Giants Bench Eli Manning; Daniel Jones to Start -- MERGED

45 minutes ago, ItsTheSameOldJets said:

Eli went out with a whimper 

Macadoo year 1 got the Giants to the playoffs.  His team decides to not take it seriously and party in miami b4 the game. They lose.  Not his fault.

The next year, he sees eli is washed up and is ready to move on so he benches him.  NYC revolts against the man forcing him to play that crap qb and his team cant win a game.

He then gets fired for his team sucking which is a direct result of him being forced to play eli.

Talk about getting the shaft.

23 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Macadoo year 1 got the Giants to the playoffs.  His team decides to not take it seriously and party in miami b4 the game. They lose.  Not his fault.

The next year, he sees eli is washed up and is ready to move on so he benches him.  NYC revolts against the man forcing him to play that crap qb and his team cant win a game.

He then gets fired for his team sucking which is a direct result of him being forced to play eli.

Talk about getting the shaft.

They made the playoffs in 2016 thanks to the D and Beckham.  Even with beckham he led that O to a putrid 17 PPG.

The team has sucked mostly because of Eli, his poor play got 2 HCs fired and a GM.  He's led them to missing the playoffs 8 of 10 years.

He should have been let go 4 years ago, the Giants went above and beyond to bow down to this never great player.  

You are 100% correct on McAdoo

Regardless of who should have....Manning is listed as a 2 time Super Bowl MVP. 

More importantly, he was/is a real stand up guy that always took the high road and represented the Giants in a positive manner.  Even though he can't be happy with the benching he will help Jones as much as possible to succeed.  He really is one of the good guys in all of professional sports.

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I still do not understand why they brought back Eli in the first place. 

I think they were surprised how good Jones looked in the preseason. they probably thought Eli would have to play deep into the season before even considering a switch. 

Just as likely though, the team and Eli looked very bad the first two weeks, and Shurmur and DG were either looking to change the narrative, or were feeling this would call off the dogs...

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I think they were surprised how good Jones looked in the preseason. they probably thought Eli would have to play deep into the season before even considering a switch. 

Just as likely though, the team and Eli looked very bad the first two weeks, and Shurmur and DG were either looking to change the narrative, or were feeling this would call off the dogs...

But, to me, if you are taking a QB at #6 overall, you don't need Eli on the team anymore. They took a cap hit to bring back his inflated salary. 

They could have had a cheaper veteran mentor Jones if they didn't think he was ready to start the season. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But, to me, if you are taking a QB at #6 overall, you don't need Eli on the team anymore. They took a cap hit to bring back his inflated salary. 

They could have had a cheaper veteran mentor Jones if they didn't think he was ready to start the season. 

Yeah I get what you're saying, and I agree with you. I was just throwing out ideas.

The Giants, Mara especially, seem to have a lot of respect for Eli. Maybe they just didn't want to embarrass him by cutting him, I don't know. Personally I think they should've moved on when McAdoo wanted to.

• Upvote 1