Was the season over at 0-2 even with Sam?

nico002

Because it’s possible that this is the only game that is actually impacted by his absence. 

We weren’t beating the Pats in foxboro either way, then it’s the bye.

0-3 has always been a very likely outcome... 

In fact, 0-6 was very likely as well. We were going to be underdogs the next three weeks even with Darnold.

The good news... the next 7 after that we’ll be favored...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

LOL can anyone please explain to me, how an 0-6 team would be favored against anyone? If you are 0-6 you drop off of the NFL map and are totally discarded and deemed insignificant.

Having said that, adversity brings a team together sometimes, can only hope these guys suck it up and maybe eek out an ugly victory Monday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I decided the season was over when Mac was fired AFTER the draft and FA spending spree. At that point, I knew there was nothing we could expect from a new regime. To ask anyone to come in here and undo the roster ******* of Rex/Tanny, Rex/Idzik, Bowles/Mac... is unfair, and quite frankly a job I'd have turned down. 

You ain’t kidding.

The last 8 Drafts...8 haha can’t believe I wrote that have produced virtually NOTHING.

Thats virtually impossible to do, also since every year you have high picks.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm not concerned with the WL columns as much as I am by Darnold missing however many weeks it will take to recover from this. If it's 3-4 weeks, ok, he can get plenty of time under center this year. From what some people are saying though it might be longer. I have no idea, I'm not a doctor. If this takes 5,6 or more weeks, it's not good at all.

What's bad about this is a young QB will be missing X amount of weeks in his second season, under a second HC, in a second offensive system. No matter how you twist it, missing games is never a good thing, especially with a young QB.

Great points. Sam is going to miss a MINIMUM of 4 games. Personally, I think it will be 6. Time will tell. I picked up 2 extra seats for this season so it really sucks to say this ...  but the reality is that we're once again looking at a 4-12 season. Let's hope the young guys develop, gain some experience and Gase shows us that he can put together some creative game plans as the season goes on. Expecting anything more is just setting yourself up for heartbreak. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nico002 said:

Because it’s possible that this is the only game that is actually impacted by his absence. 

In fact, 0-6 was very likely as well. We were going to be underdogs the next three weeks even with Darnold.

89% of the time that you start 0-2 your season is over.

12 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

What's bad about this is a young QB will be missing X amount of weeks in his second season, under a second HC, in a second offensive system. No matter how you twist it, missing games is never a good thing, especially with a young QB.

this

they could lose every game this season if Darnold flashed and got better each time that would be a good season

imagine Darnold comes back in Dec and works his way into a decent last month 

fast forward to Year 3 Darnold he will have started 16 games total over 2 years and only played good for 2 months of that 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, foxgt90 said:

Great points. Sam is going to miss a MINIMUM of 4 games. Personally, I think it will be 6. Time will tell.  

I suspect Sam will miss at least 6 maybe 8 maybe the whole thing 

even when he's mono free he's going to be at least a month away from the game and down what, 20 pounds... maybe more? 

this isn't TB12 training (the finest of age reducing stem cells) 

he will need time to truly recover and get into the type of shape where he can protect himself 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We were I think 3 point favorites against the bills

Douglas grows a brain and signs an actual kicker we cover

That's because we were playing at home, not because Vegas actually favored the team. 

Also, those are gambling odds in an effort to syphon money from folks. It has nothing to do with how folks really felt about the team straightforward.

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

89% of the time that you start 0-2 your season is over.

and after cleveland they have road games vs the last 2 superbowl winners.  even with darnold and beating cleveland they're probably starting 1-3, coming home to face NE and dallas.  it's really a tough schedule at the start.  4 games vs playoff teams last year (NE x 2, phily, dallas) and the browns who just missed the playoffs last year.  

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's because we were playing at home, not because Vegas actually favored the team. 

Also, those are gambling odds in an effort to syphon money from folks. It has nothing to do with how folks really felt about the team straightforward.

Jets are historically excellent for home openers and they were actually good at home last year 

Leveon Bell is the most famous player from either team etc. 

there were legitimate reasons why Jets were 2.5 point favorites

and to be honest the models were right

if I told you they were up 16-0 at one point would you be worried about the 2.5 points?

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I suspect Sam will miss at least 6 maybe 8 maybe the whole thing 

even when he's mono free he's going to be at least a month away from the game and down what, 20 pounds... maybe more? 

this isn't TB12 training (the finest of age reducing stem cells) 

he will need time to truly recover and get into the type of shape where he can protect himself 

also the timetable could be elongated based on the team's record.  if they're 1-6, what's the rush to bring him back a week or two sooner than he's 100%?  it's clear that douglass has a lot of work to do on the offense this offseason anyway and could lead to them trading guys like leo who they weren't going to extend.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

also the timetable could be elongated based on the team's record.  if they're 1-6, what's the rush to bring him back a week or two sooner than he's 100%?  it's clear that douglass has a lot of work to do on the offense this offseason anyway and could lead to them trading guys like leo who they weren't going to extend.

agree with the first half there will be no rush to start a skinny sickly 205 pound Darnold if the season is trashed. 

they already have a crap ton of cap space with or without Leo. half the team is on 1 year deals. They need more players like Leo not less, he's still getting all the doubles btw.

as we saw last offseason having cap space and getting good players to choose the Jets aren't the same thing 

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

With how hard our schedule is at the beginning of year, I felt we needed to split one between Buffalo and Cleveland. Assumed it would be Buffalo. But now, with Darnold out, 0-6 looks real.

even if they beat cleveland, then what?  2 road games vs the last 2 super bowl champs, then return home to play dallas and NE?  that's 4 games in a row vs playoff teams from last year - and that's not counting cleveland, which won 5 of their last 7 games last year.

14 hours ago, nico002 said:

no.  if that's the way this or any team plays then i don't want to be their fan.  yes it's possible they would've been 0-3 at the break but before last sunday it was also possible for them to be 3-0.  it's not like darnold came out of the gate with a team ready to put up 30 points.  he struggled and the team struggled.  only by playing can the kinks be worked out.