Giants Bench Eli Manning; Daniel Jones to Start -- MERGED

On 9/17/2019 at 11:15 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

This kid is real good.  Him and barkley in the backfield for the next 10 years is scary.

They will take a big time reciever at the top of the draft next year and have their own triplets.

Gettleman is killing this rebuild.  Great job!!!

Yeah he’s like 0 and 0 in the regular season as a starter so far. Impressive. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2019 at 11:15 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

This kid is real good.  Him and barkley in the backfield for the next 10 years is scary.

They will take a big time reciever at the top of the draft next year and have their own triplets.

Gettleman is killing this rebuild.  Great job!!!

Too bad the giants defense still stinks and so does their Todd Bowlesesque head coach

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I think they were surprised how good Jones looked in the preseason. they probably thought Eli would have to play deep into the season before even considering a switch. 

Just as likely though, the team and Eli looked very bad the first two weeks, and Shurmur and DG were either looking to change the narrative, or were feeling this would call off the dogs...

I think Gettleman is on record as saying (shortly after Jones was drafted) that he hoped that Jones would not take an in-season snap this season. Wanted to take an Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes-type approach to developing Jones. But Eli gonna Eli so the move had to be made.

I took Jones in my dynasty rookie draft this off-season after Murray and Haskins went really early. For personal reasons, I hope Jones succeeds, so I can move on from Cam Newton who is clearly on a sharp decline. But I think he's going to find that an NFL defence is a different proposition to playing against backups and third stringers like he did in pre-season.

The problem for Jones is that, outside of Barkley, he's throwing to a bunch of JAGs and over-the-hill players. His wide receivers are Sterling Shepard, Cody Latimer and Bennie Fowler, with Evan Engram (who promised a lot but so far hasn't delivered) as his starting TE. Not exactly a star-studded lineup.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

I think Gettleman is on record as saying (shortly after Jones was drafted) that he hoped that Jones would not take an in-season snap this season. Wanted to take an Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes-type approach to developing Jones. But Eli gonna Eli so the move had to be made.

I took Jones in my dynasty rookie draft this off-season after Murray and Haskins went really early. For personal reasons, I hope Jones succeeds, so I can move on from Cam Newton who is clearly on a sharp decline. But I think he's going to find that an NFL defence is a different proposition to playing against backups and third stringers like he did in pre-season.

The problem for Jones is that, outside of Barkley, he's throwing to a bunch of JAGs and over-the-hill players. His wide receivers are Sterling Shepard, Cody Latimer and Bennie Fowler, with Evan Engram (who promised a lot but so far hasn't delivered) as his starting TE. Not exactly a star-studded lineup.

Yeah, I agree, it's not going to be easy. It rarely is for these young QBs their first year. When they're picked that high, they're usually going to pretty bad teams without a lot of talent around them (we saw that here with Darnold). As you said the game is a lot faster for them their first season. That's why I feel it isn't until the second year when you know what you have with these kids. That's when good ones show you that they were worth the pick. 

Sure there are exceptions, but the smart play is to not go overboard either way on a rookie QB. Let him settle in before you start predicting 4000 yard, 40 TD seasons and multiple Super Bowls, LOL.