Angry Giants fans can't leave fast enough.

joewilly12

Angry Giants fans can’t leave fast enough: 'I’m spending my hard-earned money (on) this crap’

Updated 8:27 AM; Posted Sep 15, 7:18 PM
Fans leave MetLife Stadium with 5 minutes to go in the fourth quarter as the New York Giants fall to the Buffalo Bills in NFL Week 2 action on Sunday, September 15, 2019 at MetLife Stadium. The Bills won, 28-14.

Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media 

Fans leave MetLife Stadium with 5 minutes to go in the fourth quarter as the New York Giants fall to the Buffalo Bills in NFL Week 2 action on Sunday, September 15, 2019 at MetLife Stadium. The Bills won, 28-14.

By Brian Fonseca | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

By midway through the third quarter of the Giants’ home opener against the Buffalo Bills, fans were streaming toward the exits. The Giants were down 21-7 with 22 minutes to play, but these fans had seen this movie before.

Still, I wanted to hear what they thought of this latest disaster — an eventual 28-14 loss. So I waited outside to find out.

“Hey, you got a minute to talk?”

“[Bleep] you, buddy.”

There is no truth to the rumor that was John Mara.

The frustration is understandable. At 0-2, with an aging quarterback, a group of receivers who like to stand around and enjoy the best seats in the house (without having to pay those exorbitant PSLs!), a pass rush that seems to count five Mississippis before getting off the ball, defensive backs who couldn’t cover a sofa, and another losing season staring them in the face, Giants fans are ready to spend future NFL Sundays at flea markets.

“The Giants stink!” screamed fans who gave me spin moves we haven’t seen since Michael Strahan.

“Garbage, [bleeping] garbage,” another fan said.

So, now what now?

First, fans want rookie quarterback Daniel Jones to start ... now! Eli Manning, many said, is not the answer at quarterback — not the way he’s been playing.

Manning was abysmal again Sunday, going 26-of-45 passing for 250 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions. Even though the Giants grabbed a 7-0 lead, Manning went the entire first quarter without completing a pass -- in six possessions. That’s all the Manning doubters had to see.

“I think we’re totally in a rebuild mode,” said Matthew Kaczynski, 39, of Old Bridge. “Get Eli out of there. He hasn’t been good since 2012. Get him out of there and put the kid in. If it’s a rebuilding thing, the kid is very young. Put him in there. We love Eli, but it’s time to go."

Will Granson, 41, from Dayton, Ohio, believes Manning has earned the right to start until the Giants are eliminated from the playoffs. Others believe it does not matter who is behind center if the defense is dreadful.

“I’m tired of our Swiss-cheese defense,” Granson said, and he was not alone.

“It’s not fun to watch,” added Tony Diggins, 53, of Brick. “I’ve been a fan since 1976. I remember Jack Gregory and Brian Kelly. Those were defenses. Now they got Cole Beasley beating them. I mean, c’mon! What are they gonna do when DeSean Jackson and Philly come here? They’re gonna torch them.”

The Manning vs. Jones debate came between two friends from Rockland County — Billy Quirk, 22, and Chris McGrath, 18.

McGrath: “Eli didn’t complete a pass in the first quarter. I never saw that in my life."

Quirk: “Daniel Jones doesn’t change our defense, though.”

McGrath: “I think Daniel Jones can put up 28 points. With Saquon …”

Quirk: “Daniel Jones hasn’t played an NFL snap yet.”

Whose fault is this mess?

Some fans blame general manager Dave Gettleman.

Michael Kaczynski, a 39-year-old from Staten Island, said the season was lost on draft day.

“Dave Gettleman has no plan," he said. "He hasn’t had a plan since coming here. His 10-year plan is to prevent it from not falling apart. He has no clue what he’s doing. It’s very evident. That’s why they got rid of him in Carolina. It’s very aggravating. I’m spending my hard-earned money to come to this crap.”

All this griping begs the question: Is it time to tank? Should the Giants aim for a high draft pick in 2020?

“Honest to God, yes, I would be OK with it,” Quirk said. “I would be willing to sacrifice a season or two. I would tank.”

That’s easy to say when you’re a 20-something with decades of fandom ahead. Other fans don’t have as much time.

Take Tony Urbinati. The 69-year-old from Coram, N.Y,. has owned season tickets for 46 years. He has seen the Giants come back from 0-2 to win the Super Bowl. He introduces himself as “Crazy Tony,” but he’s not crazy enough to think this team will win a title.

“In 46 years of being a season ticket holder, I’ve missed maybe 6 games,” Urbinati said. “Yes, I will be back. But do I think, as a fan, they owe the fans a better game? Yes, absolutely. You don’t mind losing when you’re competitive, but when you’re out of it at halftime? C’mon.”

Like Urbinati, Diggins expects to keep coming back.

“I’m a glutton for punishment," he said.

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I have no idea why Giants fans expected the team to be good this year.  Say what you will about Jets fans, but years like 2017 and 2014 we knew we were going to suck, it's not like it was some stunning, unexpected surprise.

Giants are rolling out the same team as last year with less offensive weapons and an even older quarterback in an offensive league.

SAR I

The media LOVES the giants so they are always expected to be at least middle of the pack

Say what you want the jets played the bills a helluva lot tougher week one

Oh and Shurmur is Todd Bowles 2.0

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

This is why drafting Saquon at the start of a rebuild was awfully stupid. By the time the Giants have this figured out Barkley will be in year 4 and demanding a monster contract that teams now realize are not a smart move. 

If the Giants fall completely out of the playoff hunt the Giants would be wise to sit Barkley the last few games of the year. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Icer said:

The Giants should have done what the Ravens did with Flacco. Dump him when it became obvious he didn't have it, instead they kept him on board as the starter for another 4+ years

The Ravens kept Flacco around way too long also. 

The Ravens deserve credit for jumping ship 1 year earlier but that's about it. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This is why drafting Saquon at the start of a rebuild was awfully stupid. By the time the Giants have this figured out Barkley will be in year 4 and demanding a monster contract that teams now realize are not a smart move. 

If the Giants fall completely out of the playoff hunt the Giants would be wise to sit Barkley the last few games of the year. 

They should trade Barkley for a haul, if anyone is willing to give up a haul for a RB.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

so fun to watch this franchise crash and burn and crash and burn...the ultimate undoing will be (hopefully) when Daniel Jones starts playing and REALLY sucks....

Misery loves company.

And we embody misery. 

exactly.  Jones starts, does terrible AND THEN they have to go BACK to Eli?  damn - that would be simply amazing!!!

What does this article have to do with the Jets?  Is the idea that we’re tying to take their anger to “rub it in?”   The Giants have 4 SB titles.  And it’s not like we’re even doing so much better than they are right now.  We could easily start 0-6 or maybe 1-5.

I’m probably in the minority, but I have no ill-will toward the Giants.  Obviously when we play them I want to beat them but, other than that, I view them as a team in the other conference. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

What does this article have to do with the Jets?  Is the idea that we’re tying to take their anger to “rub it in?”   The Giants have 4 SB titles.  And it’s not like we’re even doing so much better than they are right now.  We could easily start 0-6 or maybe 1-5.

I’m probably in the minority, but I have no ill-will toward the Giants.  Obviously when we play them I want to beat them but, other than that, I view them as a team in the other conference. 

Only in the sense that the Giants are getting the same roasting from the media that the Jets have used to get. In fact the Jets really haven't been roasted by the media of late except for firing the GM, but that got turned around when they hired Douglas.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

+1

Agree 100%. There is a chance that the Giants will win as many or more games then the Jets will this season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

This is the “Giants have outclassed the jets for the last 30 years.  Now that they are struggling, lets bash their fans so i feel better” thread.

The Giants really have had one period of consistent success and that was under Parcells. 

With Coughlin they made two miraculous trips to the SB and bottomed out the other years

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If they hit their QB this year, it'll work out.   It helps a young QB to have someone to hand off to.

It didn't hurt the Rams to have Gurley, and then draft Goff