Jump to content
UnitedWhofans

Not as devastating as made out to be

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Do the words "He's not dead" mean anything to you

I’m old enough to remember when we were all supposed to rally around “hey, at least we’re not the Browns.”

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m old enough to remember when we were all supposed to rally around “hey, at least we’re not the Browns.”
Browns have arguably the most talented roster in football and still found a way to suck. At least we lost miserably with mostly scrubs

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jgb said:

This is an absurd take. Football players get better by playing football. So you are happy that literally the only positive that could possibly come out of this season--Sam's development--is now being retarded?

All reasonable people knew going into this season that this season was, like last season, about Sam growing as the team has no chance to make playoffs.

Lets develop our QB for 5 years and rebuild.for 20......   after the 20th year , well regroup and ask ourselves when winning games starts to come into play ...    

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Grandy said:

This is not a blessing

Mono is a debilitating illness that has serious side effects especially for athletes. It's not even guaranteed that he returns this year. This is supposed to be the most vital year in his development, he needs reps plain and simple. 

You are right and there is no guarantee he even reaches his old physical form. If the Jets end up with the first overall really be tempting to take the best QB in draft I know this will blow this thread up but I dont think people understand how this effects a athlete like Darnold I'm going to say right now having mono the doctor orders no heavy lifting for 3 months in all likelyhood of him returning this year is very thin. Simien is probably the guy for the rest of the year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

You are right and there is no guarantee he even reaches his old physical form. If the Jets end up with the first overall really be tempting to take the best QB in draft I know this will blow this thread up but I dont think people understand how this effects a athlete like Darnold I'm going to say right now having mono the doctor orders no heavy lifting for 3 months in all likelyhood of him returning this year is very thin. Simien is probably the guy for the rest of the year.

Unfortunately, I think the investigation will show that Sam was not completely blameless here, and he may have combined a bit too much fun with his training.  When was the last time you heard a 22 athlete get mono?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Browns have arguably the most talented roster in football and still found a way to suck. At least we lost miserably with mostly scrubs

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

at least we got that working for us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I know about Mono, there are different strains and not all are really bad. My daughter had it  and she got better in 3 weeks and the worst part of it was she lost her voice. It's  possible Sam could be back sooner rather than later. 

The good thing about this is I think the Jets will have to rely more on Bell which is what I was hoping for even with Darnold under center

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, do I understand the premise of this thread correctly?

We suck so bad that it is not safe to send our QB out there behind a weak OL, so we should be thankful that he contracted as serious illness and will not be able to play for several weeks.  And furthermore, our record is likely to be so bad when he returns that we can ease him back into the lineup with no pressure playing the easy part of the schedule.

And we should look at this as a good thing.  Or maybe not good, but at least as not so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't  get through this thread. I don't  know if I have ever seen so many irrational  posts in one place. Sam is sick and he will be out for a few weeks. This is probably the same amount of lost time as a high ankle sprain. It isn't  like we played lights out football on Sunday and should crush anyone that plays us. There are more problems than this and nothing has been done where I feel confident  in saying, ok, we at least fixed that. 

We can still win on Monday. Cleveland looked bad against Tn. And the Titans are not that good. At least the Jets played against a top D and lost.

I have a feeling Gerg William's will have something special ready for his old team that dumped him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Spleen may or may not swell, each case is different

If no swelling, I can see him only missing 3-5 weeks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The health point that people have not quite figured out is how bad mono is, and how it is different for a professional football player. 

We just found out my son had mono within the last few years.   Was wondering why he was droopy.  He is moving forward.

I had it at 19, after college.  In bed for a month.  Was told not to drink all summer.  Started again in August.  That was 36 years ago-I am still here and my liver is good.

But if Sam has an enlarged spleen or liver, he can’t play football.  And he will lose muscle mass that will affect his ability and avoid injury.

It stinks but he should be able to recover fully, from a health and fitness perspective, with time, but that could take longer than a high ankle sprain.  But as opposed to an orthopedic injury, the hope is that Sam has no permanent damage.  So he is better off with this than having his shoulder damaged a la Pennington and Luck because his center can’t block.  

The schedule was brutal this year.  Our best case scenario was 2-4 maybe 3-3.   If Sam got hurt later in the year, maybe Siemian leads to some wins-he is a real backup QB.  

Mono now could lead to 0-6.  Bummer, but if we lose our QB in 2020 we will hopefully have a better team around the backup. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

 

1. I don't want Darnold being killed behind an OL that has yet to gel and by the time he would probably come back (and I would give him as much time as possible to recover) the OL should be more solidified and gelled in terms of communications.

2. If we do go 0-6 or whatever by the time he comes back, then the pressure is back to where we were at the end of last year only he should have better playmakers with Bell and Herndon back from suspension.

The media and some fans (not here) are thinking about this too much in terms of this season' too short term. They blew a 16 point lead to Buffalo. Chances are they weren't making the playoffs anyway.

They are acting like Sam Darnold is dead. He's not dead lol.

Long term we're basically in the same place and if you believe in Joe Douglas, in good hands. 

Obviously it sucks to lose him, but I don't think it's as devastating as it is made out to be

I like this.  We're all obviously upset and disappointed about the way things have gone so far, but it really is year one for these guys as tired as we are of dealing with rebuilds. 

I think the OL will be much improved over the next few weeks and that will be good.  I bet they are improved on Monday night even.  Look everything sucks but nothing is over and I am still excited to watch the team. 

And if we're at 0-6 it will be fun to see if we can manufacture a comeback into meaningful games. If not we will have a high pick in a year where havign a high pick means something. Either way, I'm still in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Im going to be in my sixties by the time this ******* team is competitive again. 

Teenagers 🤣

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

 

1. I don't want Darnold being killed behind an OL that has yet to gel and by the time he would probably come back (and I would give him as much time as possible to recover) the OL should be more solidified and gelled in terms of communications.

2. If we do go 0-6 or whatever by the time he comes back, then the pressure is back to where we were at the end of last year only he should have better playmakers with Bell and Herndon back from suspension.

 The media and some fans (not here) are thinking about this too much in terms of this season' too short term. They blew a 16 point lead to Buffalo. Chances are they weren't making the playoffs anyway.

 They are acting like Sam Darnold is dead. He's not dead lol.

 Long term we're basically in the same place and if you believe in Joe Douglas, in good hands. 

Obviously it sucks to lose him, but I don't think it's as devastating as it is made out to be

Goddammit Gregory.  How do you manage to always have an awful take on everything?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, maybe calling this a "blessing in disguise" is not the correct wording.  Maybe more like, this sucks, but there's a bit of a "silver lining" in that the OL can (maybe, hopefully), upgrade from awful to just mediocre while Sam is out.

The early bye week also helps a bit, but you don't want Darnold missing many games.  If he can come back for the Philly game, that'd be nice. We still need to see how he develops (or not) this year going forward.  Can he really be a "franchise" QB or will he end up a JAG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all.  Simien is 13-11 as a starting qb.  Has multiple 300 yard 4 td performances in his career.

Hes a modern day pat ryan and wont be a dinkin darnold.

Loking forward to it.  Jets win monday night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Not at all.  Simien is 13-11 as a starting qb.  Has multiple 300 yard 4 td performances in his career.

Hes a modern day pat ryan and wont be a dinkin darnold.

Loking forward to it.  Jets win monday night.

Doesn't multiple mean more than one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

 

1. I don't want Darnold being killed behind an OL that has yet to gel and by the time he would probably come back (and I would give him as much time as possible to recover) the OL should be more solidified and gelled in terms of communications.

2. If we do go 0-6 or whatever by the time he comes back, then the pressure is back to where we were at the end of last year only he should have better playmakers with Bell and Herndon back from suspension.

The media and some fans (not here) are thinking about this too much in terms of this season' too short term. They blew a 16 point lead to Buffalo. Chances are they weren't making the playoffs anyway.

They are acting like Sam Darnold is dead. He's not dead lol.

Long term we're basically in the same place and if you believe in Joe Douglas, in good hands. 

Obviously it sucks to lose him, but I don't think it's as devastating as it is made out to be

image.thumb.png.760b4047949d3b61c2c1ee26373b1792.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...