Congrats to the Jets and Dolphins

Mastenpark

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I'd take the points... 22.5 is stupid... but I don't gamble so who knows... 

Yeah I hate to think the Jets would get waxed like that. Crazy what injuries can cause in just 2 weeks. I hate the Jets but in truth not that bad. 

I really looking forward to the Bills and Jets battling for the AFC EAST in the future.

5 minutes ago, Mastenpark said:

Yeah I hate to think the Jets would get waxed like that. Crazy what injuries can cause in just 2 weeks. I hate the Jets but in truth not that bad. 

I really looking forward to the Bills and Jets battling for the AFC EAST in the future.

Pats and Dolphins are right there.... Stidham will be great in BB offense and Tua is going to be fun to watch... 

6 minutes ago, Mastenpark said:

yeah me too in the year 2500

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I'd take the points... 22.5 is stupid... but I don't gamble so who knows... 

Well they did just lose at home to the Browns by 20 points. This game is at Gillette and The Pats are better in every area of football than the Browns right now...  (Yes IMO AB,Gordon, Edelman is better than OBJ, Landry)

The only saving grace is the Jets USUALLY play the Pats tough. 

• Upvote 1

105-12. That's the combined score of the last three Jets/Pats games in Foxboro.

I think for me to take the Jets and the points they'd have to be getting 35+. After watching last nights game I simply cannot imagine a scenario where this isn't a complete bloodbath. The Pats are better on both sides of the ball than the Browns and this game is in Foxboro. This is going to be an embarrassing drubbing, expecting anything less is a mistake.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

Pats win this thing by 30 at least 

I see the Jets D playing well keeping it close for the first half but the time of possession gets to them and like you said Pats win big.  I say:

42- 6 but i could see a shut out as well.. Bell cant beat the Pats D by himself. 

• Upvote 2

The trolls are out in force. I know what’s coming and it’s going to be more funny to watch now.

Im just curious how bad we actually are? - I’m going to measure them against the worst teams, I’ve had the displeasure to watch, since I started watching in 1982.

Sunday has the potential to be so bad, I can see Max locking the whole forum.

I wouldn't play either line, but if forced to bet, I would 100% lay the points in the Jets game. You have to. As I wrote in the other thread, I would need a minimum of 35 points to consider taking the Jets. Even then, I would just lay off. 

As for the Dolphins, they almost have to accidentally play a close game at some point and I don't think the Cowboys have a great offense. I'd lay off that game as well, but if you forced me to pick, I'd probably take the points. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Because of the fear of injuries, you think?

Yep, it will be because of the domino effect of that.  Suburban parents are already having their kids avoid football.  The talent pool will start to shrink significantly over the next several decades.  The next nail in the coffin will be when public high schools start banning the sport due to deaths/paralysis on the field.  

It'll basically go the way of boxing.  Maybe it'll still exist in some form, but not at the level it has been the last 3 decades.  The three biggest sports in this country used to be Baseball, Boxing and Horse Racing.  2 of those are no longer anywhere close to that level of popularity that they were.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, it will be because of the domino effect of that.  Suburban parents are already having their kids avoid football.  The talent pool will start to shrink significantly over the next several decades.  The next nail in the coffin will be when public high schools start banning the sport due to deaths/paralysis on the field.  

It'll basically go the way of boxing.  Maybe it'll still exist in some form, but not at the level it has been the last 3 decades.  The three biggest sports in this country used to be Baseball, Boxing and Horse Racing.  2 of those are no longer anywhere close to that level of popularity that they were.  

It might sound crazy, but with fantasy being what it is, I think there will eventually be a market for 2 hand touch

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Suburban parents have always been hesitant to let their kids play. The NFL pipeline isnt coming from leafy NYC suburbs and never has. The game has never been more popular in the south.

This game is going to be so bad many Pats STHs will give their tickets away or sell them to friends. It's not going to be a competitive game which in reality for Pats fans after the last 18 years they call boring. 

Up 30 points at halftime, the only thing you think about as a Pat fan is please god don't let Brady get hurt, lol. Raking your yard listening to that sh*t they had on halftime lastnight  would be more pleasurable. 

Pats fans are spoiled, they LIKE competitive games, Miami? meh, Jets, meh, they're looking forward to the Browns, Ravens, Eagles & Cowboys games. Gonna be a lot of Pats fans doing yard work in New England about 2:15 PM up by over 30 points. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

105-12. That's the combined score of the last three Jets/Pats games in Foxboro.

I think for me to take the Jets and the points they'd have to be getting 35+. After watching last nights game I simply cannot imagine a scenario where this isn't a complete bloodbath. The Pats are better on both sides of the ball than the Browns and this game is in Foxboro. This is going to be an embarrassing drubbing, expecting anything less is a mistake.

What if we learn something from the Browns and start to rush the passer before the snap in an attempt to get a better chance to ‘accidentally’ injure Brady 

32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Suburban parents have always been hesitant to let their kids play. The NFL pipeline isnt coming from leafy NYC suburbs and never has. The game has never been more popular in the south.

I get that, but the NFL's Chief Medical Officer admitted himself that if 10 % of parents start refusing to let their kids play the sport, the tent folds up.  Do you not think it will be a problem down the road that basically ALL of the NFL's talent pool comes from poor urban and rural communities?

And like I said, it might not be up to the parents anyways if public High Schools start banning the sport.  We're already seeing strong arguments that the game shouldn't be played at all prior to High School.  In 2015 alone there were 13 deaths due to football-related injuries at the High School level.  How long before the risk outweighs the benefit?  Remove a big chunk of the High School pipeline and the game dies a slow death.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get that, but the NFL's Chief Medical Officer admitted himself that if 10 % of parents start refusing to let their kids play the sport, the tent folds up.  Do you not think it will be a problem down the road that basically ALL of the NFL's talent pool comes from poor urban and rural communities?

And like I said, it might not be up to the parents anyways if public High Schools start banning the sport.  We're already seeing strong arguments that the game shouldn't be played at all prior to High School.  Remove a big chunk of the High School pipeline and the game dies a slow death.

I agree with you but I think it will survive because of the gambling , I work with a lot of young adults and the next generation isn’t like us , they don’t live and die over wins and losses , they have zero allegiance to a team ..they follow individual players , and gamble ( the gambling epidemic is right up there with the opioid crisis and it doesn’t get talked about imo but I would never get political here ) ...none of these guys care who wins and losses these games for any other reason than who they  bet or who’s on the FF team . When we ( I can speak def for me ) were In our late teens early 20’s I would pace around my house not being able to sleep after a tough Jets loss..simply because of playoff implications or whatever ...the next generation doesn’t care , it’s all gambling and it’s picking up speed not slowing down ....that’s how I see it anyway .

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It might sound crazy, but with fantasy being what it is, I think there will eventually be a market for 2 hand touch

Hard to say.  I think a big reason that football is so popular for a lot of people is BECAUSE it is so violent.  Just like the Gladiator era, humans have a strange fascination with watching "warriors" battle it out while sitting safely on our couches.  Change the game to 2-hand touch and you lose a large % of fans overnight.  

It might work though.  Either way something has to give.  The game itself has to fundamentally change or disappear entirely IF people actually care about protecting those who play it.  Athletes are bigger, faster and stronger than ever, and there's nothing you can do to prevent brain trauma until you can put a helmet inside a person's skull, nor can you prevent spinal injuries.  Two giant, fast men crashing into each other always takes it's toll.  And the more we learn about the brain and what football does to it, the worse the news gets.  The sub-concussive blows to the head on routine plays are really what cause CTE, yet a lot of people think its the big hits.  Both are incredibly dangerous for different reasons.  

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I had a fish fan saying the same thing to me last week before they played the Pats. 3rd string QB on a short week. Plenty of injuries. Yeah, we are in a trouble. 

Jets Defense is Better than Miami and the Steelers but I agree this isn't going to be pretty... I think the X-factor is Mosley here... If he is in I think the Jets lose by less then 23.5 or whatever they are at now... 

4 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I agree with you but I think it will survive because of the gambling , I work with a lot of young adults and the next generation isn’t like us , they don’t live and die over wins and losses , they have zero allegiance to a team ..they follow individual players , and gamble ( the gambling epidemic is right up there with the opioid crisis and it doesn’t get talked about imo but I would never get political here ) ...none of these guys care who wins and losses these games for any other reason than who they  bet or who’s on the FF team . When we ( I can speak def for me ) were In our late teens early 20’s I would pace around my house not being able to sleep after a tough Jets loss..simply because of playoff implications or whatever ...the next generation doesn’t care , it’s all gambling and it’s picking up speed not slowing down ....that’s how I see it anyway .

The volatility of the sport may also turn off gamblers over time.  It's hard to predict when star players will turn in their cleats because the game just isn't worth it anymore.  Think gamblers who put money on the Colts to win their division or the Super Bowl were pleased when Andrew Luck suddenly retired?

Boxing and Horse Racing were the 2 biggest sports for gamblers once too.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The volatility of the sport may also turn off gamblers over time.  It's hard to predict when star players will turn in their cleats because the game just isn't worth it anymore.  Think gamblers who put money on the Colts to win their division or the Super Bowl were pleased when Andrew Luck suddenly retired?

Boxing and Horse Racing were the 2 biggest sports for gamblers once too.  

True , and one of the reasons they lost popularity is the due to the excessive gambling the public didn’t trust that those 2 sports were on the up and up anymore , which I could see happening to the NFL also . Perception is reality after all. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So in this future you see, what are Americas top three sports then?