On a positive note Monday night tailgates?

kevinc855

10 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Dom was getting old, may have been sick. IRS shut him down, said he owed about 170K in taxes.

He should have franchised.

Thanks for the news. A moment of silence here in respect and memory. 

Franchise wouldn't have been the same. You needed him cutting the fresh basil with a scissors over your pizza.  

Well at least we still have Frank Pepe's but it just isn't the same. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

The worst slice in NY is the best anywhere. NJ pizza, not a lot of great pizza like NY.

Ok,  what the hell is the big deal about NY pizza? I'm not making fun of it.. I want to know what's  the point,the thing, the it?  And we are only talking mom n pop places,right?  Not chains of any kind? Or there's  east coast chains thst are  different?  Is it because  the first Italians off the boat did it differently?  What's  up? 

1 minute ago, Hackenberg said:

Ok,  what the hell is the big deal about NY pizza? I'm not making fun of it.. I want to know what's  the point,the thing, the it?  And we are only talking mom n pop places,right?  Not chains of any kind? Or there's  east coast chains thst are  different?  Is it because  the first Italians off the boat did it differently?  What's  up? 

It’s the water numbnuts. 

The water. 

3 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

How come so many Italians are named Tony...........because the first sign they saw when they landed here read TO-NY 

*Im half Italian half Irish FYI 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How come so many Italians are named Tony...........because the first sign they saw when they landed here read TO-NY 

*Im half Italian half Irish FYI 

That's' kind of conflicting in the mafia world, isn't it? :)  ok, but what about the pizza?

13 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

The right balance, of cheese, dough, amount of oil, sauce(no gravy on pizza, that is a tomato sauce), crust thickness. Many variables. To each his own, however, its usually done right in NY, universally. You either understand or you don't, or don't care about food, that's a personal choice.

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

The right balance, of cheese, dough, amount of oil, sauce(no gravy on pizza, that is a tomato sauce), crust thickness. Many variables. To each his own, however, its usually done right in NY, universally. You either understand or you don't, or don't care about food, that's a personal choice.

(no gravy on pizza, that is a tomato sauce)  you're saying other places  use what you call gravy?  Too much oil elsewhere? 

13 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

Some people like an oily pie, some don't. Gravy is with a meat like, sausage, braciole, or meatball, whatever cooking in the sauce after proper preparation, So my family calls it gravy, Ten times better, thicker and tastier than sauce. Sauce is just sauce. No gravy on my pizza. Grandma maid the best pizza.

13 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Some people like an oily pie, some don't. Gravy is with a meat like, sausage, braciole, or meatball, whatever cooking in the sauce after proper preparation, So my family calls it gravy, Ten times better, thicker and tastier than sauce. Sauce is just sauce. No gravy on my pizza. Grandma maid the best pizza.

Ok, but hold on. Youre saying Ny does either well and better/different from the rest? At first I thought you ment everyone does it too thick.  It seems that every movie I've ever seen since the 70s.. if someone's in NY and gets a slice..it's always /mostly a thin cheese slice.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:26 PM, Hackenberg said:

Come on, real answer. Not that  crap

What's the difference? 

OK here's the real story:

For a long time, the pizza places of NY were manned by "workers" brought in from Napoli as the stores make perfect money laundering facilities. The product there is far superior (as a general rule) to the rest of Italy and far superior in that country (as a general rule) to the rest of the world. Anyone who has ever had it there would know what exactly what I'm talking about.  The difference is the freshness, a sauce with just the right spices and fresh high quality tomatoes, the exact amount of and right quality of the cheese and the preparation that allows the thin crust. Italians of all walks of life take great pride in their food and it shows. In addition to the "worker" manned stores you have other immigrants who came here with the same craft, recipes and pride such as the aforementioned Dom DiFara and Frank Pepe. The pizzas are made from fresh dough with fresh ingredients and special recipes. It shows. NO franchise has ever existed that produced anything that can even be considered the same dish.  Di Fara was a great example of what has now disappeared. The dough was made just before, the pie was made fresh with your order (loooong waits)  and the old man even took the basil from a pot that grew on a windowsill and cut the ingredient directly onto the pie you would be served in moments.   

Unfortunately, a combination of the immigrant generation getting old and Sammy the Bull breaking up the organization that required money laundering facilities, most stores have been closed or sold to others (let's just say non-Neapolitans) who do not have Bas-Italia skills and pride. Even in NY, you now get pizza made with dough, premade and stored in a refrigerator, bland sauce and no tossed crust. Many places even pre make the pies and store them in a refrigerator before throwing them in the oven (Blasphemy!). Shame that, but all things change. Luckily, it still hasn't in Italia. Try a pie there and see if anything on this side of the pond is even considered the same dish.  

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

OK here's the real story:

For a long time, the pizza places of NY were manned by "workers" brought in from Napoli as the stores make perfect money laundering facilities. The product there is far superior (as a general rule) to the rest of Italy and far superior in that country (as a general rule) to the rest of the world. Anyone who has ever had it there would know what exactly what I'm talking about.  The difference is the freshness, a sauce with just the right spices and fresh high quality tomatoes, the exact amount of and right quality of the cheese and the preparation that allows the thin crust. Italians of all walks of life take great pride in their food and it shows. In addition to the "worker" manned stores you have other immigrants who came here with the same craft, recipes and pride such as the aforementioned Dom DiFara and Frank Pepe. The pizzas are made from fresh dough with fresh ingredients and special recipes. It shows. NO franchise has ever existed that produced anything that can even be considered the same dish.  Di Fara was a great example of what has now disappeared. The dough was made just before, the pie was made fresh with your order (loooong waits)  and the old man even took the basil from a pot that grew on a windowsill and cut the ingredient directly onto the pie you would be served in moments.   

Unfortunately, a combination of the immigrant generation getting old and Sammy the Bull breaking up the organization that required money laundering facilities, most stores have been closed or sold to others (let's just say non-Neapolitans) who do not have Bas-Italia skills and pride. Even in NY, you now get pizza made with dough, premade and stored in a refrigerator, bland sauce and no tossed crust. Many places even pre amke teh pies and store them in a refrigerator before throwing them in the oven. Shame that, but all things change. Luckily, it still hasn't in Italia. Try a pie there and see if anything on this side of the pond is even considered the same dish.  

How long have you known all this?

25 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

How long have you known all this?

If you come from an Italian family and are second or third generation, you know, or remember. It was all you knew as you grew up. 

@Apache 51 @The Crimson King my grandma made great pizza too, but the best was New Years Eve. That afternoon she'd start frying zeppoles. Some were plain, tossed with confection sugar, but the best were round. Those were the size of a big rice ball. The middle of the dough was stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella and diced dry sausage. She would fry all night. Family and neighbors would stop by through out the night "for a drink" and some pizza and zeppoles!

To this day I've never seen anyone else do them like that. My family keeps all the traditions, ie Sunday dinners that last for hours, Feast of the seven fishes, and the big Easter breakfast we still make the pizza rustica, grain pies, etc. But my favorite,, the stuffed zeppoles ended when we lost my grandmother.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

So, basically,  you're saying,  the mafia brought pizza to America

More like the Bas-Italia immigrants brought it and when they stopped coming, the (ahem) organization who might have some use of money laundering facilities who may or may not have been organized in five "families", brought over men who kept the traditions alive.

All this talk is making me hungry and Mrs. Crimson won't allow a 11:30p snack :) 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If you come from an Italian family and are second or third generation, you know, or remember. It was all you knew as you grew up. 

@Apache 51 @The Crimson King my grandma made great pizza too, but the best was New Years Eve. That afternoon she'd start frying zeppoles. Some were plain, tossed with confection sugar, but the best were round. Those were the size of a big rice ball. The middle of the dough was stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella and diced dry sausage.

To this day I've never seen anyone else do them like that. My family keeps all the traditions, ie Sunday dinners that last for hours, Feast of the seven fishes, and the big Easter breakfast we still make the pizza rustica, grain pies, etc. But my favorite,, the stuffed zeppoles ended when we lost my grandmother.

Nice! Very nostalgic. Mrs. Crimson was born there so her family did all that too. However, we were the only ones NOT at Sunday dinners, especially Septmember thru early February for obvious reasons. Drove my father in law nuts. All that is disappearing with the grandmas.

You know it's San Gennaro, right? Zeppole and pasta Albanian style. Not the same but kinda fun to go to.

To tie this in, dessert at tomorrows tailgate is going to be cannoli's from an Arthur Ave pork store that opened a branch here in Westchester. Not quite Alba's but not too bad. 

BTW: Never had rice ball sized zeppoles stuffed like that. You should start a franchise !

6 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Nice! Very nostalgic. Mrs. Crimson was born there so her family did all that too. However, we were the only ones NOT at Sunday dinners, especially Septmember thru early February for obvious reasons. Drove my father in law nuts. All that is disappearing with the grandmas.

You know it's San Gennaro, right? Zeppole and pasta Albanian style. Not the same but kinda fun to go to.

To tie this in, dessert at tomorrows tailgate is going to be cannoli's from an Arthur Ave pork store that opened a branch here in Westchester. Not quite Alba's but not too bad. 

BTW: Never had rice ball sized zeppoles stuffed like that. You should start a franchise !

I used to go to the feast every year! I moved to SC 8 years ago and the thing I miss most is the food. The pork stores, the bakeries...It took me a long time, and it’s 30 miles away, but I finally found a good Italian Butcher/ pork store, lol.

My family is still up there though, and I go up for a couple of weeks around Easter, about 6 weeks in the the summer, and then the holidays. Each trip I pack on about 10 lbs, then have to work like hell to lose it when I get back down here...