Edoga, Harrison & Lewis need to start this Week

FlightBoyz

4 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Its pretty clear changes on the OL need to be made. The current group has been atrocious. Time to plug in some new guys & see what they have to offer. The Jets have nothing else to lose. 

RT Edoga RG Osemele C Harrison LG Winters LT Lewis

giphy.gif.9401b1f43891eb6e0e0178cafdee7aea.gif

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Its pretty clear changes on the OL need to be made. The current group has been atrocious. Time to plug in some new guys & see what they have to offer. The Jets have nothing else to lose. 

LT Lewis LG Winters C Harrison RG Osemele RT Edoga

No reason to bench Shell he's not the issue. Start Edoga at LT over Beachum, replace Kalil with Harrison and we're okay.

• Upvote 1

Rotate every qualified OL into the starting lineup and during the games every week until something works.  Even though continuity is extremely important for the OL, desperate times call for desperate measures.  They have to figure out their best 5 before Darnold comes back or they are going to get him killed.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TNJet said:

No reason to bench Shell he's not the issue. Start Edoga at LT over Beachum, replace Kalil with Harrison and we're okay.

I heard 68 Beachem's number called multiple times for costly penalties at such bad times and he had the worst game in the world holding Garret back. I would definite;ly replace him with Chuma. We can then see if Chuma may have what it takes to be a LT. Shell can handle RT still for now. We should have never signed Kalil back out of retirement since Harrison has been good. People just get too cute and you should not replace centers unless you are obtaining a top 5 or 10 center in the league. They don't grow on trees. 

• Upvote 1

With respect to at least Beachum and Winters, and maybe Osemele, I don't know why people thought these guys would be better this year.  They are only getting older.  Generally, players improve the first few years, then plateau, and then decline.  I think Winters' improvement phases was over.

But it also seems to be that the way these players are being coached and schemed is also off. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

With respect to at least Beachum and Winters, and maybe Osemele, I don't know why people thought these guys would be better this year.  They are only getting older.  Generally, players improve the first few years, then plateau, and then decline.  I think Winters' improvement phases was over.

But it also seems to be that the way these players are being coached and schemed is also off. 

Beachum, Winters, and Osemele are only 30, 28, and 30, respectively. 

I have always thought Beachum and Winters were meh players. Thus far, I am very disappointed in Osemele. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not necessarily looking to bench him, but Shell looked pretty sh*tty to me.  He wasn't going against Garrett and he was probably getting more help than Beachum. 

Garret destroyed Beachum all night. Not Shell. Shell and Osemele are our best linemen.

4 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Who is Lewis? ?

2 hours ago, Icer said:

The coaching staff seems to actually have some balls and bench under performers, some hopefully we will see some changes soon.

Before you know it, the coaching staff will only put out 6-7 players on offense and defense. F it. Grab the select few and have them play both ways. Ole time football ? 

there's some logic to starting different players in place of beachum, kalil and winters.  the problem is those guys will be missing another chance to work together.  this could set them back further but the team is going into the break so it should be possible to pick the best 5 out of the group for the philly game.

4 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

What is the logic in flipping Osemele and Winters?

While I completely agree in removing winters (years of showing the league that he is an ineffective player) and Kahil (there is no cohesion and he is the center) its not just the players.

The pats let Brown walk in FA, lost their center, and just lost Wynn this past week - and yet nothing changed.  They sub in players and keep Brady protected because he gets them in the right protections and McDaniels calls a smart offense.  

Gase has been downright AWFUL in protection our QB and the lineman themselves. If you want to leave Tunsil alone against Garret then fine - take your chances, but you dont do it with Kelvin Beachem.  You keep a TE in to help, very simple.  Give the Cleveland front at least another body to have to run around.  

Until this offense is able to at least make LBs worry about the pass once in a while and work as an actual unit, we aren't going to see an improvement regardless of Trent Williams is here or not.

• Upvote 1

Garrett dominated Beachum last night.  Garret will be a handful for most every tackle in the league.  The difference is other coaches or offensive coordinators would have put a TE on that side of the line to double team or at least chip Garrett.  Maybe have a running back chip him.  How about Montgomery and Leveon in backfield at same time and some screens to Garretts side to keep him honest so he's not just pinning his ears back.  It's easy to jump on Beachum for a horrible game which it was but if I was Beachum I'd be boiling that zero effin help was thrown my way.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, New York Mick said:

There was at least 10 plays that no one blocked him at all. He walked into the backfield untouched. Why didn’t they bring a blocking TE in to shadow him. What was the point of drafting Wesco? 

Agree. I said that too...where's the help?

14 hours ago, TNJet said:

Garret destroyed Beachum all night. Not Shell. Shell and Osemele are our best linemen.

I don't like Shell and I think he looked like sh*t.  On at least one of Garrett's sacks, Shell was getting walked back to the QB's face, he stood there frozen and Garrett got him from the back.  Shell is a free agent this offseason.  They should be replacing him as much as any of these guys. 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't like Shell and I think he looked like sh*t.  On at least one of Garrett's sacks, Shell was getting walked back to the QB's face, he stood there frozen and Garrett got him from the back.  Shell is a free agent this offseason.  They should be replacing him as much as any of these guys. 

i agree, his upside is low, he's at best a low end starter.  i doubt the jets will use edoga vs the pats, but hopefully they're getting him ready to play soon.

13 hours ago, BCJet said:

While I completely agree in removing winters (years of showing the league that he is an ineffective player) and Kahil (there is no cohesion and he is the center) its not just the players.

The pats let Brown walk in FA, lost their center, and just lost Wynn this past week - and yet nothing changed.  They sub in players and keep Brady protected because he gets them in the right protections and McDaniels calls a smart offense.  

Gase has been downright AWFUL in protection our QB and the lineman themselves. If you want to leave Tunsil alone against Garret then fine - take your chances, but you dont do it with Kelvin Beachem.  You keep a TE in to help, very simple.  Give the Cleveland front at least another body to have to run around.  

Until this offense is able to at least make LBs worry about the pass once in a while and work as an actual unit, we aren't going to see an improvement regardless of Trent Williams is here or not.

This.  The amount of times that pass rusher or run defenders went completely and utterly untouched, has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with play calling and coaching.  Adam Gase has failed in every single step of the way, at putting this offense in a position to succeed. 

17 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Gase just said no major changes coming on the o-line.  It’s Bowles-like how he’s giving these guys a free pass, especially Kalil.

It's been 2 games. What makes you think the other guys wouldn't be worse? 

And as for Bowles, remember when all you geniuses were crying for Hack to start because you wanted to see if he was legit and Bowles kept him on the bench? Yeah, turns out Bowles already knew Hack sucked and that was why he didn't get into games. 

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i agree, his upside is low, he's at best a low end starter.  i doubt the jets will use edoga vs the pats, but hopefully they're getting him ready to play soon.

FWIW, PFF seems to agree with the people that think Shell is fine.  I don't. 

Of the starters, the only 2 under contract for 2020 are Osemele at $12M and Winters at $7M.  We probably should be looking at 5 new starters.  That is insane, so they will keep some of these stiffs.  Edoga and Harrison are the only other 2 guys that are even under contract.  Yikes.