How is it possible the Jets suck every year

Rhg1084

Just now, peebag said:

They dont have to be successful - owning a NFL franchise is like having a license to print money.

Why work harder when you dont have to?

From a financial standpoint buying the Jets was the best business decision Woody Johnson ever made on his own by far

He’s a lousy owner who doesn’t care about winning but meddles and has zero understanding of football but if he ever decides to sell the team he’s making $1.5 billion profit 

• Upvote 2

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I’ve pretty much given up at this point. I’ll give them another 2 games and then I’m doing something else with my Sundays. It is a collosal waste of time thinking this franchise will ever be good. 

I’m not even watching next week.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, peebag said:

They dont have to be successful - owning a NFL franchise is like having a license to print money.

Why work harder when you dont have to?

Jets will appreciate in value about $200,000 PER DAY even if the Johnson’s order Luke Falk to be the starting QB for the next 10 years and no fans ever show up...their TV money never stops coming in, and it’s always increasing.

Nice to win...but they could care less.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Jets will appreciate in value about $200,000 PER DAY even if the Johnson’s order Luke Falk to be the starting QB for the next 10 years and no fans ever show up...their TV money never stops coming in, and it’s always increasing.

Nice to win...but they could care less.

Fair enough. A bit OT but...if they don't fix the refs in the next year or so I do see a decline in ratings. With no viewers you have nothing, not that it would ever get to zero. Lots of legalized gambling now to go with all the illegal gambling that has always been there. A huge part of thier money comes in some way from gambling. If bettors don't think it's on the up and up they'll walk away. The media went right to a 'Get over it' narrative with the Saints. but that was a massive cluster#$@^ on the league's end. Saints fans have every right to carry that around with them and break it out at will. Tonight was a sh*t show on the refs as well. 

• Upvote 4

source.gif

........ gee, I dont know?.. what ever could it be...?

..why oh why would a team suck for 50 years and still make millions..?

BECAUSE YOU LET THEM! THEY DONT NEED TO EFFING WIN ANYTHING!

THE CUBS LOST FOR 100 EFFING YEARS! DID THEY FOLD? NO! Stop shoving money at them while they lose

maybe something changes... I doubt that but at least you keep that 500 bucks for something else

giphy.gif

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Like even the Cleveland cavs won the nba finals, Miami Marlins have won a couple World Series. The Jets are terrible literally every season. Mathematically it doesn’t make sense. They have never been super bowl favorites coming into a season except maybe 99. Just bad every year no matter what. Eventually they have to be good, right?

On the old JI site, I had a sig that said...  "Players come and go, but you can't suck for 50 years and blame the players".  It is ownership. If anyone doubts it at this point, they are part of the problem. These fans that say otherwise enable the problem.  Last nite Gase play calling was very "Bowles like".  Perhaps it is because he knows we have no talent.  Who knows BUT  playing Fitz and McCown and paying Wilk, letting Myers go are all signs of poor long term vision.  

Why would any GM pay McCown 10 mil and pass on Watson and Mahommes.  Those decisions are why we are where we are.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

source.gif

........ gee, I dont know?.. what ever could it be...?

..why oh why would a team suck for 50 years and still make millions..?

BECAUSE YOU LET THEM! THEY DONT NEED TO EFFING WIN ANYTHING!

THE CUBS LOST FOR 100 EFFING YEARS! DID THEY FOLD? NO! Stop shoving money at them while they lose

maybe something changes... I doubt that but at least you keep that 500 bucks for something else

giphy.gif

yep.. my road trip to DC just became a "see my daughter trip" with NO Jets game. I will NOT sit through a game. Im gonna play golf this Sunday while Brady pads his stats.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

This has just been a horrible start but the injuries have just been compounded by some inept personel moves. You can't  lose you're starting and 2nd string QB, both ILB, and make bad decisions by resigning Johnson, bringing in a retired player who can't  play, bring in a K who can't  kick, and not drafting well for years and expect to be good.

I really hope JD is the real deal but so far he hasn't  exactly given me a lot of hope. I mean has he done one thing that anyone feels like he is doing a good job? His latest move is he brought in a WR that isn't  even healthy and most likely in his last season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It's what I've been saying since Woody Johnson declared that the most important thing in the world to him was seeing Mitt Romney win the White House. I knew the guy wasn't too plugged in, but to hear the owner of your team say that out loud proved my point. There is only one common denominator through Parcells, Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles and Gase and all the GM's and asst. coaches. The New York Jets will never win anything as long as the Johnson family owns the team.

• Upvote 2

The Jets paid professionals to make good decisions.  Because they have been bad the last 5 years, they have been drafting high, and have had a lot of cap space.  But those professionals made bad decisions.  

They have squandered their high draft picks on bad players and squanders their cap space on bad contracts for bad players.  So, despite the handicap provided by the NFL to make the Jets better, colossally bad decisions have basically led to zero progress.

And it gets worse.  It will take at least 2 off seasons to make this team competitive.  The best hope is that the Jets are competitive in the last cheap year of Darnold’s rookie contract.

• Upvote 2

Simple.  Bad owners hire bad GM's, who make poor decisions with the roster.

Mike Maccagnan was about to get fired by the Texans before the Johnson's hired him.  

And it took a military coup by our sh*tty HC with a 23-27 career record to finally get rid of that GM.  

The last good drafts this team has had were 2006 and '07.  And that's because every single GM the Johnson's have hired has been absolutely awful.  

• Upvote 3

Don't spend $ on them. Regardless of what other people say, you can still root for the team and not spend $. Would you buy a car that has repeatedly broken down with each model they made for the last decade? Of course not.

Root from away. Dont waste money or emotion on this rotten franchise until they field an actual competitive team.

I give my sons the “Mickey Mantle won’t pay our rent” all the time. No sense emotionally attaching yourself to a team. Root, get excited, curse when they’re losing, but once the games over, don’t stress.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Don't spend $ on them. Regardless of what other people say, you can still root for the team and not spend $. Would you buy a car that has repeatedly broken down with each model they made for the last decade? Of course not.

Root from away. Dont waste money or emotion on this rotten franchise until they field an actual competitive team.

I give my sons the “Mickey Mantle won’t pay our rent” all the time. No sense emotionally attaching yourself to a team. Root, get excited, curse when they’re losing, but once the games over, don’t stress.

THANK YOU

10 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Like even the Cleveland cavs won the nba finals, Miami Marlins have won a couple World Series. The Jets are terrible literally every season. Mathematically it doesn’t make sense. They have never been super bowl favorites coming into a season except maybe 99. Just bad every year no matter what. Eventually they have to be good, right?

It's not bad ownership, but poor hiring choices made by ownership. There's a difference. However, I say that knowing that the HC and the GM are enduring scathing criticism right now, I STILL have confidence in them. The GM and the HC have NOT had the opportunity to put their stamp on the roster. It takes time and we have to be patient and wait that out.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, ItsTheSameOldJets said:

We suck, but at they very least there is excitement every couple years imagine being a Bills, Fins or Browns fan. Misery loves company at the end of the day 

Excitement every couple years?  The Jets haven't made the playoffs in 9 years.  The Dolphins and Bills were in the postseason in 2016 and '17, respectively.  

Because they are owned by a dude who has 80 percent of his wealth tied to the team. He is not the “I want my team to beat your team so I can mock you in Bildeberg” type of billionaire. He is the “how much more profit margin can we make if we switch to Chinese-brand toilet paper in the bathrooms of MetLife” type of billionaire.

Like everything in life, if you do it for money and not because you love it, you’ll never be a champion.