NYallDay

Minkah Fitzpatrick could be on the move

Yup, elite stats at the nickel when used there. Dolphins play him everywhere but the breaking point was lining him up in the box as a Linebacker week1 a majority of his snaps.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Can he play cb?

Yup or safety

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27603958

Sources: Miami DB Fitzpatrick OK'd to seek trade

11:51 PM ET
  • mortensen_chris.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cr
    Chris MortensenNFL reporter

Former first-round pick Minkah Fitzpatrick has received permission from the Miami Dolphins to seek a trade, according to multiple league sources.

Joel Segal, the agent for the defensive back, has been in contact with a number of teams. Fitzpatrick, the 11th overall pick in the 2018 draft, is a defensive back who is unhappy with playing multiple positions, sources said.

Teams initially have been resistant to the Dolphins' apparent asking price that includes a first-round pick, sources said.

Dolphins GM Chris Grier was unavailable for comment late Thursday night, as was Segal.

A Dolphins official told ESPN they are not actively shopping Fitzpatrick, but did not deny that they have given permission to Segal to discuss a trade with teams.

Fitzpatrick is still expected to play Sunday for Dolphins at home against the New England Patriots.

Fitzpatrick was part of a Dolphins defense that was exposed Sunday by Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, who threw for 324 yards and five touchdowns in a 59-10 Baltimore rout.

Fitzpatrick, who was projected as a cornerback/safety out of Alabama, played three or four different positions against Baltimore. He has been uncomfortable with his constantly fluctuating role on the Dolphins' defense throughout the offseason.

During Miami's joint practices with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in August, Fitzpatrick's mom, Melissa, mentioned on Twitter that he was being incorrectly used at strong safety to suit other players' skill sets.

Fitzpatrick confirmed that he agreed with his mother's thoughts after that practice, saying, "She feels very strongly. She's not wrong. Coach has asked me to do something right now. I got to do what they ask me to do. If we have to have some discussions in the future, we'll have those discussions.

"I'm not 215 pounds, 220 pounds. So playing in the box isn't best suited for me, but that's what Coach is asking me to do."

A personnel man for one team had praise for Fitzpatrick as the "ideal slot corner who can cover, blitz off the edge, [is] intelligent, a good tackler and a good special teams player," but doubted that teams would be willing to part with a first-round draft choice in 2020.

Another GM felt that the Dolphins were unrealistic about their expectations on compensation for Fitzpatrick after "they got an arm and a leg for [Laremy] Tunsil from the Texans" before Week 1.

12 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Fitzpatrick, the 11th overall pick in the 2018 draft, is a defensive back who is unhappy with playing multiple positions, sources said.

This is something Jamal loves to do. Just saying.

oh and how entitled do you have to be to request a trade over being played in multiple spots. It’s professional football.. whatever helps the team out man. ::shrug::  that’s how I always thought of it. Whatever gets that W is worth doing. He’s obviously talented enough to do those kinds of things. Why refuse and pout?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

oh and how entitled do you have to be to request a trade over being played in multiple spots. It’s professional football.. whatever helps the team out man. ::shrug::  that’s how I always thought of it. Whatever gets that W is worth doing. He’s obviously talented enough to do those kinds of things. Why refuse and pout?

I think it's pretty apparent that there is nothing that anybody can do on that team to get a W. I don't blame any player that doesn't want to be a part of such an obvious tank job. This isn't basketball where you can take 1 season and go deep in the playoffs the next plus the likelihood of a career ending injury is too high to throw away games like that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Miami is a toxic environment right now and Flores will never survive this. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

well yes but the other part of it is putting a player in the best place to succeed.  if fitzpatrick wanted to play center then that could be a problem.  but if he wants to play corner and only corner then that maybe plays to his strengths.

the bottom line is the guy is a good player and the jets have a secondary need.

• Confused 1

He is very good in the slot but if we’re trade for someone it should really be someone who can play on the outside shouldn’t it?

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

The article implies the package includes a first and more.  Why do the Dolphins think they are getting more then the pick they used on the player at this point.  He hasn't put up anywhere near elite stats and publicly wants to leave - why are we sending multiple picks to them?

On a higher level, I completely understand what Miami is doing is as far as getting into position for a QB, but if I was a talented young player I am absolutely seeking trade or considering sitting out.  This isnt baseball or basketball where you can get your individual stats, coast and get paid while the team rebuilds.  These guys face constant severe injury risk, and given the team nature of football, their "stats/tape" is affected by the lack of good players around them.  No way Id be a part of this mess.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, dolphann4life said:

Yup, elite stats at the nickel when used there. Dolphins play him everywhere but the breaking point was lining him up in the box as a Linebacker week1 a majority of his snaps.

When did Rex start coaching the Miami D? :D 

2 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

He’s a safety- first and foremost. Do the jets need one?

Do the Jets want to give the Fins more picks for one of the only positions they don’t need. 

• Upvote 1

Hated the idea of drafting him. But Flores is not an idiot. If he is a such a great corner, why is Flores playing him at LB/Safety hybrid? No thanks. 

Just now, Bugg said:

Hated the idea of drafting him. But Flores is not an idiot. If he is a such a great corner, why is Flores playing him at LB/Safety hybrid? No thanks. 

Flores is an idiot and is dumping all the talent because he thinks he can rebuild the whole team through the draft. They’ll need 5 years to fix that team if it keeps up. 

• Upvote 2

NFL rumors: Minkah Fitzpatrick to Giants? Why Dolphins’ asking price for CB would be a steal

Updated 8:38 AM; Today 8:01 AM
The Miami Dolphins might trade defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick.

AP

The Miami Dolphins might trade defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick.

shares

By Matt Lombardo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Reports surfaced Friday that the Miami Dolphins have granted permission to former first-round pick (and New Jersey native) Minkah Fitzpatrick to seek a trade, and the asking price should make Giants GM Dave Gettleman sprint to his phone.

According to multiple reports, Miami is asking for a first-round pick, but could settle for a high-second round selection.

Even if the Dolphins ask for a second and third-round pick for Fitzpatrick, it’s a premium that Gettleman and the Giants must give strong consideration to paying.

The Giants have no bigger need than at cornerback, after Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott posted a perfect passer rating in the opener, routinely targeting inexperienced Antonio Hamilton and first-round rookie DeAndre Baker.

Cornerback remains a position the Giants should look to upgrade, despite drafting Baker in the first-round and Corey Ballentine in the sixth-round of April’s NFL Draft. Sam Beal, chosen in the third-round of the 2018 supplemental draft, has not played an NFL snap and remains on injured reserve at the start of this season.

Meanwhile, Fitzpatrick, chosen by the Dolphins with the No. 11 overall pick out of Alabama in the 2018 NFL Draft, did not allow a touchdown in 2018. He has the versatility to play in the slot or line up outside.

As a rookie, Fitzpatrick produced 80 total tackles, intercepted two passes and returned one for a touchdown. According to Pro Football Focus, Fitzpatrick posted a 79.3 overall grade and a 76.7 coverage grade last season.

Another eventuality of acquiring Fitzpatrick is that should the Giants quickly fall out of contention this season, this move could give New York the flexibility to trade cornerback Janoris Jenkins to a contender at some point and allow a pair of first-round picks to start.

Still on his rookie deal, the highest-remaining cap hit on Fitzpatrick’s contract isn’t until 2021 when he is due to count $2.27 million against the cap.

From a positional-need and salary cap perspective, Fitzpatrick would be an ideal fit for the Giants. It now comes down to how much does Gettleman value what could be a pick that falls as high as the top-10 in the second-round against the ability to upgrade the secondary.

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Because he’s not big enough to play in the box as SS or LB. The wear and tear will shorten his career and does not allow him to excel at what he does at an elite level thereby costing him millions of dollars. He hasn’t refused to play or held out. Heck, no one is even saying he hasn’t put in 100%. He’s just asked permission to seek a trade to a team that will use him in a way that best suits his skills and long term interest.  In a nutshell, he’s doing it the right way.

• Upvote 4

Are you suggesting he would want to come to the Jets??? Miami May win more games than the Jets this year.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We all know how this ends. He gets released and picked up by the Patriots.

or they (NE) give up the 6th that we gave them for Broken down D Thomas

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Yup or safety

Send them a 6th rdr. DO we have any more of those?   

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

Are you suggesting he would want to come to the Jets??? Miami May win more games than the Jets this year.

Naaah.  We're going to be ok.  At least compared to Miami that is. I think he may like going against the fins. Could be possible. JD isn't afraid to trade within division it seems. 

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Remember when guys would play with broken arms and bloodied noses?  yeah... that's not how it is anymore.  These guys are pu$$ies.  I don't even like that Mosely came out of the game last week. WTF is going on?  I used to play league flag and I literally played our bronze medal game with pins in my knuckles after having surgery. All for a friggin bronze medal in the Garden State Games in front of 50 people. lol 

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

in 2022

Done. let's get rid of the next decade's 6ths.   Could be brilliant