2020 Draft Prospects, Who do you like??

sec101row23

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Can't beleive we had to go here already, but I may as well throw out a copuple of names.

Bama WR Jerry Jeudy or Georgia LT Andrew Thomas

Hah, right? I mean, maybe it's just habit but I always like watching college football and following the "expert" mock drafts and such that come out all season long... It's not always about giving up on the Jets... I mean sometimes it is... But sometimes it's just fun to look at mock drafts for some reason.

Anywho

Definitely Andrew Thomas. Guy is a franchise LT in my (not at all an) expert opinion. 

Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

A.J. Epenesa, DE  Iowa

Most places seem to agree that there are a slew of DE/OLB/CBs worth taking in the 1st round this year. But it's lacking at skill positions. Outside of QB there are maybe only 3-4 WR/RB/TE's that could go in the 1st... It's a really heavy defensive top-heavy draft - at least on paper this early on.

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Being lazy these are the top five of needed positions copy and pasted from tankathon. Most of them are on the top list of the current big boards. Obviously it’s too early but it give us players to watch.

OT

1 Andrew Thomas - GEORGIA

2 Walker Little - STANFORD

3 Trey Adams - WASHINGTON

4 Tristan Wirfs - IOWA

5 Tommy Kraemer - NOTRE DAME

WR

1 Jerry Jeudy - ALABAMA

2 Laviska Shenault - COLORADO

3 CeeDee Lamb - OKLAHOMA

4 Tee Higgins - CLEMSON

5 Henry Ruggs III - ALABAMA

EDGE

1 Chase Young - OHIO STATE

2 A.J. Epenesa - IOWA

3 Yetur Gross-Matos - PENN STATE

4 Julian Okwara - NOTRE DAME

5 Terrell Lewis - ALABAMA

CB

1 CJ Henderson - FLORIDA

2 Kristian Fulton - LSU

3 Trevon Diggs - ALABAMA

4 Bryce Hall - VIRGINIA

5 Jeffrey Okudah - OHIO STATE

Can we get a breakdown of qbs 5-10?

6 hours ago, HessStation said:

They need 4 top 10 picks for a WR, LT, Edge, and CB and be able to keep their 2nd round for a RG and 3 rounder for a Center. Then, wah la

You joke, but it’s true. Next year’s roster has no OLT, no CB1 or CB2, no WR1 or WR2, and no EDGE. If Bell falls off, we don’t even have a decent young running back on the roster. The roster is brutal at some very expensive positions.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You joke, but it’s true. Next year’s roster has no OLT, no CB1 or CB2, no WR1 or WR2, and no EDGE. If Bell falls off, we don’t even have a decent young running back on the roster. The roster is brutal at some very expensive positions.

Did you just forget that the entire interior OL is useless, old or overpaid? 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think JD could get lucky and fill three of those spots with the Jets top three picks.  Certainly two.  

I can see them trading down.  Either that or pick another QB and trade Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I think JD could get lucky and fill three of those spots with the Jets top three picks.  Certainly two.  

I can see them trading down.  Either that or pick another QB and trade Darnold.  

That’s asking a lot, for them to get immediate starters with their one, two, and three. Say they get a big WR with their first, then they’re drafting the fifth or sixth best CB prospect in round two—and he’s your CB1—and then you’re trying to find an OLT day one starter in round three. Tall order

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s asking a lot, for them to get immediate starters with their one, two, and three. Say they get a big WR with their first, then they’re drafting the fifth or sixth best CB prospect in round two—and he’s your CB1—and then you’re trying to find an OLT day one starter in round three. Tall order

Have you seen our roster? It should be easy to get three first year starters that can contribute. 

1st WR1

2nd CB1 Should easily be better than Roberts or Johnson.

3rd RT when Edoga starts at LT next year.

We should be picking high in every round with everything that has transpired over the last 5 days.

Just now, RobR said:

Have you seen our roster? It should be easy to get three first year starters that can contribute. 

1st WR1

2nd CB1

We should be picking high in every round with everything that has transpired over the last 5 days.

Of course, but expecting to find a CB1 who can start right away in round two or three is very hard. They can find a guy better than the ones we have now, but that’s not the objective.

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

1st WR1

2nd CB1 Should easily be better than Roberts or Johnson.

Next year’s draft looks like there’s going to be some good WRs but not many CBs.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Of course, but expecting to find a CB1 who can start right away in round two or three is very hard. They can find a guy better than the ones we have now, but that’s not the objective.

Maybe the CB they draft in the 5th turns out better. It happens all of the time. If Douglas is good he should easily be able to get 3 first year starters in the draft barring injury because our roster is terrible after all of these years of blowing the draft.

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Next year’s draft looks like there’s going to be some good WRs but not many CBs.

It's early. You could flip my two and three or go will a different position altogether. Maybe double dip on the Oline or receivers. 

We should also have a ton of FA money available.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

In a pinch, you can re-sign Winters and Osemele on the cheap, though. You can live with those two at guard 

I dont mind resigning Osmele, he seems like a good locker room guy and mentor, but Winters has to go.

The team needs to solidify LT, RG and Center for 2020.  Now could that mean draft a LT and center and sign a RG - sure.  Then they need to figure out the Shell/Egoda situation.  

47 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Looking ahead of the draft and how our roster is going to be next season we should trade Leo immediately for anything we could get, he's really overrated maybe we could get a second for him.

Why make another hole on a team full of holes?

I don’t think they’ll get a 2nd if he’s that overrated. There is a lot of DL hitting the market as well next year so it might drop his value even more. 

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Why make another hole on a team full of holes?

I don’t think they’ll get a 2nd if he’s that overrated. There is a lot of DL hitting the market as well next year so it might drop his value even more. 

Is it a hole when you already drafted his raplecement? What has Leo done to be considered a hole when he leaves? Are you willing to pay him top money even though his production has been average at best? I mean if someone is crazy enough to give a 3rd or a 2nd for him you take it and run away with a smile.

all this talk about OT 

the tackles were actually good last week 

look them up in PFF if you like 

Brandon Shell is young and decent and Chuma Edoga looks like he can start too, legit LT when Beachum goes. 

the Jets Oline problems are at guard/center and it doesn't require a top 10 pick to fix that problem. Alex Lewis might be the Winters replacement and he's here right now.

most years theres not even a prospect there worth that pick 

CB/WR are dire needs and OLB/DE pass rush is still awful 

• Sympathy 1

This thread probably should have been in the Draft Forum, but talking draft in September is not the same as giving up on the Jets season.  I watch college football.  Pretty much every Saturday from now through the end of the year will be spent watching college players. 

Kind of nice to get an idea of what players are on some other folks minds to look out for them in the coming weeks.  That does not mean I have quit on the Jets after week 1.  Its been a rough first week, but there is still a lot of football to go.  And if we beat Cleveland on Monday night, I am still going to want to talk college football and draft prospects.

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So if we took Stidham in the 3rd or 4th round, he had the awesome preseason he just had, and was now going to play monday night....

You dont think that is a much better situation then what we have now?  You would be pumped to watch stidham monday night?

No. Siemian may be the best backup in the league right now and has a winning record. Stidham has proven nothing.

38 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Is it a hole when you already drafted his raplecement? What has Leo done to be considered a hole when he leaves? Are you willing to pay him top money even though his production has been average at best? I mean if someone is crazy enough to give a 3rd or a 2nd for him you take it and run away with a smile.

As I keep saying. There’s market value. Leo will get market value as will anyone that is brought in to replace him. Even with drafting Q you’ll need to bring in another DL. If he’s cheaper then Leo he won’t be as good, if he’s as good as Leo he’ll cost the same and if he’s better then Leo he’ll cost more. If they can get a 2nd for him sure go head but I don’t see it considering he’s a UFA next year and there’s a lot of DL hitting the market. 

It’s a fanbase that accepts reality and constantly proactively looks for ways to improve and discusses how to. It’s actually a good thing. It sucks but it will hopefully payoff one day. Discussion obviously doesn’t impact the outcome but this team has made it fun to be armchair GM and speculate at least. 

Thanks CreepyLurker! So tired of everything devolving to name calling and insults immediately around here. Are there actual children on this board?

This season is possibly, even likely already a wash, so, why not look forward?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

As I keep saying. There’s market value. Leo will get market value as will anyone that is brought in to replace him. Even with drafting Q you’ll need to bring in another DL. If he’s cheaper then Leo he won’t be as good, if he’s as good as Leo he’ll cost the same and if he’s better then Leo he’ll cost more. If they can get a 2nd for him sure go head but I don’t see it considering he’s a UFA next year and there’s a lot of DL hitting the market. 

agree, if they suck this year they should trade him to a playoff bound team that has injuries to the DL.

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

all this talk about OT 

the tackles were actually good last week 

look them up in PFF if you like 

Brandon Shell is young and decent and Chuma Edoga looks like he can start too, legit LT when Beachum goes. 

the Jets Oline problems are at guard/center and it doesn't require a top 10 pick to fix that problem. Alex Lewis might be the Winters replacement and he's here right now.

most years theres not even a prospect there worth that pick 

CB/WR are dire needs and OLB/DE pass rush is still awful 

Agree that Beachum and Shell were much better than interior OL -- but both guys are UFA after the season. 

Hopefully we feel good about Edoga by the end of the season and he can replace Beachum.  But there is still a chance we will need a tackle next year -- especially since there is no guarantee that we will re-sign Shell.  At least FA will have played out before the draft, wo we will have a better idea of our needs in April.

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The problem is we dont draft enough qbs.  We take one, and then wait years before we take another.  And then sh!t like this happens and were screwed.

We need to have 2 qbs.  

In 1965 the Jets took 4 QB's in the first 7 rds including the 1st and 2nd picks..

21 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

While were at it, can we look out to 2021 and 2022 as well??

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Good idea. If you have ESPN plus this give you the top players for 21, 22 and 23. Enjoy

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/27165324/15-nfl-draft-prospects-know-2021-2022-2023

Here you go. Enjoy

14 hours ago, RobR said:

It's early. You could flip my two and three or go will a different position altogether. Maybe double dip on the Oline or receivers. 

We should also have a ton of FA money available.

This.

The draft will be one thing, and i think they add a lot of WR, CB, and OL depth/ 1 starter through the draft.

Everything ive heard has suggested a pretty substantial gutting of the roster at years end allowing douglas the flexibility he desires to improve the depth and competition on the roster.   Things ive floated that have caught some traction (albeit its very very early and all of these are conditional on performance)

- Trading henry anderson (he got a big deal last year, and while they like him on the team they want to allocate the DL resources to other positions)

-Letting Leo walk (this is conditional on his year, obviously on a contract year things get interesting.  They are very much in a wait and see approach with him, but they do like the idea of adding speed on the ends next year and keeping him and Q in the middle) . (If they let leo walk, it could impact whether they try to move anderson as well)

-Cutting bait on Trumaine (i dont recall the exact numbers, but i believe this is the year that we can finally cut bait from the deal without massive dead money against the cap)

-Trying to do something with Avery Williamson (ive floated this since they signed CJ, they really like avery, but thats a lot of resources allocated to one position, especially when you have more defensive guys to pay and FA's to go after).

Those are 4 moves already that help the cap situation, also keep monitoring the enunwa recovery.  If he retires from this the jets can get out from under the higher cap figures in the back end of his deal offering nice cap relief.