A couple of tweets / video breakdowns of plays

thshadow

Here are a couple of videos of plays from the games. 

The first one shows some horrible miscommunication on the line.  This is the 2nd play of the game.  Darnold is pointing to the right side of the line - yet Kalil turns left at the snap, and 2 people come in essentially untouched.

And a second one.  This shows the first underthrown ball to Anderson.  The pass was definitely underthrown, but it seems if Anderson jumps and attacks the ball (like he normally would), he should catch this.  Instead, he Stephen Hill's it.  Not sure why...

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You can’t jump and get it while running away from the CB. Robby made space and it’s Darnold’s job to get it in front of him. The pressure came and Darnold maybe lost sight at the last minute. 

It’s game 1 there understanding will improve going forward. 

Underthrown ball yes but he could slow down and shield the ball from the DB with his body or slow down and high point it.  Great receivers anticipate and adjust their routes to get the ball

7 hours ago, kdels62 said:

You can’t jump and get it while running away from the CB. Robby made space and it’s Darnold’s job to get it in front of him. The pressure came and Darnold maybe lost sight at the last minute. 

Not sure I understand what you're saying.  You can only jump when you're running full speed?

The ball was definitely underthrown, but it looks like it's a ball that many receivers (including Anderson!) would normally have caught.  Maybe he didn't realize the defender was that close.

10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

No but he could maybe have gotten tangled up with the DB forcing a PI call

• Upvote 1

It seemed like there was a lot of miscommunication or lack of communication with protections all game. It makes you question the wisdom of the lack of playing time with the starting offensive line in the preseason. I know we've ignored o-line for years but a free rusher is usually a communication issue, not an o-line talent issue.

10 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Underthrown ball yes but he could slow down and shield the ball from the DB with his body or slow down and high point it.  Great receivers anticipate and adjust their routes to get the ball

Also, how many times to you see dpi called when a receiver slows down to make a play for the ball and the Cb impedes his progress.  Bad throw by Darnold and a bad play by Robby.  He needed to aggressively attack the ball.

2nd play-

First problem is Darnold underthrows.

2nd problem...  no attack of football...

now, guys like mIchael thomas, deandre hopkins, mike evans are much stronger dudes and make these types of plays...

can Robby add that to his toolbox? It's a failry large ask...   he's a superlean dude, not having that big ol upper body strength

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Also, how many times to you see dpi called when a receiver slows down to make a play for the ball and the Cb impedes his progress.  Bad throw by Darnold and a bad play by Robby.  He needed to aggressively attack the ball.

Ingraining the coming back for the ball into a player (especially the go route guys) is all about repetition...Anderson has talent he just hasnt really improved at all.

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Calling that first ball underthrown is a joke. I see dozens of worse balls completed easily every week. That’s a catch 9/10 times.

dude...    Darnoild can do no wrong... ?   yes, underthown passes get completed... 

sometimes they are so underthrown tha the WR stops, the DB runs by him and then the WR catches it...

see the GW TD by Bills. ( didnt look like an intentional back shoulder to me...)

doesn't mean it wasn't underthrown...

and yeah, Robby needsa fight for it.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

dude...    Darnoild can do no wrong... ?   yes, underthown passes get completed... 

sometimes they are so underthrown tha the WR stops, the DB runs by him and then the WR catches it...

see the GW TD by Bills. ( didnt look like an intentional back shoulder to me...)

doesn't mean it wasn't underthrown...

and yeah, Robby needsa fight for it.

If that’s the level of accuracy that we get from Darnold every time he goes deep he’ll be considered one of the best deep ball throwers in the nfl. If that’s a TD everyone is complementing the throw. 

11 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I disagree with this opinion: Anderson wasn't running away from the defender because the ball was underthrown. I, like the poster who said:

"The pass was definitely underthrown, but it seems if Anderson jumps and attacks the ball (like he normally would), he should catch this.  Instead, he Stephen Hill's it.  Not sure why..."

believe that if Anderson had slowed down, and reached up with his arms to snag the ball, he either

1. Catches the damn ball.
  2. Draws a penalty on the defense for running into him. (although he didn't get a call later on...)

Possibly both of the above.

Instead he attempts a basket catch, which allows the DB to get his arm into Anderson's basket and knock it out. That was lazy and amateurish. I expect a rookie to do that, not some guy playing for a new contract as a veteran.

Anyway, people have asked why Jets fans don't think their WR corps is much:

Enunwa didn't even make it past the first ******* game?!!! [not that he was looking like much anyway...] and Anderson doesn't seem to know how to be a professional WR.

• Upvote 1

Anderson definitely showed a lack of awareness but it did take a great recovery from the CB to prevent the TD. Probably just complacency.

To up and get it would have been a great play but I agree with @phill1c that even if he doesn't make the catch attacking the ball would have almost certainly drawn a penalty.

I watched the first half back with Coach's View last night on Gamepass. The things that stood out as bad watching it live were even worse watching it back. The line was all over the place and it looked like they didn't even know their role half the time. Winters was unbelievably bad and Kalil kept falling over.

The pass coverage was even worse too. Took so little effort for the Bills WR's to find space. On their first two turnovers Allen had guys wide open - Jenkins made a great play to force the fumble because it was a simple 15-20 yard completion otherwise. We were getting carved up throughout the game and the turnovers made it look better than it was. Monday could get brutal.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

doesnt know definition of underthrown

did it hit him in stride? no. is it a crime against humanity? no.

yes Robby needsa fight for it.

Agree. Under throw for sure. But as everyone noted, Robby should have gone up and got that ball. He slowed down to line up with the throw. So he should have been able to attack it.

Darnold’s deep ball accuracy was off all night. There were the two under throws that everyone is analyzing. There was also an overthrow to Robby down the left side. Haven’t seen a replay but it looked like Robby had the guy by a couple of yards. I’m thinking Robby could have dove for it. So again an inaccurate deep ball coupled with a poor effort from the WR. Bad combination.

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Anderson definitely showed a lack of awareness but it did take a great recovery from the CB to prevent the TD. Probably just complacency.

To up and get it would have been a great play but I agree with @phill1c that even if he doesn't make the catch attacking the ball would have almost certainly drawn a penalty.

I watched the first half back with Coach's View last night on Gamepass. The things that stood out as bad watching it live were even worse watching it back. The line was all over the place and it looked like they didn't even know their role half the time. Winters was unbelievably bad and Kalil kept falling over.

The pass coverage was even worse too. Took so little effort for the Bills WR's to find space. On their first two turnovers Allen had guys wide open - Jenkins made a great play to force the fumble because it was a simple 15-20 yard completion otherwise. We were getting carved up throughout the game and the turnovers made it look better than it was. Monday could get brutal.

That’s not good news. Josh Allen wasn’t able to take advantage of the issues you’re pointing out. Mayfield will carve us up. 

• Upvote 1