OT: NY High School girl scores 113

Matt39

Wow, this team they played must have been great.

HS hoops star sets record of 113

BY JULIAN GARCIA

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Epiphanny Prince shown making layup

Kobe who?

Manhattan girls hoops star Epiphanny Prince scored a mind-boggling 113 points yesterday in a game for her Murry Bergtraum High School team - making Kobe Bryant's 81-point game look like child's play.

"I guess this is just once in a lifetime," said Prince, 17, of Brooklyn. "This is amazing to me.

The 5-foot-10 senior hit an incredible 54 out of 60 shots in leading her team to a 137-32 rout of Louis Brandeis High School.

It was only after the final whistle blew that Prince found out she had shattered the girls high school record set by the legendary Cheryl Miller, who went off for 105 points in a 1982 contest.

"When I found out I broke the record, I just started smiling," Prince said. "I couldn't stop smiling." The triple-digit display came an hour after Prince told her coach she was getting bored playing against weak competition.

Coach Ed Grezinsky challenged her to play her best game every time she steps on the court - and she took the advice to heart. "We didn't plan this," Grezinsky said. "She just scored like crazy."

Prince, who plans to play for Rutgers next year, started the game strong, hitting for 39 points in the first quarter. By halftime, she had 59 points, topping her previous complete game career high of 51. She scored only 1 point from the free throw line and hit just four 3-pointers as she knifed through the defense at will to score layup after layup.

Prince's performance even dwarfed the 81 points that Bryant scored for the Los Angeles Lakers two weeks ago, an NBA scoring mark that was second only to Wilt Chamberlain's 100.

Even Cleveland Cavaliers phenom LeBron James was impressed.

"That is amazing," he said last night. "I am happy for that girl. . . . I guess she is going to be in the WNBA. Score 113 points, you might be in the NBA."

Several boys have hit the century mark in high school games over the years.

Prince has led her lower Manhattan school to PSAL city championships in each of her three seasons.

Her youth league coach, Apache Paschall, said he's used to seeing Prince score in bunches but admitted that even he was surprised by yesterday's explosion. "In the first half all I was thinking about was her catching Kobe," Paschall said. "But when she wasn't missing any shots in the second half, it just got ridiculous."

The record-setting performance caps a turbulent year of redemption for Prince, who was tried last spring for her role in a brawl outside a Brooklyn supermarket. Prince was acquitted of assault and menacing charges but found guilty of harassment and sentenced to 15 days of community service.

Real nice, letting someone go for all those points when the team is winning by over 100 points. It doesn't say very much for the coach of the winning team that he lets the big star stay in the entire game in such a one sided drubbing. He should have had all of his scrubs in for the second half instead of going for the jugular in a friggin girls HS game.

My son's team won 56-4 this week

it was embarrassing to watch, at least his coach played all the scrubbs throughout the game.

this coach should be fired, to play this girl the entire game in a 137-37 drubbing is one of the most classless acts in the history of sports.

Archived