I guess that ices the pain. But I’d still rather have bridgewater than Semien

Because of what?
Because you woke up and said to yourself, "What can I complain about today?"

Ah, Teddy Bridgewater 

Like we traded away A Rogers

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hael said:

We would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick.  The trade itself was roughly what Teddy was worth, so it wasn’t a great ‘trade’ perse.  The valuable thing was signing him in the first place, which I gather was largely of his own choosing and less a coup for a GM.  But whatever, I consider it the best net win for us in Macs entire miserable career here

This is a false narrative. We likely would have got nothing for Teddy leaving as a FA.

The comp pick formula is based on a load of factors, including the size of the contract a player signs and the success he has with his new team. But the most important factor is net losses - you have to lose more players than you sign to qualify for comp picks.

We lost very little in FA this year, and the players we did lose signed low-level contracts and are not expected to be impact players. We signed a load of good players to big-money deals, more than cancelling out our losses.

So, even if Teddy had stayed for the year and then left as a FA, there is no chance we would have received a 3rd round comp pick (or any comp pick) for him at all.

Trading Teddy at that time, as the 3rd string QB, for a 3rd round pick was absolutely the right move and a great trade.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Hael said:

We would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick.  The trade itself was roughly what Teddy was worth, so it wasn’t a great ‘trade’ perse.  The valuable thing was signing him in the first place, which I gather was largely of his own choosing and less a coup for a GM.  But whatever, I considt er it the best net win for us in Macs entire miserable career here

On what ******* planet do you see a 3rd round comp pick for Bridgewater?  The comp pick formula is based on contract, playing time and postseason honors.  He signed a 1 year deal, never played and received no honors.  He got $7M, but everything else is going against him.  Fitzpatrick played, and played fairly well, got similar money and rated a sixth according to overthecap. 

The following factors are what really makes your premise silly.  That would be a 2020 6th, which is way the **** worse than a 2019 3rd.  The Jets were buyers in free agency by necessity.  Pretty obvious that Bell, Mosley, Crowder, Siemian, etc were going to offset any FA losses the Jets had, so it was obvious they weren't getting any comp picks. Even if Bridgewater would have rated a 3rd round comp pick, he would have been offset by Mosley and the net would be nothing. 

The idea the Jets would have gotten a 3rd for him without a trade is over the moon ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’ll never understand this over the top love for Bridgewater by Jets fans.

If anything, Taysom Hill is viewed as the successor to Brees by the Saints and their fans. Not Teddy.

I never got the Bridgewater love either the guy was a glorified Jay Fiedler before he sustained a horrific injury 

We signed him to a one year deal and got more than fair market value for him which turned into Edoga who looks to become a serviceable NFL OL

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I never got the Bridgewater love either the guy was a glorified Jay Fiedler before he sustained a horrific injury 

We signed him to a one year deal and got more than fair market value for him which turned into Edoga who looks to become a serviceable NFL OL

Right. He wasn't taking anybody anywhere. That was real bad, and he needs run. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If only someone had said all along that trading Teddy before we had evidence of Sam being a draft “hit” was stupid. If only.

I’ve always been A Teddy fan, and really wanted the Jets to draft him out of Louisville, the problem was we would have had to pay him this offseason or risk losing him for very little comp. I think the trade was fine, the person using the draft pick was the problem 

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I’ve always been A Teddy fan, and really wanted the Jets to draft him out of Louisville, the problem was we would have had to pay him this offseason or risk losing him for very little comp. I think the trade was fine, the person using the draft pick was the problem 

Agree about Mac. Would add that Mac gave out so much bad contracts to FAs, it would have been acceptable to pay Teddy and let Sam fully acclimate. Based on his time missed and improvement when he came back, the evidence supports sitting him as a rookie. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Agree about Mac. Would add that Mac gave out so much bad contracts to FAs, it would have been acceptable to pay Teddy and let Sam fully acclimate. Based on his time missed and improvement when he came back, the evidence supports sitting him as a rookie. 

Certainly fair point , I would not have been upset to keep Teddy at all

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

On what ******* planet do you see a 3rd round comp pick for Bridgewater?  The comp pick formula is based on contract, playing time and postseason honors.  He signed a 1 year deal, never played and received no honors.  He got $7M, but everything else is going against him.  Fitzpatrick played, and played fairly well, got similar money and rated a sixth according to overthecap. 

The following factors are what really makes your premise silly.  That would be a 2020 6th, which is way the **** worse than a 2019 3rd.  The Jets were buyers in free agency by necessity.  Pretty obvious that Bell, Mosley, Crowder, Siemian, etc were going to offset any FA losses the Jets had, so it was obvious they weren't getting any comp picks. Even if Bridgewater would have rated a 3rd round comp pick, he would have been offset by Mosley and the net would be nothing. 

The idea the Jets would have gotten a 3rd for him without a trade is over the moon ridiculous. 

Nope, that's not how it works. 

The trade was a late 2019 3rd for TB and an early 6th round pick.  This leads to roughly 70 points in draft value from the draft chart, or roughly a mid 4th round pick in 2019 total value.

T.B was coming off an injury and would have been signed the following year by any team in the NFL for at the very least top backup money/early starter money.  He was the face of the franchise for the Vikings the year before.  That contract would have netted a 3rd round comp pick in 2020 if the Jets qualified.  (which is typically equal to a late 4th round pick in 2019).  That's exactly the trade's value, and more or less 'explains' the pricing of the trade.

Here's the important thing to understand.  Even if the Jets didn't actually qualify for picks that year, it doesn't matter to his net value b/c SOME other team would.   So in other words if you trade your comp pick players away to another team that does qualify for the comp picks, they compensate you accordingly b/c they receive the benefit.

There is a slight difference between the mid 4th round pick we got vs the late 4th round pick we would have received, and you can think of that as the value added by the trade.   In any event, as you can see it was the signing in the first place that really gave the value and not the actual 'trade' perse.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:42 PM, Hael said:

We would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick.  The trade itself was roughly what Teddy was worth, so it wasn’t a great ‘trade’ perse.  The valuable thing was signing him in the first place, which I gather was largely of his own choosing and less a coup for a GM.  But whatever, I consider it the best net win for us in Macs entire miserable career here

He hadn’t played a game (outside of the last game of 2017) since 2016. Based on playing time alone I doubt he would have garnered a 3rd round compensatory pick. 

Should've kept him. A few of us said that at the time. Darnold was a rookie. Who knew if he would bust or not? FYI--jury still out on that.

We were called wrong because we all know what kind of magic Macc could spin with those mid-round picks and because "Teddy will never accept a backup role in 2019." Welp...

On 9/13/2019 at 5:38 PM, GreenFish said:

If Edoga becomes the starting RT, this trade is easily a win.

Teddy over Semien doesn’t make a difference. 

Plenty of reasons to dog Macc, trading Teddy for Edoga isn’t one of them. 

MAC will suck in eternity with or without the TB move.  I have no issue with the move ....   

On 9/14/2019 at 12:02 PM, NoBowles said:

Never liked his arm.  That includes at Louisville.

Not a guy who takes a team on a deep playoff run in the pros....if he even gets there.

If the Jets ever started the guy it would have been more “spinning of wheels, wasting time”...think you’ve seen enough of that...Sanchez, Fitzpatrick etc.