Sam Darnold has Mono: MERGED

I’ve been on Gase, Darnold, and any excuse-making fan as much as anyone after the Week 1 debacle.

But, if he unknowingly had mono and just thought it was strep or sore throat and tried to play through it, then it explains a lot. Mono wrecks you as others stated in this thread. If he was already losing weight, maybe Gase saw Darnold wasn’t right and tried to keep the gameplan simple...idk

It did seem odd that the preseason offense we saw and the offense the reporters saw in closed practices, tweeting this week that they were completely watered down vs. Buffalo. Who knows...what luck though...

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Silver lining for No-Account Gase.  

Bad for everyone else, especially fans.

This is where a legit good coaches shows his stuff,  Good performance even with injuries and such.  Out last two head coaches got free rides at times when in fact they were just bad coaches overall.

I expect this team to be well coached and have a good game plan each week even if they do not have the players.

• Upvote 4

Why Jets’ Sam Darnold’s mono diagnosis is (strangely) great news for Adam Gase | 5 thoughts on QB issue

Updated 11:24 AM; Today 11:05 AM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets are on the brink of a massive test.

Quarterback Sam Darnold was diagnosed with mono late Tuesday night, knocking him out of the team’s Week 2 matchup against the Browns on Monday night.

Even worse? Mono can ravage and athletes body and take weeks to recover from. So, head coach Adam Gase is bracing for Darnold to miss multiple games – though he won’t make and guarantees or predictions for how long Darnold could be sidelined.

Suddenly, backup Trevor Siemian is the starter. Luke Falk is about to be promoted from the practice squad in order to fill that void.

That’s not what you want when your team is already 0-1 and entering its toughest stretch of the year.

Here are five thoughts on what this diagnosis means, both for Darnold and the Jets, moving forward:

1. Jets’ season may be over

Let’s be quite honest: Losing Darnold for multiple games could very well end this team’s playoff chances, even if it’s only September. The Jets were already facing a near must-win game against the Browns – teams that start 0-2 only make the playoffs about 11 percent of the time. Now, the Jets will be without their offensive leader on Monday night. Beyond that? Between now and Week 7, the Jets play all playoff teams. They have the Patriots and Eagles on the road, followed by the Cowboys and Patriots at home. This is easily the toughest part of their schedule – and their biggest difference maker could miss a large chunk of it, depending on how long this drags on.

2. Early bye week a blessing

We mentioned the Jets’ brutal road between now and Week 7. But there is one built-in silver lining: The Jets are off during Week 4, which buys them a little bit of time during this crucial stretch. The medical timeline for mono varies from person to person, which makes it tricky to predict when he’ll be back on the field. But at the least, he’ll miss one game less than he otherwise would have, thanks to the early bye week. Most teams hate having their week off that early in the season. This time around, it worked out for the Jets.

3. Sophomore slump coming?

Darnold is going to miss games. We already know that much. The question is what he’ll provide once he gets back on the field. Gase already said that Darnold has lost some weight. Odds are that will only continue over the life of this illness – though Darnold and the team will do their best to minimize that. But mono ravages a person’s strength and energy. As a result, it’s fair to wonder how Darnold will look once he finally gets back on the field this year. There’s a very real chance that this affects him for most, if not all, of 2019. Professional athletes are finely tuned and now his routine and body have been thrown out of whack right at the beginning of the year. The ripple effect from that could last quite a while, even once he’s deemed medically ready to return.

4. Signing Siemian looks smart

At the start of this offseason, it looked like Davis Webb could be in line for the Jets’ backup quarterback job. But the team wisely went out and aggressively targeted other backup quarterback options – and now, they’re about to reap the benefits of that proactive work. Siemian is 27 and has started 24 NFL games over the his four seasons. He’s no schmuck. Is he a franchise quarterback? No. But he’s a serviceable, experienced backup who is still in his prime years. The Jets could be in far worse situations than this. Frankly, they were just last year. Josh McCownwas valuable for the Jets in a lot of other ways, but Siemian is a better in-game quarterback than McCown was last year as a 39-year-old.

5. Did Gase just catch a break?

This may sound a bit perverse. Obviously, Gase would prefer to have his quarterback on the field. He wants the best chance to win. But in a roundabout way, this news let’s Gase off the hook. Had the Jets stumbled out of the gates and blown their playoff chances during this early season gauntlet with Darnold in the lineup, Gase would have come under immense fire. Now, he has a built-in excuse for all of 2019. And if Siemian happens to play well and keeps this team in the hunt, then Gase gets to bask in the glow of that success. Basically, the Jets’ first-year head coach now finds himself in a situation where he can earn some serious credit, without any real fear of blame.

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

A top tennis player, Robin Soderling, who beat Nadal at the French Open, was out for over a year and it ended his career. It can be very serious, so it's best to be safe than sorry. Tennis is obviously not as violent as football, but it is more physically grueling over the course of a year. 

Mario Ancic also had it and was never the same. 

This could potentially be worse than a torn ACL. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, PS17 said:

What’s he supposed to do? Turn one of the worst rosters into the league into a competitor? 

As of today he’s either the 3rd or 4th best QB taken last year , now it’s early and he has time to change that , but as of now that’s a fact, a fact that not one of us would have signed for when we drafted him. 

Not to sound any further alarm bells but had mono when I was a junior in HS and ended up spending 13 days in the ICU because of how severe it got. Lost 30 pounds as a result. As others have said, it's one of those things where everyone's experience is different and have to hope his is just an acute case.

8 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

Until it passes he's at risk for a ruptured spleen...which would probably end his season.

I understand, and clearly no one wants the kid to get injured.

I'm just saying catching mono is so random and bizarre I don't recall a starting quarterback ever getting it.

SAR I

The Jets are the perfect example as to why we should NEVER concede too much emotional investment into a sports franchise:  This is the example of the proverbial carrot forever being dangled in front of the horse.  

When the Jets win one day, none of us will know what to do after the day of the Super Bowl.  

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

The Jets are the perfect example as to why we should NEVER concede too much emotional investment into a sports franchise:  This is the example of the proverbial carrot forever being dangled in front of the horse.  

When the Jets win one day, none of us will know what to do after the day of the Super Bowl.  

I will sell my PSL...big bucks........ Investment Gold....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

don't worry, not gonna happen in your lifetime.

• Haha 1

off the top of my head

Joe Namath blows out knee in preseason chasing an int. vs lions...Matt Robinson breaks thumb arm wrestling week he was named starter...Chad breaks wrist in pre season...two QBs dislocate shoulder same game...Vinnie blows out achiles week 1...Super Sammy gets mono, wtf who even gets mono?

I'm sure i'm missing some, older guys help out

2 minutes ago, jetswin said:

off the top of my head

Joe Namath blows out knee in preseason chasing an int. vs lions...Matt Robinson breaks thumb arm wrestling week he was named starter...Chad breaks wrist in pre season...two QBs dislocate shoulder same game...Vinnie blows out achiles week 1...Super Sammy gets mono, wtf who even gets mono?

I'm sure i'm missing some, older guys help out

Nice to see you back!!!

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

Who honestly gives two sh*ts about watching the Cleveland game now? Or any Jets game until Darnold returns?

Time to start up the mock drafts.

would be completely ironic if the jets season spins completely out of control and they somehow luck into the top pick even as the dolphins have gutted their roster to get it.  

• Upvote 1