Sam Darnold will be on with Michale Kay today to talk about his mono diagnosis for the first time.

Jetsbb

I'm hopeful this is a good sign, you'd like to think the kid has to be feeling much better to agree to meet with the media. Love Sam but his media sessions aren't exactly the most riveting, so more just happy he's well enough to do that rather than excited to hear what he has to say.

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

If I’m him, I’d skip the media.

This is one of the most ridiculous reasons I’ve every heard to be injured. 

He can only garner ridicule from any media interview.

Eh, not really. 

He's a positive guy and he probably has no clue how he actually got Mono. Sure, he could have gotten it making out with someone, but he also could have gotten it from eating out and having someone spit in his food (happens all the time). 

It's just a freak thing that happens every once in a blue moon, and of course it happened to our QB at the beginning of what was supposed to be his breakout season, because Jets. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, not really. 

He's a positive guy and he probably has no clue how he actually got Mono. Sure, he could have gotten it making out with someone, but he also could have gotten it from eating out and having someone spit in his food (happens all the time). 

It's just a freak thing that happens every once in a blue moon, and of course it happened to our QB at the beginning of what was supposed to be his breakout season, because Jets. 

I’ve never heard of an NFL QB or major sports player ever miss time by contracting mono ever.

It’s almost butt fumble embarrassing.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 3

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

I’ve never heard of an NFL QB or major sports player ever miss time by contracting mono ever.

It’s almost butt fumble embarrassing.

Chris Chandler contracted it late in the 1995 season. He got it in late November and missed the rest of the season. 

Now you have!

https://sports.yahoo.com/sam-darnold-mono-other-nfl-players-quarterback-chris-chandler-mononucleosis-001951801.html

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

This is really big. The less time he misses the better. 

Feel like he'll go on a tear when he returns. Was on fire through the end of last year to camp and preseason until he got sick.

I'm not sure his supporting cast is good enough to go on a tear (In fact, I really doubt that they are), but I am confident he will play well. 

Did you guys watch what happened to Trevor Siemien last night? Hellooooo? Earth to JI Posters? You seriously want your franchise QB to come back and stand behind that ridiculous OL and possibly get killed? Granted we have no offensive ingenuity so there will be no roll outs or the like to try and avoid pressure so he would in essence be a sitting duck. Darnold Duck LOL (oh that was f***ng bad). I do not want to see #14 play again until we get a competent OL in front of him. It serves no purpose for him to come back at 0 and whatever and get beat up and possibly beat Miami once. The Eagles, Cowboys and Jags all have lethal pass rushes.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, ASH1962 said:

Did you guys watch what happened to Trevor Siemien last night? Hellooooo? Earth to JI Posters? You seriously want your franchise QB to come back and stand behind that ridiculous OL and possibly get killed? Granted we have no offensive ingenuity so there will be no roll outs or the like to try and avoid pressure so he would in essence be a sitting duck. Darnold Duck LOL (oh that was f***ng bad). I do not want to see #14 play again until we get a competent OL in front of him. It serves no purpose for him to come back at 0 and whatever and get beat up and possibly beat Miami once. The Eagles, Cowboys and Jags all have lethal pass rushes.

I hear you, but Darnold is not a sitting duck. He moves a lot and has good pocket presence. He almost always makes the first pass rusher miss. 

Also, we can't play scared. We have to develop this guy. If he's the right guy, he will survive and eventually flourish. If not, we are screwed anyway. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I'm not sure his supporting cast is good enough to go on a tear (In fact, I really doubt that they are), but I am confident he will play well. 

Yeah that might be a concern, but his late season tear was with an even worse supporting cast. 

He seems to be a better player at times when he has to do it all. 

• Upvote 1

I understand the need to protect your franchise QB, but the sooner Darnold comes back, the better.  If he truly is a franchise QB (which I think he is), he should be able to overcome his roster (with his play and with proper gameplanning), elevate the play of everyone around him, and be productive.  That is what this year needs to determine, above all else.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

JI???  Lol ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Cool.  Is that what he said in the interview?  Any other details for those of us who didn’t hear it?  Thx.

Said 2 pounds, hopes to be back by Philly. 

Incredibly frustrating, was fighting with his Dad as to who was more frustrated watching the game. 

Everything you’d expect him to say. A team guy. 

• Upvote 2

Actual Doctors: "Yeah dude, so your spleen could literally explode in your body and you could die. You're not playing for a long time."

Darnold: "You sure? This honestly doesn't feel that bad."

Actual Doctors: "Yeah we're very sure. Medicine has been studying mono for a long time so we know a lot about it. You're done for now."

JN Doctors: "Nah bro, if he can muster up the strength to talk on the radio, he will be back much sooner than expected."

Actual Doctors: "What do you do for a living, exactly?"

JN Doctors: "I export generic lawn gnomes to China. In my spare time I work on my model train set in the garage."

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2