks, hes athletic and has a strong leg.  How do you miss XTR points and chip shot FGs?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

I think JD wants to turn this roster over a lot more... He might get the chance if the Jets continue to struggle.

I could see Robby, Leo, and maybe some other smaller parts getting moved... He knows he has a lot of holes to fill, but he also wants to plug them with guys he wants that fit the mold he's looking for...

I almost expect it at this point but we might as well forget about doing much on Sam’s rookie deal. We really needed to build a solid team before getting the rookie QB. That’s why 2009-2010 worked so well. Put your young QB in a position to succeed. No we are in an awkward spot where we are WAY behind schedule with the rest of the roster and 2020 will already be year 3 of Sam’s deal. 

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, some people are just plain halfwits. They think "JD charge now he fault" like he didn't come in essentaily after the off-season minus camp. I will say though how hard is it to find a kicker who wants an NFL job that can kick extra points... Did every college kicker now bagging groceries forget how to kick extra points?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree.

He signed one of the few available Ks, one who was thought of enough to have a 5th round pick handed over for him.

Word was that when Minny made him their punter and K'r the punting hurt his K'ing.  Hindsight makes it a bad move but really, hes scrambling at this point.  Sucks, hes athletic and has a strong leg.  How do you miss XTR points and chip shot FGs?

So true. I honestly think it was because he remembered him from Baltimore. Still the worst K I've ever seen lol.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Always try to look for the silver lining. On the way to changing this culture you are going to get heartbreaking losses where a series of gaffes contribute to snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. If you are beaten by a team just better than you that day or period it is one thing i.e how the Saints beat the Texans, but to lose the way we did shows talent/culture related issues to be corrected and no time better then the start to get these things ironed out. Let WRs know we will be getting others in to do the job if you don't. So we try with WR Thomas. Let players like kickers know you will be replaced if you faulter. Let all others know you are on notice as Gase basically called out those groups that screwed up, i.e CBs. Maybe the team learns and the talent and culture approve, lets hope. Being a nasty SOB like when Parcells was here did wonders, as well as him bringing in better players mainly FAs and some draft picks. We just have to have this done again now and maintained.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

We need to trade the players up for a contract for picks. Build a strong young core through the draft. Just need a competent drafter for once, hopefully that will be JD.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I like that Douglas is making moves if nothing else to put people on notice. As much as I’m hating on Gase at the moment, at least he’s in agreement with Douglas...produce or get out.

Same applies to you too tho Gasey.

Agreed 110%    Like most of us fans who work for a living, fear of losing your job is a great motivation. I'm all for heads rolling and showing incompetence, selfishness and laziness will not be tolerated!  If this season purges the the perpetrators and we end up with a losing record, than so be it!  Last year's losing was one thing BUT watching the same crap week after week was torture. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I almost expect it at this point but we might as well forget about doing much on Sam’s rookie deal. We really needed to build a solid team before getting the rookie QB. That’s why 2009-2010 worked so well. Put your young QB in a position to succeed. No we are in an awkward spot where we are WAY behind schedule with the rest of the roster and 2020 will already be year 3 of Sam’s deal. 

I'm naive but I still think there will be a window on Sam's rookie deal... Obviously everything needs to go right, and clearly the drafting is the single biggest piece... But there's a chance. 

• Upvote 1