Sign in to follow this  
Maxman

Quincy's Contract

I feel bad for Quincy, he had a ton of talent but the injuries were too much. He definitely needs to walk away from the game and take care of himself.

That said, how can Macc have given him this contract?  9 million dollar signing bonus. Nobody else was going to give him that. Just terrible now the team has to eat it against the cap.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

honestly im glad the kid got his money, gave his body for the team.

He gave his body for money and planned to do so long before he was a jet

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I feel bad for Quincy, he had a ton of talent but the injuries were too much. He definitely needs to walk away from the game and take care of himself.

That said, how can Macc have given him this contract?  9 million dollar signing bonus. Nobody else was going to give him that. Just terrible now the team has to eat it against the cap.

Max, you know the answer to that, but are probably to classy to say it. Macc was basically incompetent at every facet of the GM job.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, nico002 said:

This is rational^.  But in the same breathe, I am upset about the contract for the team’s sake if that makes sense.

• Upvote 4

Mac had terrible instincts on what players to sign to contracts.  Obviously he didn’t know Enunwa would get injured, but his health track record was awful.

• Upvote 1

That was a very questionable signing at the time.  Gonna take a couple of years, at least, to get out from under the long shadow of the last GM's incompetence.

• Upvote 2

Based on the info in the other thread, he has another $11M (guaranteed for injury) coming to him over the next 2 seasons.

Whoever negotiated that contract was smart. Quincy will be financially ok, but the Jets will be carrying cap dollars for him for the next 2 years.

• Upvote 3

You can spend all day writing I cant believe X got that contract..  every gm in the league is guilty.

Morse, AB, and Fitz immediately come to mind just in the AFCE.

Every day Mac gets fired again.

This is why JD got a 6 year contract.  He needs at least three years to show if he can do the job.  Fans should not be too optimistic here.  The Jets are in a deep, deep hole. 

• Upvote 3

The mistake wasn’t so much the money, but the fact that he was content with needing Enunwa to be an important cog in this WR group.  Failing to draft or sign any other receiver capable of playing outside was another massive failure in Maccagnan’s long, long list of failures.  You would have thought he would have learned his lesson from last year when they were scouring street corners for receivers.  Nope, not Maccagnan, he was good with Robby and Quincy.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Based on the info in the other thread, he has another $11M (guaranteed for injury) coming to him over the next 2 seasons.

Whoever negotiated that contract was smart. Quincy will be financially ok, but the Jets will be carrying cap dollars for him for the next 2 years.

Thats the thing I dont understand. Quincy's contract should have been guaranteed for skill only.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

This GIF needs more play.

You'll be seeing it again. 

You have my word

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Take the cap hit and move on

I agree it is best for the player to walk away while he can. and for the team to move on and try to find an able body. you dont mess around with neck/spine injuries. 

For Quincy's sake he should retire while he is still can walk

36 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

food drink mcdonalds GIF

33 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This GIF needs more play.

Needs to be smashed with a Gallagher hammer! 

52 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

food drink mcdonalds GIF

It's debatable what's worse for a Jets fan's heart:  The Big Mac or Big Macc.  

• Haha 1

now for sake of arguement, how much would we still be carrying if he were to retire?  obviously he gets the 9 million that guaranteed, but wouldnt that then spare the team from the cap number?

Mac was a very bad GM on almost every level - honestly his lack of understanding just the basics of job is mind boggling.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Mac was a very bad GM on almost every level - honestly his lack of understanding just the basics of job is mind boggling.

That’s why I had my hat made haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why would you think no one else would have been willing to pay q? The kid was coming off an injury but he had really looked like a dominant player prior to it. He was one of the best if not the best blocking receiver in the game.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

I'm not. This is business. I want this team to win. The only way they is if they have cap space to sign players. Mac might just as well have flushed the money he gave to Shine a down the toilet. I just hope he gets cut ASAP. He's too brittle to play professional football.

8 hours ago, freestater said:

Macc directly after Idzik was a complete disaster for this franchise. There's no way we could have been worse if we simply kept Tanny in charge, tbh. 

I'll never forget 2009 though when Tanny traded up so much in the draft we ended up with 3 players only. Sanchez, Greene, and Slauson. Albeit starters though.

6 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'll never forget 2009 though when Tanny traded up so much in the draft we ended up with 3 players only. Sanchez, Greene, and Slauson. Albeit starters though.

That was better than any single draft Mac produced.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

That was better than any single draft Mac produced.  

I liked the 2017 draft. Adams and Maye back to back was clever. Great tandem.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I liked the 2017 draft. Adams and Maye back to back was clever. Great tandem.

If Maye stays healthy, it will look decent.  Patrick Mahomes and Dalvin Cook (who many were calling for at the time) would have been a nice outcome too.

Said at the time that it was a bit like the Kerley extension where you had what seemed like a lame duck GM trying to do something to change the narrative in the locker room and with the media. It was a weird deal. Enunwa had talent and had he been healthy I think could have earned in the ballpark of $10-11M a year. But he was just never healthy and his stats really tailed off as the year went on. I think about a week before he signed someone asked me online about where he was at and I thought he was at the point where he would have to take a 1 year deal somewhere for $4-5M, the way a John Brown did. The Jets really went all in. With the kind of injury protection they were giving they should have been under $8M a year.  There was no need to use a signing bonus the way they did either but I guess they were trying to maximize cap space to sell ownership about the plan they had (and they did basically spend it all before Barr pulled out of his deal. JD subsequently spent that this summer).  Immediately the contract became the new standard for a low to moderate performing receiver replacing the Albert Wilson contract in Miami. Its why Crowder was going to get what he got.

The injury is unfortunate and you cant really plan on that stuff killing you but in this case there was enough of a track record to at least criticize the deal for being so bullish on Enunwa.