Asleep at the wheel

Jetster

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I agree. If it was up to Douglas he would have it that way. But you don't 'buy' O-line, you have to draft it b/c you won't be able to afford to keep those guys together otherwise. 

That and rarely do you see good OL below the age of 38 available as FA

You find the Osemele's of the world available, a good player at a cost and not enough to completely turn a OL around.

Lets also keep in mind, Osemele, Kalil, Winter and Shell hardly played played or didnt play all preseason.  This was one game together for a unit everyone says needs to play together and form a unit.  

Playing against a really tough defense and front 7

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Let me start out by saying, it is what it is regarding the bad luck bestowed upon us at the start of this season. Sh*t happens. The unfortunate thing about being a Jet fan is how inept the ownership has been & how over and over again Woody put people in charge who couldn't post an intelligent thought here at Jetnation. While we all banter back & forth, argue fuss & fight here all of us are here because we've tied our wagons to the New York Jets football team since we were young. 

Im obvious completely bummed out with the news of Darnold & Mono, but I have to say, though I feel bad for Quincy Enunwa, we FINALLY will have to look to sign or draft a #1 WR. Guys like Quincy & Winters, the last holdovers of the most incompetent GMs Idzik & Macc will be the final 2 ejections of overpaid JAGs we'll see here going forward. Thanks to Woody we've literally had 8 years of probably the most horrific drafting by a franchise in the history of the sport. These guys couldn't stumble into a good draft pick. 

I feel bad for Chris Johnson who finally had the balls to burn this place down, but with any renovation project as you know once you expose what's under the Sheetrock you start to find all kinds of problems that need to be solved. Gase & JD started that project by jettisoning Jags or malcontents like Darren Lee right off the bat. They had nothing to do with the Quincy resigning. This offseason I was one of the most optimistic fans on this board, but I made it very clear in my posts that for us to fight for a playoff spot we would have to stay healthy as I knew this team had no depth & was paperthin. 

But im still optimistic about our future under Gase/JD. They're all in 100% football guys. They love football, talk football live football & I truly believe that they can work together, have a plan & can work together to get the pcs necessary to turn things around. I never had dreams of Super Bowls for 2019, only competing for a Wild Card if possible. The days of overpaying for average players like Quincy & Winters are over with this new regime & it will take some time with what these last 2 GMs left here. But I still believe Darnold can be a great QB & Joe Douglas will right this ship starting this offseason & with the 2020 draft. It's painful after the anticipating of season season falls off the wheels out of the gate & the football gods have not been kind to us but IT IS WHAT IT IS. Let's see what kind of fight this group has in them, it could tell us a lot about our near future & what we might expect when Sam returns. Go Jets. 

I think with Darnold and Douglas we have legit hope. I just hope Gase doesn’t ruin Sam. I hope Week 1 game plan was a combo of aberration and sam being sick. Because the offense and was aggressive and sharp in preseason.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think with Darnold and Douglas we have legit hope. I just hope Gase doesn’t ruin Sam. I hope Week 1 game plan was a combo of aberration and sam being sick. Because the offense and was aggressive and sharp in preseason.

I listened to Glenn Naughton's podcast and he brought up a very good point about how Gase did not call plays to Sam's strength. How when Sam was clearly being pressured and the O-line was struggling in protection he didn't start rolling him out and putting him on the move, something Sam is fantastic at. I agree 100%. That was just one example. Another one was how rarely Montgomery was used, how rarely Bell was used as a WR, how few shots were taken deep early in the game- being predictable- taking shots deep only when we were desperate to score. I mean, the Bills defense is clearly good and some of it may have been to prevent turnovers (after all sam had no INTs and there were no FMBLs). But it was a predictable, conservative gameplan from a coach who is supposed to be the opposite. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That and rarely do you see good OL below the age of 38 available as FA

You find the Osemele's of the world available, a good player at a cost and not enough to completely turn a OL around.

Lets also keep in mind, Osemele, Kalil, Winter and Shell hardly played played or didnt play all preseason.  This was one game together for a unit everyone says needs to play together and form a unit.  

Playing against a really tough defense and front 7

good points about the oline.  this group is being maligned, and rightly so, but they still haven't played together very long and it takes time.  the buffalo defense basically put 8 in the box and rushed the passer.  nothing fancy about that.

and it does suk that darnold gets mono and will be out for a time but there's a ton of football left.  siemian is not a bad qb and if the oline gets it's act together with bell in the back field, this team could surprise.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Wait, what, how much are we paying our out of retirement center again?  

What a second tier or veteran C with a history of pro bowls makes?  

He played his first game of the season, 1 game on that line and we need to complain about the C?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I listened to Glenn Naughton's podcast and he brought up a very good point about how Gase did not call plays to Sam's strength. How when Sam was clearly being pressured and the O-line was struggling in protection he didn't start rolling him out and putting him on the move, something Sam is fantastic at. I agree 100%. That was just one example. Another one was how rarely Montgomery was used, how rarely Bell was used as a WR, how few shots were taken deep early in the game- being predictable- taking shots deep only when we were desperate to score. I mean, the Bills defense is clearly good and some of it may have been to prevent turnovers (after all sam had no INTs and there were no FMBLs). But it was a predictable, conservative gameplan from a coach who is supposed to be the opposite. 

You call a conservative game plan when you are winning.  No reason to take risks.  That game was there for the taking.  If the trend continues I can see complaining, but after that game? Throw it away and come back next week.  **** the Browns.  Let's **** them up.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What a second tier or veteran C with a history of pro bowls makes?  

He played his first game of the season, 1 game on that line and we need to complain about the C?  

are you kidding? you are better off handing out cheese to go with all this wine.

#somepeoplelovetobitchaboutthedumbestsh*tandtheonlythingtodoitlaughattheirasses

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Wait, what, how much are we paying our out of retirement center again?  

It's a one year deal. The only thing I care about are overall contracts. Kalils contract will have no impact on the rebuild, Enunwas will. Dead money is a killer. Mosely, Crowder & Bell were on good contracts based on age & ability. You saw the influence Mosely had Sunday. All 3 of our free agents contracted for more than 1 year are keepers. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

All of those things are true, but if our azzhole kicker makes a FG, Mosely doesn't get hurt & Sam doesn't lazily throw off his back foot the only threads here would have been about the upcoming Cleveland game. NFL football always comes down to a few things between winning & losing and all 3 of those things I just mentioned are not the coaches fault.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I didn't like that game plan either. No creativity of offense at all. Maybe just maybe he became conservative because we had a lead but I have my doubts. I was yelling all game Go Deep to Robbie to open up the field. Where was the run threat by the QB to keep the defense honest? Ive been fine with Gase so far but if he can't be creative on offense and find a way to counteract what the defense is doing then this great offensive mind is useless!

"I feel bad for Chris Johnson who finally had the balls to burn this place down, "

You feel sorry for him setting up and organizational structure built to fail. (coach and GM reporting to him separately and with the same power).

You feel sorry for him 'finally' burning it down when he should have had the balls to do so a couple years earlier.

You feel sorry for him keeping a fail GM on for one last 'screw the team' draft rather than firing him at the proper time, when you fired the coach.

Chris Johnson is the one calling all the most important shots with this team, he should not be 'felt sorry for' for screwing up so badly and not learning from his mistakes.

I have no idea how this guy is getting so much praise and pats of the back, he's at least as bad as woody.

• Upvote 1

There is absolutely no Perfect rip and rebuild for any football team. Look around the league it's all always moving parts. I said multiple times in the offseason this team will be gritty and compete. Every team in the NFL has weaknesses and strengths from year to year. I actually think if healthy we have enough star power on our team, and enough bit and roll players to snatch about 10 wins. Unfortunately we have caught the injury bug at this point. The only thing that bothered me is our offense against the bills reminded me a lot of the Paul Hackett days. That is what I hope is an aberration. We still have 15 more games to play and I'm backing my team 100%. Next man up! Let's go win

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

.....but it's that ALWAYS the story.  Better to bite the bullet IMHO and go with what you have till you are much more sure of getting something better 

When there were still good C prospects on the board and Mr. Coffee took Polite, that was the final nail. It disgusted Gase and left them without any further viable options. That lead to the Khalil siging...I guess Harrison wasn't as good as they talked him up to be. I don't know....

But I've been saying since Brick and Mangold started getting old that OL was THE priority, and putting an Oline in place to put a young QB behind was the ideal solution, instead we picked more ******* DTs and Safeties. SOJ. 

• Sympathy 2

Hey I think we also need to stop beating our own team down so much. I think Chris Johnson has done a pretty good job turning over the coaches the GM the way the organization is perceived. He throws money all over the place it's not like he's not trying. Am I wrong? Take a look at the Redskins. How's Jimmy G working out for the 49ers? Still wish we would have givin Kirk Cousins 100 million? How's it working out for Nick Foles? Boy that Tyreek Hill drama was well worth it wasn't it? How would you like to owe all that money to all the superstars on the Cowboys you think that's easy to work out? What has Green Bay had besides Aaron Rodgers and giving him a hundred and something million dollars? How about that AB !? Also the Browns with OBJ!!?? They killed week one?My point is there's about five teams on top in the NFL and everybody else is in the same boat as us...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"I feel bad for Chris Johnson who finally had the balls to burn this place down, "

You feel sorry for him setting up and organizational structure built to fail. (coach and GM reporting to him separately and with the same power).

You feel sorry for him 'finally' burning it down when he should have had the balls to do so a couple years earlier.

You feel sorry for him keeping a fail GM on for one last 'screw the team' draft rather than firing him at the proper time, when you fired the coach.

Chris Johnson is the one calling all the most important shots with this team, he should not be 'felt sorry for' for screwing up so badly and not learning from his mistakes.

I have no idea how this guy is getting so much praise and pats of the back, he's at least as bad as woody.

He set up nothing.  That was in place from Woody.  He's said he would change it.  

On top of that JD and Gase are buddies, the system in p,ace wouldn't be a problem other than from fans who see doom & gloom in every corner.  

Other than trying to work with the GM in place, which he admitted was a mistake you're just continuing to whine.  Because if you don't see a difference with CJ over Woody it's your issue not to others who see things have changed, especially in the operation of the team.  

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He set up nothing.  That was in place from Woody.  He's said he would change it.  

On top of that JD and Gase are buddies, the system in p,ace wouldn't be a problem other than from fans who see doom & gloom in every corner.  

Other than trying to work with the GM in place, which he admitted was a mistake you're just continuing to whine.  Because if you don't see a difference with CJ over Woody it's your issue not to others who see things have changed, especially in the operation of the team.  

I'm sure you have used this same speech with the rex/tanny and moreso the bowles mac regime.

The 'team can do no wrong' crowd is far worse than the doom and gloomers who have been right about almost every single thing to do with this team.

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

In JD I trust.

He did screw up the kicker thing already & it might have cost us the Bills game but I perceive JD to be the kind of guy that after the fact was blaming no one but himself. JD seems like the type of dude that sat in a meeting with Gase & GW and said, sorry guys, I F*CKED that one up! 

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He did screw up the kicker thing already & it might have cost us the Bills game but I perceive JD to be the kind of guy that after the fact was blaming no one but himself. JD seems like the type of dude that sat in a meeting with Gase & GW and said, sorry guys, I F*CKED that one up! 

Agree but changes nothing. 

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Where was the run threat by the QB to keep the defense honest? Ive been fine with Gase so far but if he can't be creative on offense and find a way to counteract what the defense is doing then this great offensive mind is useless!

Sam was lethargic, I think that's why he didn't try to run. It makes sense he has Mono. He really played weak... I felt this way before the dreaded diagnosis.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1