"We're in the World of Suck Right Now."

slats

A pretty fair assessment. 

Jets tackle: “We’re in the world of suck right now”

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 17, 2019, 9:30 AM EDT

gettyimages-1168274939-e1568726971733.jp
Getty Images

For generations, football coaches have conditioned players to speak in meaningless cliches, to offer little in the way of insight, and less in the way of art.

Kelvin Beachum has resisted that urge. Despite spending eight years in a league that hates clarity and beauty of language, the Jets offensive tackle is nothing less than a poet.

“It’s frustrating, but this is the NFL,” Beachum said after last night’s loss to the Browns, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “We’re in the world of suck right now.”

The Jets have been sailing toward that mythical land for years, like Odysseus on a long quest for home.

Last night’s loss, without their starting quarterback because of mononucleosis and his backup getting injured early, leaving them in the hands of someone named Luke Falk, might have gotten them closer to the shore than they’ve been in some time.

And we should all be grateful we have a wordsmith like Beachum to document the journey for us all.

Share this:

• Upvote 2

Nothing is going to be good when you're on your third string QB in the first quarter of the second game of the season. 

0-2 at home

0-2 in the AFC

0-1 in the division (with 0-2 on tap) 

The second half of the schedule looks, on paper, decidedly easier than the first, but they have a lot to fix if they're going to take advantage of it. 

6 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Playing with a 3rd string QB for 1/4 of the season will give Gase cover that he won't deserve from the team's failures.  This team is truly cursed. 

I'm encouraged that Trumaine Johnson and Ryan Kalil were benched. Been a long time since we had a head coach willing to bench a big contract. Johnson was easy as a Mac pick, it's Kalil that really sends the message. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I thought they looked pretty cool.

They're horrendous. The green is barely discernible from the black. There's no history to black on the Jets uniforms unless you enjoyed the Coslet/Kotite years. 

And, as an added bonus, teams wearing black draw more flags than teams that don't! As if the Jets needed the help...

"In an earlier study, researchers at Cornell University also found a similar pattern of increased fouls among NFL teams that wore darker colors. The researchers conducted an experiment where they had high school and college students run two versions of identical football plays, wearing white uniforms in one version and black uniforms in the second version. Referees who later watched the identical version of the plays called fouls more often when the players wore black." 

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151383136/power-dis-play-teams-in-black-draw-more-penalties

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Nothing is going to be good when you're on your third string QB in the first quarter of the second game of the season. 

0-2 at home

0-2 in the AFC

The second half of the schedule looks, on paper, decidedly easier than the first, but they have a lot to fix if they're going to take advantage of it. 

By the time they're 0-9, 1-8, etc., the locker room will be lost.

we're looking at an all-time bad season for the Jets.

Doesn't matter what the back end of the schedule looks like. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, slats said:

A pretty fair assessment. 

Jets tackle: “We’re in the world of suck right now”

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 17, 2019, 9:30 AM EDT

gettyimages-1168274939-e1568726971733.jp
Getty Images

For generations, football coaches have conditioned players to speak in meaningless cliches, to offer little in the way of insight, and less in the way of art.

Kelvin Beachum has resisted that urge. Despite spending eight years in a league that hates clarity and beauty of language, the Jets offensive tackle is nothing less than a poet.

“It’s frustrating, but this is the NFL,” Beachum said after last night’s loss to the Browns, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “We’re in the world of suck right now.”

The Jets have been sailing toward that mythical land for years, like Odysseus on a long quest for home.

Last night’s loss, without their starting quarterback because of mononucleosis and his backup getting injured early, leaving them in the hands of someone named Luke Falk, might have gotten them closer to the shore than they’ve been in some time.

And we should all be grateful we have a wordsmith like Beachum to document the journey for us all.

Share this:

this article had truth to it. It has even affected Jetsnation in that the fans are so frustrated with losing that they are getting almost EDGY with each other. Everybody needs to step back and realize it's never as bad as it may seem. Wait until the stinging of this loss dies off then come back to the table much more level headed. This is the same time we say about a certain political party. They always want to make policy decisions fresh off a tragedy occurring. That's not wise. Step back and reflect on what happened. Take time to calm yourself down and then come back. That's when good choices are made.

47 minutes ago, slats said:

Also, those black uniforms are hideous. I was almost hoping the Browns would roll up the score so the Jets would put those putrid things in mothballs forever. 

I give 2 sh!ts about uniforms and my choice would be the 80’s Kelly greens

but my wife’s one comment about the game last night, was “I love these uniforms”

45 minutes ago, slats said:

0-2 at home

0-2 in the AFC

So we can get 6 wins???  I'd rather go 2-14, trade our 1st pick for more picks and build.  But we have shown we'd fukk that up too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

So we can get 6 wins???  I'd rather go 2-14, trade our 1st pick for more picks and build.  But we have shown we'd fukk that up too.

IMHO, Darnold coming back, playing well, and the Jets winning games in the second half of the season would be far better for the long term goals of the team than just getting a higher draft pick. 

Love to see Joe Douglas make some moves this year to get the Jets a couple extra picks next year, though. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I give 2 sh!ts about uniforms and my choice would be the 80’s Kelly greens

but my wife’s one comment about the game last night, was “I love these uniforms”

Your wife married you. That's all I need to know about her taste in anything. :D 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

IMHO, Darnold coming back, playing well, and the Jets winning games in the second half of the season would be far better for the long term goals of the team than just getting a higher draft pick. 

Love to see Joe Douglas make some moves this year to get the Jets a couple extra picks next year, though. 

That's fair and I would buy in as well...   BUT without any seconds, we are so fukked.