Not as bad as it may seem

Rsherman28

A few positives  to look at is how bad the Browns actually played at home last week. 

1. 18 penalties, 5 shy of the NFL record for most in a game. There starting LT Greg Robinson also got ejected in the second quarter for kicking a player in the face. Quite a few of the penalties also came on first downs(back to back false starts). 
  2. 4th quarter collapse. The Browns defense was just horrible giving up 3 touchdowns while the offense scored 0 points. A 21-0 4th quarter at home while only trailing by 2 is just hard to do. 
  3. Team offensive stats
    1. 1/10 on 3rd down, 0/2 on 4th down
    2.  14 drives
      • 5 punts
      • 3 turnovers, 1 pick 6
      • 2 turnover on downs
      • 1 Safety 
      • 1 time ran out 
      • 2 touchdowns

I know with Darnold out it will be difficult. However, it looks like the Browns just might beat them selves in this one. If Siemian can win the turnover battle and be mistake free, Gase might be able to change the playbook around to be able to at least move the ball. Siemian is 13-11 as a starter, feed Bell/Montgomery(Bell's MRI is only for caution and will be starting) and play hard nose defense like the first 3 quarters of the Bills game. 

• Upvote 1

This is a good defense. Better then given credit for on this forum. If the defense can hold CLE under 20 points I think they can steal a win. Siemian has won games in Denver and won his first 4 starts in 2016 and first 2 in 2017. Now, I don't expect him to be amazing but if he can get the ball to crowder, Bell and DT.  Robby Anderson is not going to be effective IMO with Siemians arm, The Jets might be able to steal a win from Browns. NE is a loss at this point and probably Eagles too..

This would make the Jets 1-3 for Cowboys and they get Sam back hopefully by then. After the second NE they have a cake schedule for 7 weeks.. win 6 out of the 7 and you still are 7-6 or (8-5 if they take down Cowboys or NE in the second game) going into the home stretch... not ideal but it certainly doesn't end the season.

11 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

the ONLY silver lining now is that the pressure is off.  it's weird how Sam goes down, and I no longer feel this monumental pressure that we MUST win on Monday night.  if they lose, "well Sam was out, and we had a backup QB in there".  it's not "yeah Baker made Sam look like he didn't belong out there" type of scenario.

Nice. The hackenberg logic is back. He's super great because he didn't play and therfore didn't play bad!

• Thumb Down 1

46 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

A few positives  to look at is how bad the Browns actually played at home last week. 

1. 18 penalties, 5 shy of the NFL record for most in a game. There starting LT Greg Robinson also got ejected in the second quarter for kicking a player in the face. Quite a few of the penalties also came on first downs(back to back false starts). 
  2. 4th quarter collapse. The Browns defense was just horrible giving up 3 touchdowns while the offense scored 0 points. A 21-0 4th quarter at home while only trailing by 2 is just hard to do. 
  3. Team offensive stats
    1. 1/10 on 3rd down, 0/2 on 4th down
    2.  14 drives
      • 5 punts
      • 3 turnovers, 1 pick 6
      • 2 turnover on downs
      • 1 Safety 
      • 1 time ran out 
      • 2 touchdowns

I know with Darnold out it will be difficult. However, it looks like the Browns just might beat them selves in this one. If Siemian can win the turnover battle and be mistake free, Gase might be able to change the playbook around to be able to at least move the ball. Siemian is 13-11 as a starter, feed Bell/Montgomery(Bell's MRI is only for caution and will be starting) and play hard nose defense like the first 3 quarters of the Bills game. 

The key is the other players of significance, especially Bell and Mosley, if they are healthy and able to play we can still be in every game.

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

YES!! Where you been man?  We need you to start a thread.

Every year my cousin and I talk right before the 1st game and he always asks me "so, how we gonna do this season?" and my answer every year is the same: "Two words; Super. Bowl!" over the past 8-9 years the answer gets emended sooner and sooner, until we talked on Monday and it was "We need to draft the best DEFENSIVE LINEMAN coming out of college next April"