Sam Darnold has Mono: MERGED

Prayers for Sam.

This is outright devastating for Jet fans. We really have to be the amongst the strongest fan base in any sport to endure the pain we have experienced. All we can do is wish for a speedy recovery and see him out there hopefully this year, if not next.

C’mon Trevor. Next man up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, msena88 said:

I'm optimistic he will make it back for the eagles game. I think people on here forget that 1. He is a high level athlete and not a schlub like the rest of us and 2. He will receive around the clock care from world class doctors/training staff.

I guarantee he will be on IV's in his apartment to keep his hydration up, they've already said they're going to deliver his meals to ensure he keeps his weight up (this will be incumbent upon him as anyone who has had mono knows, you don't have an appetite and forcing yourself to eat when not hungry is brutal).

As far as the game goes, I think we will see a classic Gase Miami gameplan which will likely infuriate a lot of people on this board. I expect him to try and shorten the game, play keep away and hope to be within a score by the end of the 4Q and try to go win the game. If Mosley doesn't play, this likely won't matter as I fully expect the Browns to drop 35+. It's really a nightmare matchup, they struggle at the tackle positions and we have no edge rushers, they're strong on the outside on offense and our corners are, well our corners. The bills collectively have a nice DL, but Myles Garrett is something completely different and we saw how well we did against the bills front.

Maybe his mom can come and take care of him also.  

He he should learn about seemless. Great for folks who can’t cook

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You are going to get banned. This is just garbage. Very weird joke you are trying to pull off here. Just isn't funny.

There's no reason  to be so serious  about such trivial matters.

The only reason to ban me would be if I'm telling the truth and someone doesn't want that  known.  I told you 8 weeks ago he'd  amount to nothing. Well? Look what's  happening.

Darnold has no major  commercials.Mayfield has 4, before he stepped on the field this year. That means the league will make him successful.  The first game was just a betting trap/decoy. 

The Jets are the constant  butt of jokes.Buttfumble,Geno gets punched, Darnold gets Mono. Tebow, Favre dick picks, Namath- I wanna kiss you... it's  a constant cable TV sitcom. 

It's just sports talk ,man. This isn't serious business. I'll like  sports  my way and you like it yours. No reason to ban me about it.  Are we grown ups or petty  children about stuff  we watch on tv? 

I like it here. My views hurt no one. You don't judge people based on this. Its' trivial to what really matters. Laugh at it. But you'll see things differently as  time goes  on.  

======

Real life example: we are friends at the bar and I say these things. You disagree, we laugh and move on to other stuff. We watch a game, I have my view and you yours. You don't ban me from your life about it. It's not what  you base a friendship on. My view of sports has nothing   to do with how  I'd  treat you as a person, or you me. Lighten up, nothing bad or wrong happened.  A team winning or losing a game on your tv, is the least important  thing in your life. We both understand  it's an escape. So does the league  quite frankly, and they make damn sure to give you a show. 

It's Friday, relaxxx  :)

• Thumb Down 3

A thought occurs, Darnold could have been feeling the symptoms all the way back to Sunday. Like there's a chance he was already low on energy and fighting through what he could have thought was a small cold at that point. Mind, that doesn't completely excuse any moments of poor play, he went out there so he should be held accountable for whatever he put out. But it's food for thought, he might not have been playing at 100%.

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

A thought occurs, Darnold could have been feeling the symptoms all the way back to Sunday. Like there's a chance he was already low on energy and fighting through what he could have thought was a small cold at that point. Mind, that doesn't completely excuse any moments of poor play, he went out there so he should be held accountable for whatever he put out. But it's food for thought, he might not have been playing at 100%.

I agree.

I’m not a big sports radio fan, but I do subscribe to Mike Francesca's podcast page on iTunes. I listened to the interview he had with a doctor who said that if it was his son he wouldn’t let Darnold play this season. Apparently there is no test they can do to determine if the virus is out of your system completely which makes it incredibly dangerous to play football (risk of ruptured spleen). 

I know it’s tough pill to swallow, but it may be the right decision not to risk it with him. It’s likely a lost season anyway with or without him so why not announce Darnold is done for the season, and take the pressure of him and the rest of the players?

• Thumb Down 3

13 minutes ago, GeraldSowell33 said:

I’m not a big sports radio fan, but I do subscribe to Mike Francesca's podcast page on iTunes. I listened to the interview he had with a doctor who said that if it was his son he wouldn’t let Darnold play this season. Apparently there is no test they can do to determine if the virus is out of your system completely which makes it incredibly dangerous to play football (risk of ruptured spleen). 

I know it’s tough pill to swallow, but it may be the right decision not to risk it with him. It’s likely a lost season anyway with or without him so why not announce Darnold is done for the season, and take the pressure of him and the rest of the players?

The Jets Organization should look at this as a blessing in disguise.  The roster has too many holes and tanking this season would give us an extremely valuable top pick that could lead to a major roster upgrade.  Take lessons from the Spurs (when David Robinson went down - led to them getting Tim Duncan) and the Colts (When Manning missed a season - led to them getting Andrew Luck).  If we could end up with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, get 2 CBs, a franchise WR, a franchise LT and an EDGE.

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, deucebag said:

The Jets Organization should look at this as a blessing in disguise.  The roster has too many holes and tanking this season would give us an extremely valuable top pick that could lead to a major roster upgrade.  Take lessons from the Spurs (when David Robinson went down - led to them getting Tim Duncan) and the Colts (When Manning missed a season - led to them getting Andrew Luck).  If we could end up with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, get 2 CBs, a franchise WR, a franchise LT and an EDGE.

The Jets aren't  "tanking" this season. They lost by one point at home with a QB with mono and no FG kicker.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, GeraldSowell33 said:

That seems a little extreme to me? Who am i? What the f*ck do I know? All I can say is I had mono when I was 20. And of course I wasn't an athlete...more of a college age, partying, drunk. But when I had it I literally slept like between 18 to 21 hours a day for about 3 weeks. Now, the obvious problems are staying on a regimented schedule. Sammy can't eat at the correct times because he'll be so tired. He also can't exercise regularly because you don't have any energy at all. Your life consists of a couch and quick, convenient food because you wake up hungry all the time because your lethargy supersedes your ability to be awake enough to eat regularly. So I figure even if he's getting regular visits by a physician he'll still need rehab by the time this is all said and done?

But the DURATION of the disease is what I think may be overstated? After basically 3 weeks I got my energy back. I wanted to go and work out. But once again it was still only 3 weeks. 

Now I know mono is a different story with each person that has it. But honestly this should be a decision made between Sammy, the medical staff, and the coaching staff. I see no reason why they should go through the very extreme precaution as to just say he's on season ending IR.

57 minutes ago, GeraldSowell33 said:

It’s likely a lost season anyway with or without him so why not announce Darnold is done for the season, and take the pressure of him and the rest of the players?

Your unique style of passive-aggressive trolling is obvious regardless of what handle you choose after each banning, just so you know. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Jets doctors are not letting the kid play if there is a threat to his life. They will be checking his spleen. Gotta trust these medical staff people are professional and know what they doing

In the interview Mike Francesca’s doctor said there is no way to test the structural integrity of the the spleen

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, GeraldSowell33 said:

I'm really starting to hate this place. 

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Francessa had a Doctor on his show talking about Sam and what Mono actually is, and from he way he was talking, it sounded like it would be extremely risky (and foolish imo) to bring him back in less than 1-3 months, and flat out said he would recommend his sitting out the whole season. He said that there are no tests for viruses such as mono. If he gets hit in a game and is not fully recovered, his spleen could rupture and that would be potentially life threatening. He also mentioned that there is no test to determine whether or not &/or when the spleen is ok either, even if not swollen, he said it could still rupture if he gets hit the wrong way, even if he feels good. So if the team is 0-6, 1-5, why would they even think of risking his future in the NFL, and more importantly, his life? If there was a way to be sure he was ok, then, fine, as soon as he gains his weight back, absolutely bring him back, but with this, no, it's too dangerous imo - his life and health are the most important thing. Also, mono is highly contagious, he needs to be away from the team until they are 150% sure that virus has run its course to avoid infecting others.

Such a $hitty thing to happen to a great person and could happen to anyone. He must be devastated just like we all are. I bet Sam will probably have to be restrained in 4-6 weeks from trying to come back play too soon no matter what the record is, LOL.

Wishing Sam a full and speedy full recovery!

Sam is our new bubbleboy .

bubble+boy.jpg

• Upvote 1

picture of human spleen

Front View of the Spleen

The spleen is an organ in the upper far left part of the abdomen, to the left of the stomach. The spleen varies in size and shape between people, but it’s commonly fist-shaped, purple, and about 4 inches long. Because the spleen is protected by the rib cage, you can’t easily feel it unless it’s abnormally enlarged.

The spleen plays multiple supporting roles in the body. It acts as a filter for blood as part of the immune system. Old red blood cells are recycled in the spleen, and platelets and white blood cells are stored there. The spleen also helps fight certain kinds of bacteria that cause pneumonia and meningitis.

Spleen Conditions

• Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly): An enlarged spleen, usually caused by viral mononucleosis (“mono”), liver disease, blood cancers (lymphoma and leukemia), or other conditions.
  • Ruptured spleen: The spleen is vulnerable to injury, and a ruptured spleen can cause serious life-threatening internal bleeding and is a life-threatening emergency. An injured spleen may rupture immediately after an injury, or in some cases, days or weeks after an injury.