Is there any level of curiosity/excitement about Siemien?

9 hours ago, GeraldSowell33 said:

Watching McCown and Fitzpatrick play out the string the last three years was brutal. I’m happy to have a guy with a little upside this time around. 

It’s rare that a 7th round pick with an undistinguished college career starts as many games as Trevor has at such a young age. 

Am I expecting much? No, but if he plays well he’s going to open some eyes across the league. It’s a tremendous opportunity for him, and I hope he is successful. 

Somewhat yes.  Not just for Siemian but also for how the Jet offense is going to change without Darnold.  It might be a good thing for the team to get a feel for what they are without their QB.  I like that they'll all have to step it up and play tougher.  When Darnold eventually does return, these guys will have a better sense of what they can really contribute should Darnold struggle.  And from Darnold's perspective, he'll have a better feel for who he can trust.  In short, I do think there's a silver lining here.

I wouldn't say I have curiosity or excitement, but I do thinks he's probably one of the better backup QBs in the league.

The thing I like most of all about him is that his style of play is similar to Darnold's, so you can still use all the plays in the playbook.  I never understood when teams have a a backup QB that has a completely different style than the other QB.  Last year in Miami being an example.  Going from Tannehill to Oseweiler in a given week?  They are polar opposites in what their strengths are 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I wouldn't say I have curiosity or excitement, but I do thinks he's probably one of the better backup QBs in the league.

The thing I like most of all about him is that his style of play is similar to Darnold's, so you can still use all the plays in the playbook.  I never understood when teams have a a backup QB that has a completely different style than the other QB.  Last year in Miami being an example.  Going from Tannehill to Oseweiler in a given week?  They are polar opposites in what their strengths are 

This post made me look up his career stats.  I actually didnt know he was 13-11 in his career.  Seems like he'd have a worse record considering everything that happened in Denver.  And he's thrown more TD's than INT's.  30/24.  59% comp.  That's actually not terrible.  Pretty solid for a back up.

If the D can hold the Browns in check and Bell goes off, I no longer think we need to forfeit.

• Upvote 2

Siemian is a good QB when he has time. In fact Ive seen him play very well and make some big time passes - but as soon as he starts getting hit he crumbles quickly. So if we can keep their defense off balance and have a good mixture of run and pass maybe we can keep Siemian clean so he can be effective.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yup.  This is exactly why we have a guy like Siemian on the roster.  If you lose your QB for a few weeks, we have an experienced guy who knows what it takes to win in this league.  A guy who can maybe find a way to steal a game or two.  Its a really tough stretch he gets, depending on how long Darnold is out, but he is a guy who has won in this league before.  Not excited or curious about him, we know what he is, but thats not a bad thing for a back-up.

Now, my buddy who went to Northwestern, he is excited to see what "Touchdown Trevor" can do.  

Trevor will be fine. Not good, not awful (probably) just fine. He's a good backup, even when he was a starter he was a good backup.

He's capable of following an NFL game plan, making rudimentary reads and taking what the defense gives him. He doesn't have Sam's instincts or gunslinging tendencies but he will indeed hold down the fort. This is a good chance for him to keep earning checks in this exact role for years to come, possibly with us.