Remember 9-11

kevinc855

Freshman year of high school.  I was in a Contemporary Affairs class when they announced code whatever color it was and closed on the blinds and we did not receive word until I was on the bus home about what happened.  This was a day we will always remember.  

This is and will always be a sad for many who were affected and/or lost friends or family during that day.  God bless them.  

Mid-town, watched the first tower fall from our 50th floor conf room and then they evacuated our building as all hell broke loose. Didn’t get home till about 11 pm, but at least I made it home.

Geezuz what a freaking day. I hate today. But every time I look up at a beautiful clear blue sky I am reminded of it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I remember 9/11 still so well. I was in college at the time and walked right past some TVs in the gym on the way to my class. 

But I also remember 9/12 really well too... The outpouring of support, the kindness people showed each other, the strength the people of NY, DC and Penn - as well as the entire country - showed. 

9/12 was somber and everyone was still shaken, but there was a twinge of hope and love under that too... We were good to each other. We told our friends and family we loved them because we were reminded things really could end at any moment.

So that's what I try to remember. I try to recall that feeling the nation had in the days afterwards. We rallied around each other. We held people close. We took nothing for granted.

Right.

i was in Pace at the time, was getting breakfast on church street...then running....and then watching the second tower go down from one of the bridges. just took the train to WTC (my normal commute)....that place is a testament to our city and our resiliency to rebuild and carry on.

got bless those that gave their lives then, and those giving their lives still after their efforts at ground 0.

• Upvote 1

Those of us who lived through it, in the effected locations especially, cannot forget that day.  Ever.

What makes me sad, although it shouldn't, is how few kids today even know what 9/11 is or was.  Found myself in a classroom last night with a room full of 18-20 year old students.  When the Professor made a reference to 9/11 being the next day, not a single COLLEGE student realized what the reference she was making was about.  Not one.  When she said what it was and asked....most just had confused looks on their faces.

I was so thoroughly disappointed in that moment.

9/11 is just one of those days that no matter how much time passes will always carry such a heavy cloud over everyone, but especially those who suffered loss.

I could remember so vividly how everything started, where I was, what I was wearing.  The only other day I can remember details as specific as that is the day my best friend was killed in an accident and I got the news.

Its so sad that it took something as horrific and terrible to unify this country at the time, and have so much outpouring of love and compassion for one another, and its alarming, how quickly everyone seems to forget, we are all flesh and bone regardless of gender, skin, and beliefs and that we still remain so divided.

I know a large amount of members here, are from NY/NJ, and as terrible as this was for everyone throughout the country, I cant imagine this happening where I could see the aftermath

• Upvote 1

Had just flown back from Las Vegas the day before.

Was in the office that morning and went into the caf and people were looking at a small TV. and I asked what happened. They said a plane hit the WTC. Not soon thereafter we watched the 2nd plane hit My blood ran cold. Called my wife (ex) who was driving to NJ for work and was in the Bronx and told her to turn around and head back to CT because we were under attack.

Had to leave for an offsite meeting soon thereafter. On the way heard about the Pentagon being hit. When I came out of the meeting and got into the car (with a co-worker) I turned on 880 to hear an update. That's when I heard them say both towers were now gone. I asked my co-worker if he heard the same thing and I said "That's not possible". We just sat there for awhile trying to comprehend.

My cousin's wife worked there and was one of the lucky ones able to get out. She was there for first WTC bombing too.

Never forget.

thank you all for sharing

I had been doing a sales event there the week before

For some reason I had that Tuesday off .... I remember waking up and trying to check my stocks/investments ... not being able to pull up any info on how the markets were performing  ... and being pissed off about that inconvenience to me.

(I appreciate the feelings of that day, and long deep cry you all have just given me in reminding me of that moment) 

NEVER FORGET

• Upvote 1

I'll never forget that day. I was in New York City for the Jets versus colts game the prior Sunday. I was staying in Rockaway with old family friends in the neighborhood I used to live in. My friend John Donohue, who we were staying with, was an electrical engineer for the World Trade Center facility and was in Tower 1. His wife called and said "Hey there's a fire at the Trade Center!", so I walked down to Beach Channel drive and was looking at the fire in the 1st tower when I saw the impact of the 2nd aircraft hitting.... I'll never forget seeing New York City with a combat air patrol over it and with a Marine Corps assault ship and helicopters literally right off shore of Rockaway. Luckily my friend John got home about 10 o'clock that night he made it out of the building... he was a combat veteran and understood the urgency of the situation and when the loud speakers told everybody to stay in place he said **** that everybody with me we're hitting the stairs...

That night, I watched the President speak from a bar called Jamesons. A couple of months later it was almost destroyed in an Airplane crash.  

Devastating day that I will never forget and I was literally in Fire Academy within 3 months.

Never forget

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

6 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Mid-town, watched the first tower fall from our 50th floor conf room and then they evacuated our building as all hell broke loose. Didn’t get home till about 11 pm, but at least I made it home.

Geezuz what a freaking day. I hate today. But every time I look up at a beautiful clear blue sky I am reminded of it. 

clear blue september sky.  what a terrible day.

I was living in Midtown Manhattan at the time. My wife and our one yr. old twins were down there on Sept. 10th as she was requesting to be excused for Jury Duty selection the next day at 8:00 a.m. Thankfully the  judge ruled my wife was excused from attending. If he hadn't I could have lost my wife that day.

My best friends fiance at the time worked for Cantor/Fitzgerald. That day she had a dress fitting for their wedding which was 2 weeks away. All her office perished along with 40 wedding guests who had RSVP'd.  They cancelled the wedding until the following March! 

People were walking past our apartment on West 51st covered in ashes and walking like Zombies.... totally in shock.

Thanks for sharing your story  @jetswin. Thank God for the hundreds of fire/police/PA responders who ran into that building to save others!!

We certainly will never forget and I vote in remembrance of these men & women who lost their lives.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

I had flown up with my son on Delta from Florida.  We took in a Yankees game on Saturday and Jets game on Sunday.  Of course all flights were cancelled on that Monday...I still have my flight return tix and never asked for a refund.  After the attack, I got in our leased car, got on the NYS thruway and headed north for the day...I can't tell you how many first responder vehicles we had passed on the way.  Just think, anyone born on 9/11, that day is now eligible to vote...a long time ago that we will never forget.  Although the terrorists were traced back to Saudi Arabia, it's just too bad we couldn't pin the attack on a country...that country wouldn't exist today.

• Sympathy 1

before I moved out west I worked at Morgan Stanley HQ and supported their trade floors in various locations, including No tower.   I wasn't there but lost friends and one of two that made it were never the same....

My wife was scheduled to fly to Was DC that morning but made her cancel the trip to go to the Dr...   Thank God! 

As a veteran you expect to lose personnel but not like that... if I could have I would have reenlisted again.  

God bless those lost souls and my prays are with their families. 

Never forget 

• Upvote 3

I am brought to tears by so many stories, events etc. I worked in tower 1 for many years and lost friends but what I think of is 2 things among many.

Saw a piece on 911, a dad who continues to pay his daughters cell phone bill so he can call her phone and listen to her voice, makes me tear every time. 

On 911 a few years later, driving on LI from NC I saw a bed sheet hanging across an over pass in Queens. Something to the effect of dad we still miss you .  Imagining the pain and what it takes to do that.

911.  never will forget. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

73 and Me will never forget! In always remembering, we must also be as vigilant

as possible in seeing that it never happens again. God bless America and those

who perished. On behalf of Jet Nation, our thoughts and prayers are with them and their

families forever.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetswin said:

tower 1 my friend...here's my story I wrote up years ago.

never forget

I'll never forget, I was in the North Tower on the 26th floor.

When the plane hit the sound of the explosion was unbelievable, but the aftershock of the hit was worse. The building shook from side to side so violently that I thought it was coming down, my desk was near a window, and as I looked out I could practically see the ground head on. People fell out of their chairs, I was standing and had to hold on to my desk.

When the shaking stopped out in the distance looking through my window, I could see what at first appeared to be rocket trails, which turned out to be flaming debris shooting out and down from above. Now I am frozen, and unsure of what is happening. My next sight is burned into my memory, but it took me days to remember it, some poor soul from an upper floor falling past my window, smoldering, this is what got me moving.

As I made my way to a staircase, I got hit in the head with a ceiling tile, another thing I didn't remember until someone told me later. The desent down the stairs was orderly, there was a strange smell in the air, which I guess was the jet fuel. As I made it to the lower floors, around 5 or 6 the sprinklers were on, and water was rushing down the stairs. Finally we began to exit the stairwell, onto the mezzanine level, and at that exact moment the building began to shake violently again, this was the second plane hitting. Now I ran, but it was like a dream running in slow motion, as I head for an exit to the plaza I was stopped dead in my tracks by something huge falling from above, just outside the revolving door I was about to fo through. One second faster and I'm sure I was gone. Now I spun and ran the other way, through another revolving door that appeared safe, I sprinted to an overpass over West St. that led to the Winter Garden. A security guard on the other side screamed, "Run!" what was happening, I still had no clue, as I got closer to the guard he said we were under attack, missles or planes, he wasn't sure.

I ran towards the water, and then looked up for the first time, the sight was incredible, my first thoughts turned to the friends I had at Cantor Fitzgergerald, I worked for that firm in the past, on the upper floors of that building, including one of my best friends.

I could not stay and watch the horror unfold, people were jumping or falling, so I began walking up the West Side drive right away, I was able to make a call to my wife from a pay phone, and I told her I was OK. The South Tower came down, a sight I'll never forget, as I was a safe distance away. A few zombie like minutes later, the North Tower came down, as I was standing in front of Chelsea Piers.

My cell phone now worked and I called my wife again, she told me of the Pentagon attacks, and I told her there was no way I was going to Grand Central. I did head over towards mid town, to try a find out more info. Now at some bar in the thirties, looking for water, and info, I run into the guy that sat next to me at work. This is crazy, because we took different routes to get to that point, and we live near eachother in Westchester.

He and I walked up, and over the Third Avenue Bridge, where along the way I got hit with bird droppings, as someone said, it was good luck, and I really think it was no small miracle that I got out. In the Bronx, my brother in law picked us up on Arthur Ave.

I'll never forget my friends, neighbors, and acquaintances lost on that day. I think of them on a daily basis. I was lucky, my family was lucky, I pray for those that were not.

Thanks for sharing again, buddy.  Hope all is well.

• Upvote 1

We were home that day and were supposed to be in the World Trade Center that day around that time. But we  over slept because we just came back from a vacation we took to Disney. Needless to say my mom, my brother and I watched it all on the TV. We cried because of how terrifying everything was and because of all those ppl jumping. We stayed in my moms room all day and thought how lucky it was we overslept. 

I still pray for everyone of those lives. 

Never forget.  

My second day of high school (first day of those classes since we used block schedules or something) and we didn't have a clue until the afternoon.  Stupid kids making up rumors like Russia dropped a nuclear bomb, and before I had access to a cell phone.  

I remember my math teacher and later my geography teacher both saying "the world as we know it will never be the same".  I remember the panic because my dad worked a couple of blocks from that place, and I had been to both towers countless times (large family + when visiting everyone wanted to go there).  I didn't watch it in real time because I was in school and they decided to keep us out of the loop.  But watching when we got home and just the utter tragedy was devastating.  My dad had not gone in that day because there were no school buses to my school, so he was working on transferring to another office.  His office was shut down in the area where you didn't have access for months I think, and eventually moved to CT.  I can't even imagine the horror of folks that had someone work nearby or at the towers. 

I was reading about ATC shutting down American air space awhile back and realized the sheer panic people had about further attacks.  Not knowing if this was it, or if there were more coming.  I didn't know it at the time, but my wife's grandfather had died on that day in another country.  But her mother couldn't go to the funeral because all flights were restricted.  

I still have trouble watching stuff on it because it just hits close to home.  I hear some stories and I stop, especially with families that lost folks.  When they ring the bells for the people that died, I end up in tears. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I had flown up with my son on Delta from Florida.  We took in a Yankees game on Saturday and Jets game on Sunday.  Of course all flights were cancelled on that Monday...I still have my flight return tix and never asked for a refund.  After the attack, I got in our leased car, got on the NYS thruway and headed north for the day...I can't tell you how many first responder vehicles we had passed on the way.  Just think, anyone born on 9/11, that day is now eligible to vote...a long time ago that we will never forget.  Although the terrorists were traced back to Saudi Arabia, it's just too bad we couldn't pin the attack on a country...that country wouldn't exist today.

Yeah we should have just wiped out all of them completely.  I live in Dallas, but my brother lives in NYC. I remember feeling so helpless not knowing if he was ok, so angry at those responsible and wanting complete and utter destruction of an entire section of the world.  18 years later I still feel the same way. Luckily my brother was ok.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, SOJ said:

before I moved out west I worked at Morgan Stanley HQ and supported their trade floors in various locations, including No tower.   I wasn't there but lost friends and one of two that made it were never the same....

My wife was scheduled to fly to Was DC that morning but made her cancel the trip to go to the Dr...   Thank God! 

As a veteran you expect to lose personnel but not like that... if I could have I would have reenlisted again.  

God bless those lost souls and my prays are with their families. 

Never forget 

My cousin worked for Morgan Stanley and was in the 2nd tower hit. He was told to "sit in place". He wisely decided not to, along with some co-workers. He stated to me "The towers came down when I was near City Hall Park". He had that look in his eyes that was saying "Yes, I know you work down on Wall street and you know that's only about a 5-7 minute walk away, so if I hesitated, I  might not be here". 
He never worked in the city again. He had kind of a long commute, but that was it. 

I worked over at 60 Wall street. So, wasn't "right there" but close enough for it to be scary. I used to sometimes go to the WTC stop on 1, just for the hell of it, and do a longer walk, instead of the express to Wall street. On a nice day like that, I considered it, but didn't. 

Wife was at home with our 1 month old son, so yeah, she was a little freaked out. 

I used to work next door at 1 BT Plaza and supported some stuff at 5 WTC, the low building. I think I have the # right. Anyway, just shocking to have it happen at a place I spent so much time around. Hell, used to run around like a nut, in HS, in the landfill area from building the WTC, before they put up Battery Park City. 

Lost a childhood friend from the neighborhood who gave up teaching Math to do some math wiz sh*t at a financial firm. Another friend lost her fireman brother. I just remember him a cute little kid. 

And a HS friend, who married a firefighter who spent a lot of time on the pile, well, he's ALL F*CKED up, with more sicknesses than people in their 40's and 50's generally get. And all this BS over the years where she and her husband had to sweat if they would be covered etc. 

• Upvote 2

Yea I cant watch any footage of that day.

My friend Ralph disappeared. I'll never forget the night years earlier he took a mescalin, complained it didnt do anything(after 10 minutes), so he popped another and he went on a serious ride lol

My friends rob and gina bought their first house. It had a finished private basement apartment. Her best friend, Jill, took the apartment. Moved her stuff in Sept 8th.

She started her new job on sept 11. World trade center. That was the last anyone ever saw of her. A month later, parents and friends came to clean out the apartment.

Awful day. Nothing else quite like it in my lifetime at least

• Upvote 1