LB Hartwell signs with Falcons

faba

Hartwell is fourth defensive free agent inked by Atlanta

By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

Standout inside linebacker Ed Hartwell, arguably the premier player remaining in the unrestricted free agent pool, has reached a contract agreement with the Atlanta Falcons, ESPN.com has learned.

Edgerton Hartwell

Linebacker

Baltimore Ravens

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

97 58 39 1 0 0

The deal, which came after days of intense negotiations, fits nicely with Atlanta's often-stated offseason priority of further upgrading a defense that statistically ranked 14th in the NFL in 2004. A four-year veteran who had played his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens, Hartwell is the fourth defensive free agent signed by the Falcons, joining safeties Rich Coady and Ronnie Heard and linebacker Ike Reese.

Certainly the aggressive Hartwell is the Falcons' highest-profile offseason addition and, by far, the highest paid. Despite its need to upgrade at linebacker and safety, and to add more speed to both positions, Atlanta had spent modestly in the opening three weeks of the free agent period.

Hartwell's six-year contract totals $24.25 million and includes an $8 million signing bonus. There are additional base salary guarantees in the first three seasons of the contract. The deal will pay Hartwell $10 million in its first two years and $13.25 million over the first three seasons.

In the end, Hartwell chose the Falcons over the Kansas City Chiefs. Seattle had been in the chase for him as well but, over the past few days, dropped out of the bidding. Agent Harold Lewis negotiated extensively with officials from Atlanta and Kansas City over the weekend and the deal came together when the Falcons raised their offer from $4 million per year, a number on which they had been stuck for days.

A number of Atlanta officials -- including owner Arthur Blank and head coach Jim Mora and defensive coordinator Ed Donatell -- lobbied Hartwell hard the past few days.

"They made me feel wanted and I just think it's a great organization, a great city, and a great chance to win a Super Bowl," Hartwell said on Monday. "There are a lot of really good players there already and I hope I can add that something special, having come from a winning program, that helps get them over the hump. The more they called, the more it all came together and, on Sunday, I told my agent, 'Get a deal done with them. It's where I want to be.' And he took care of business."

Hartwell, 26, has started at inside linebacker in Baltimore's 3-4 front the past three years, but considers himself a pure 4-3 middle 'backer. His addition means that the Falcons will likely have two new starters in 2005. Keith Brooking, a perennial Pro Bowl performer, will likely remain on the weak side. Second-year pro Demorrio Williams, mostly used as a "nickel" linebacker in 2004, is projected as the strongside starter. Hartwell will bump Chris Draft from the middle spot.

The result should be a much quicker and significantly deeper unit, which is exactly what Mora and Donatell were seeking going into the offseason.

Hartwell is a good player who has been over shadowed by Ray Lewis at linebacker with Ravens- good pickup for Falcon defense

That's a great signing. That defense, which was already good, now gets awesome. If they get another corner, it could be the best in the league.

Agreed.

Atlanta is going to be a good team and a contender for a championship for a long time. That franchise is in the best shape they have ever been in.

They have an owner who is willing to do what ever it takes to win. They have a good young head coach who is perfect for the new era of football.

They have Mike Vick. As long as they keep Mike Vick healthy. They will be a threat every year.

They have Mike Vick. As long as they keep Mike Vick healthy. They will be a threat every year.

Or a playoff bust every year, either way. While Mike Vick can always keep a team in games, he can also make some HORRIBLE decisions to take them out of games. In other words, Atlanta fans will be hoping for more of this =D> rather than this #-o from Vick next season, because they are looking very strong otherwise.

Let's see how well Hartwell does without Ray Lewis next to him.

ya beat me too it. all those LBs playing next to Ray Lewis look way better than they actually are. I don't mean the guys like peter bouleware or terrell suggs, those guys are already awesome

but hartwell and adalius thomas are products of Ray Lewis working with them IMO

Agree 100%. Brooking & Hartwell make a nice combo.

Fact is though that the defense might be one of the best in the league but it was proven next year that without a #1 WR, they arn't going anywhere but the NFC Championship Game.

Archived