Congrats to the Jets and Dolphins

Mastenpark

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, it will be because of the domino effect of that.  Suburban parents are already having their kids avoid football.  The talent pool will start to shrink significantly over the next several decades.  The next nail in the coffin will be when public high schools start banning the sport due to deaths/paralysis on the field.  

It'll basically go the way of boxing.  Maybe it'll still exist in some form, but not at the level it has been the last 3 decades.  The three biggest sports in this country used to be Baseball, Boxing and Horse Racing.  2 of those are no longer anywhere close to that level of popularity that they were.  

how many suburban kids are playing in the NFL today?

15 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I don't have the demographics on that handy, lol.

Suffice it to say the downfall starts there.  All it takes is an outcry from parents to ban football in public HS's, which gets enacted at state levels.  End of NFL.  

19 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Some interesting notes from an article this year:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/02/football-white-flight-racial-divide/581623/

• In the 2017–18 school year, 6.6 percent fewer high-school athletes participated in 11-player tackle football than in the 2008–09 school year
  • This trend has become particularly visible as majority-white towns such as Ridgefield, New Jersey, and Healdsburg, California, have dropped their varsity-football programs due to a lack of interest.
  • Even if kids wait until they’re in high school to play tackle football, though, they’ll need something else to do in the meantime. And that’s where Sam Taggard’s kids have an advantage over Shantavia Jackson’s. Throughout the country, affluent school districts offer more extracurricular activities than poorer districts, and upper-income parents can pay for more activities outside of school. 
  • Just 37 percent of white respondents told researchers that they would encourage kids to play the sport, while 57 percent of black respondents said they would
  • College recruiting can happen as early as middle school, which means kids can feel pressure to start playing sooner to hone their skills. If parents in Colquitt County were to prevent their kids from playing until they’re 14, their kids’ athleticism and knowledge of the game would be far behind that of boys who have been playing for years.
  • Some lawmakers want the government to get involved by prohibiting kids from tackling in football before high school, or by banning youth tackle football entirely.

44 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Just found this.  Per a 2016 poll, nearly half of NFL players considered themselves to be Upper-Middle or Middle Class growing up:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/15/nfl-team-survey-player-upbringings-race-class-2016-election

income.jpg&w=800&q=85

Granted, only 51 players took the poll, but that's still a big %.  And that's the exact segment of the population that is quitting football in droves.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JimJaime said:

Well they did just lose at home to the Browns by 20 points. This game is at Gillette and The Pats are better in every area of football than the Browns right now...  (Yes IMO AB,Gordon, Edelman is better than OBJ, Landry)

The only saving grace is the Jets USUALLY play the Pats tough. 

Yesterday was ugly....next week...think of every horror movie you’ve ever seen and put them all together.... that’s what it will be like.

I don't have the demographics on that handy, lol.

Suffice it to say the downfall starts there.  All it takes is an outcry from parents to ban football in public HS's, which gets enacted at state levels.  End of NFL.  

fantasy and gambling will keep it propped up for a while.  but i am not so sure about our grandkids.

• Sympathy 1

Just found this.  Per a 2016 poll, nearly half of NFL players considered themselves to be Upper-Middle or Middle Class growing up:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/15/nfl-team-survey-player-upbringings-race-class-2016-election

income.jpg&w=800&q=85

Granted, only 51 players took the poll, but that's still a big %.  And that's the exact segment of the population that is quitting football in droves.

interesting.  the details show the linemen mostly were the ones raised in middle and upper middle class.

5 hours ago, Mastenpark said:

Yeah I hate to think the Jets would get waxed like that. Crazy what injuries can cause in just 2 weeks. I hate the Jets but in truth not that bad. 

I really looking forward to the Bills and Jets battling for the AFC EAST in the future.

Future meaning as long as it takes their current ownership to sell or die

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The volatility of the sport may also turn off gamblers over time.  It's hard to predict when star players will turn in their cleats because the game just isn't worth it anymore.  Think gamblers who put money on the Colts to win their division or the Super Bowl were pleased when Andrew Luck suddenly retired?

Boxing and Horse Racing were the 2 biggest sports for gamblers once too.  

This is actually a very good point, I'm glad I read this post before I responded to your prior one.

I was going to tell you that the NFL game is so big, and that the growing popularity of FF and legalized gambling would keep the game alive. I was going to add that by doing things like going to bigger and bigger GUARANTEED contracts, there would always be men willing to play no matter the risk. 

The boxing and horse racing analogy is a good one though. I'm sure 60-70 years ago people alive back then would've never imagined those sports being where they are now as far as popularity. I think you've won me over to your way of thinking on this...

• Sympathy 1

105-12. That's the combined score of the last three Jets/Pats games in Foxboro.
I think for me to take the Jets and the points they'd have to be getting 35+. After watching last nights game I simply cannot imagine a scenario where this isn't a complete bloodbath. The Pats are better on both sides of the ball than the Browns and this game is in Foxboro. This is going to be an embarrassing drubbing, expecting anything less is a mistake.

The jets are winning this game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I'd take the points... 22.5 is stupid... but I don't gamble so who knows... 

Against the pats? Who roll out 3 wr sets of brown, edelman & gordon, like to run up the score, hate the Jets, and Ari Bill belichick-coached team against Luke Falk making his first NFL start?

Lay the points

19 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

The jets are winning this game.

If there's one guy here I usually agree with, (half the time we're posting the same exact thing, LOL) it's you.

Not this time though, my friend.

I thought we'd win last night, (you did too, right?) but beating New England? Nah...

If there's one guy here I usually agree with, (half the time we're posting the same exact thing, LOL) it's you.
Not this time though, my friend.
I thought we'd win last night, (you did too, right?) but beating New England? Nah...

lol.

Hey. I’m trying to get some positivity into the ether. I’m not done rooting for the team and there’s no reason to root if I don’t think there’s a chance.

The pats will come in and think they are going to roll over us. We played hard against Cleveland and if not for the terrible OL play in the first half, we still could have won with a few breaks. It wasn’t the blow out it looks like. We come out and play hard and Falk looks good, we can win the game.

Mark my words. We won’t be 0-6 after the brutal stretch

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol.

Hey. I’m trying to get some positivity into the ether. I’m not done rooting for the team and there’s no reason to root if I don’t think there’s a chance.

The pats will come in and think they are going to roll over us. We played hard against Cleveland and if not for the terrible OL play in the first half, we still could have won with a few breaks. It wasn’t the blow out it looks like. We come out and play hard and Falk looks good, we can win the game.

Mark my words. We won’t be 0-6 after the brutal stretch

Yeah, I was actually happy with the defense. They pressured Mayfield, and he never looked comfortable back there.

The offense was abysmal, but as bad as they were, there was that sequence in the 4th where we could've cut the lead to six. We don't convert on 4th down, Odell breaks an 89 yard TD, and then we were done.

If GW can keep the D playing as well as they did the first two games, and Mosely and QW come back this week, we at least have something to hang our hats on... 

• Sympathy 1

Yeah, I was actually happy with the defense. They pressured Mayfield, and he never looked comfortable back there.

The offense was abysmal, but as bad as they were, there was that sequence in the 4th where we could've cut the lead to six. We don't convert on 4th down, Odell breaks an 89 yard TD, and then we were done.

If GW can keep the D playing as well as they did the first two games, and Mosely and QW come back this week, we at least have something to hang our hats on... 

Right. The narrative that Odell had a dominant performance is simply not accurate. Numbers are numbers and he blew the game wide open but that is not indicative of the way the D played. It sucks because the D played hard and well overall.

We get that 4th and 2 and who knows how the game goes?

It really falls on the OL. It’s all about them. If they can give Falk, or darnold for that matter, a few seconds for the play to develop, everything is different. I am hopeful. They are getting better albeit slightly. If Beachum wasn’t absolutely dominated by Garret, the OL was doing a a little better job than week 1. Garret just owned Beachum.

I’m not even that bent about gase’s game plan. People don’t know what they are watching imo. He’s planning to deal with the deficiencies of the OL. Quick 3 step drops etc. the problem is that the D is in the face of the QB before he can set his feet. Could you imagine a 7 step drop? The DE would be there waiting for him. lol

Anyhoo, we will progress and we will play hard. That’s one thing I think has been seen so far. If that’s the case, then we can win.

And win we shall.

Just watch how the theme flips from doom and gloom to division titles if we win. lol. This place is nuts

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. The narrative that Odell had a dominant performance is simply not accurate. Numbers are numbers and he blew the game wide open but that is not indicative of the way the D played. It sucks because the D played hard and well overall.

It really falls on the OL. It’s all about them. If they can give Falk, or darnold for that matter, a few seconds for the play to develop, everything is different. I am hopeful. They are getting better albeit slightly. If Beachum wasn’t absolutely dominated by Garret, the OL was doing a a little better job than week 1. Garret just owned Beachum.

I’m not even that bent about gase’s game plan. People don’t know what they are watching imo. He’s planning to deal with the deficiencies of the OL. Quick 3 step drops etc. the problem is that the D is in the face of the QB before he can set his feet. Could you imagine a 7 step drop? The DE would be there waiting for him. lol

Anyhoo, we will progress and we will play hard. That’s one thing I think has been seen so far. If that’s the case, then we can win.

And win we shall.

Just watch how the theme flips from doom and gloom to division titles if we win. lol. This place is nuts

Amen. I'm losing patience with things here though.

Its gotten to the point here where I've stopped commenting in the Game threads. Those, and most of the post game reaction threads are not even readable.

• Sympathy 1

Amen. I'm losing patience with things here though.
Its gotten to the point here where I've stopped commenting in the Game threads. Those, and most of the post game reaction threads are not even readable.

I agree. It’s always been kind of on the emotional side of things which is fine. But this season it’s almost unreadable which is sad. I love the game threads.

I honestly feel like there is a lot of trolling going on. Maybe it’s the Russians. I don’t know

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I remember a Thanksgiving Day game back in the mid-70's that the Cowboys beat the Jets 52-0, I see one of those type of slaughters

I remember being at a miserable game at Shea in the 70s while the Cowboys were destroying us in the freezing cold, with a stadium full of cowboy fans....   frozen snow and ice was abundant....We always sucked..

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

And win we shall.

I agree with everything you wrote, except for us winning in NE, lol

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

income.jpg&w=800&q=85

I live in the South, just like you. I watch the local news, and high school football is a major part of the sports news, both on tv and in the newspaper(yeah I'm the guy still reading a newspaper) LOL

Anyway, I go up to Long Island every summer for a few weeks, and this year when I got off the exit to my town, the first thing I saw was a banner on a chain link fence announcing sign ups for non tackle youth football,up to age 17. I'd never seen or heard of that program before. This is a town that is football crazy. We had two state championships in the 70s, many County and Long Island titles. They are always a power in Nassau County, and have had a few players play in the NFL, many in D1.

The Pop Warner program was the feeder system to the high school. Next trip up, I have to check into how popular it still is...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I live in the South, just like you. I watch the local news, and high school football is a major part of the sports news, both on tv and in the newspaper(yeah I'm the guy still reading a newspaper)...

Anyway, I go up to Long Island every summer for a few weeks, and this year when I got off the exit to my town, the first thing I saw was a banner on a chain link fence announcing sign ups for non tackle youth football,up to age 17. I'd never seen or heard of that program before. This is a town that is football crazy. We had two state championships in the 70s, always a power in Nassau County, and have had a few players play in the NFL, many in D1.

The Pop Warner program was the feeder system to the high school. Next trip up, I have to check into how popular it still is...

Very interesting.  It's probably not all that popular.  But it IS the way things are headed, whether we like it or not.  Laws always lag behind the science, but eventually, the laws indeed will play a major role in re-shaping football as we know it.