Has Adam Gase Does a Good Job with the 2019 Jets Offense in Games 1 and 2?

Warfish

Has Adam Gase Does a Good Job with the 2019 Jets Offense in Games 1 and 2?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Has Adam Gase Does a Good Job with the 2019 Jets Offense?

• Yes, he has done good job because....
    • No, he has not done a good job because....

Simple question (yes/no) with room to explain your vote.
Has Adam Gase done a good job as coach of the 2019 Jets Offense so far, or no, and regardless of how you vote.....why do you feel that way?

EDIT:  Added "in games 1 and 2" to more clearly set the parameters of what is being evaluated.
This isn't about Gase's future, his career, or anything other than the limited, specific coaching, gameplan, adjustments, schemes and management of the available players in games 1 and 2. 
His future cannot yet be evaluated.  His performance in the two completed games can be evaluated.  Hopefully that clears up any confusion (or faux confusion).

Yep. Now is right about the time for a thorough assessment of the offense. Good stuff warfish ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

No worries, I should have been more clear (now sorted via edit to poll question and OP).

It's a question because it's all we have to evaluate so far.  A Coach can coach well in a very difficult situation and still lose.....but have done a great job with what he had.  It's fair to ask, has Gase done well as a Coach with what he had, or no?

Still a dumb poll. 

/shrug

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Simple question (yes/no) with room to explain your vote.

Has Adam Gase done a good job as coach of the 2019 Jets Offense so far, or no, and regardless of how you vote.....why do you feel that way?

EDIT:  Added "in games 1 and 2" to more clearly set the parameters of what is being evaluated.

This isn't about Gase's future, his career, or anything other than the limited, specific coaching, gameplan, adjustments, schemes and management of the available players in games 1 and 2. 

His future cannot yet be evaluated.  His performance in the two completed games can be evaluated.  Hopefully that clears up any confusion (or faux confusion).

I voted yes just because it seemed like a silly question. 

In week 1.  Yes.

The Jets were up 16-0.  It would have been 20 if not for Vedvik.   Darnold was protected for the most part against a vicious pass rush.  Lots of attempts to get the ball out quick to Crowder with the idea for YAC... give Buffalo some credit because they didn't allow much.  Sure, more points would have been nice off the turnovers but the Jets didnt commit any and there were opportunites for big plays missed.  Personally,  I thought the turning point in the game was on the defensive side for two reasons.  One was obvious; Mosely injury.  And the second reason should have been obvious and I posted as much in the game thread.   That the Bills were going to switch to Devin Singletary at some point.  Gregg Williams didn't seem to have the defense ready for him at all.

As for week 2?  No. 

But it isnt the disaster some are making it out to be.  Siemian was terrible.  Now, I saw him play enough for Denver to know he is better than that... but the Jets beat writers said he was lousy in camp.  Multiple times.  So the Jets had a bad O-line, in front of a bad QB, facing a quality pass rush coming off an embarrassment the week before.  What did anyone expect?  The biggest criticism was not giving help to Beachum.  Understandable.  But there were also stunts coming up the middle untouched.  Nothing worked.  Scheme or talent?  I dont know.

But as others have pointed out, Adam Gase and Gregg Williams are going to put underperforming players on the bench.

Jets fans need some Le'Veon Bell patience to allow this to sort out.  We will know where this offense is headed in the final 8 games... not the first 6.

Ok given he’s had Sam out, an all the other wonderful things go totally wrong.

Its still No, he’s done a bad job, did he ever try to go Max protect? - did the line even try and pick up free runners, No! 

He made no adjustments and was out coached. Any game where your D gives you four turnovers, a pick six ,and safety and you lose a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter is galactically bad coaching. It may yet define Gases tenure in New York..

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I give him a grade of "incomplete." (unfortunately, that isn't an option in the poll.)

Not enough body of work, without many of his important components.  I go back to 1999, Bill Parcells was in a similar situation and the Jets started 1-6 but ended 8-8.

In fairness, 1999 was a better Jets team but without a QB, still even he started 1-6 when dealt a difficult blow.

It’s amazing how many just abjectly refuse to evaluate the two games so far on their own merit. No one is getting fired yet nor anytime soon and there is no need for “more time” or incomplete grades to evaluate how he did as a coach in these two specific games. It’s pretty obvious any reply for more time or incomplete is really a No vote anyway. I’m sure if he hung 30+ points on O. both weeks there wouldn’t be such hesitation....

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I’m sure if he hung 30+ points on O. both weeks there wouldn’t be such hesitation....

Absolutely not! Why? Because we all knew going in, the OL and WRs are weak groups. The starting TE is probably their best receiver, he's suspended four games. If Gase was getting 30 points out of these guys, he should be fitted for a gold jacket. The only hope with this offense was that Darnold was going to raise his game, and thus the entire team's, in his second year. Instead, Sam was probably effected by mono week one, and Gase found himself on his third-string QB in the first half of the second game of the season. Hard to judge the coaching when the talent is this poor - unless, as you said, he had that poor talent operating like a race car. 

Moves like sitting Kalil make me happy. I want to see more of that. The Jets need an extra blocker. Where's Wesco? I'm really disappointed that they haven't been able to work him into the lineup. He should be the perfect sixth blocker/safety valve. Gase doesn't want to use Bell as a pass protector on a regular basis, which is understandable, but clearly he needs to do something there.

Jets have three WRs on their practice squad. They obviously understand that's a position of weakness. I'd like to see one (or more) of those kids get a chance if the guys on the field continue to fail to produce. 

Can't give Gase a simple yes/no, up/down, black/white vote. There are definitely things he needs to improve, but it's not like he has a lot with which to work. We'll learn more when Darnold comes back healthy, and even more still after Douglas/Gase work an off season together. 

17 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I would have to give him an incomplete. 

I will go with this do to mono and back up QBs. Truth is if we had a kicker Game one or if C.J. Mosley doesn’t go down game one then we very likely may be 1-1. Yet, if game one was less about Sam being sick and more about the type of offense Gase is going to use? Then I change my vote to hell no !!!!  

Plus line sucks. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Absolutely not! Why? Because we all knew going in, the OL and WRs are weak groups. The starting TE is probably their best receiver, he's suspended four games. If Gase was getting 30 points out of these guys, he should be fitted for a gold jacket. The only hope with this offense was that Darnold was going to raise his game, and thus the entire team's, in his second year. Instead, Sam was probably effected by mono week one, and Gase found himself on his third-string QB in the first half of the second game of the season. Hard to judge the coaching when the talent is this poor - unless, as you said, he had that poor talent operating like a race car. 

Moves like sitting Kalil make me happy. I want to see more of that. The Jets need an extra blocker. Where's Wesco? I'm really disappointed that they haven't been able to work him into the lineup. He should be the perfect sixth blocker/safety valve. Gase doesn't want to use Bell as a pass protector on a regular basis, which is understandable, but clearly he needs to do something there.

Jets have three WRs on their practice squad. They obviously understand that's a position of weakness. I'd like to see one (or more) of those kids get a chance if the guys on the field continue to fail to produce. 

Can't give Gase a simple yes/no, up/down, black/white vote. There are definitely things he needs to improve, but it's not like he has a lot with which to work. We'll learn more when Darnold comes back healthy, and even more still after Douglas/Gase work an off season together. 

Not “probably” affected, 100% was affected. He said it himself on the Kay show. Night sweats, couldn’t sleep the night before, felt weak, diagnosed 3 days later. 

This isn’t an excuse, the guy played with mono. Any attempt to judge him based on that game is illogical.

He looked like a different guy in preseason (I get it, vanilla defenses etc) but the guy last week was not the same player. 

55 minutes ago, slats said:

Moves like sitting Kalil make me happy. I want to see more of that.[/quote]

Agreed. Got to say I was also very happy to see T.J. benched as well.  Accountability (or at least faux accountability) is a good start.

The Jets need an extra blocker. Where's Wesco? I'm really disappointed that they haven't been able to work him into the lineup. He should be the perfect sixth blocker/safety valve.

Surprised neither he nor Egoda (Edoga?) have seen any action, as bad as our blocking has been.  I do question if part of the issue is scheme tho, these gusy were bad last year, but they looked like they knew what their assignments were.  They don't currently.

Gase doesn't want to use Bell as a pass protector on a regular basis, which is understandable, but clearly he needs to do something there.

Fullbacks.  We don't really have one, do we?

That Bellamy drop was just horrid.  You're a guy like him, you just can't have that drop.

Can't give Gase a simple yes/no, up/down, black/white vote.

I disagree.  Given the circumstances, you can evaluate how he did with what he had.  No one is asking he be evaluated as if nothing was missing and eveyone was available.  This isn;t a hypothetical question, it's a real world, how did he do in games that are done questions.

There are definitely things he needs to improve, but it's not like he has a lot with which to work. We'll learn more when Darnold comes back healthy, and even more still after Douglas/Gase work an off season together. 

So using this logic, if Darnold were out all year, would you believe there could NO evaluation of any kind of Gase till 2020?

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

The judgement on his coaching/management for games 1 and 2.  Not his career.  Those two games are done. 

You can't get an incomplete on something that is, in fact, complete.

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

Actually it's posted in the OP.

"Has Adam Gase done a good job as coach of the 2019 Jets Offense so far,...."

Ok - But what kind of question is this?

Yes, Gase has done a good job with the offense because we scored one offensive touchdown in two weeks, and every little bit counts!

Just now, TeddEY said:

Ok - But what kind of question is this?

F' sake, I think some of you are being consciously and knowingly obtuse at this point.

I guess we can make the usual suspects happy and just not try to evaluate anything Gase does till 2022. 

Maybe then we can talk about how he's doing.....you know, once he has weaponz.

I voted no because the OL looked completely unprepared in both games.  That is really the primary reason.  Signing Kalil was JD, but playing him was Gase.  Gase should not have played him.  Harrison looked better last year.  

I think Gase gets this year to show he can develop Darnold and the offense.   We know the personnel is terrible, but we should be able to see good coaching of bad players.  We have not seen that thus far.    The Jets should cut bait with Gase after this year if he does not show at least an OL that at least makes contact with pass rushers.  

My prediction is that the Jets look overall much better in their last 8 games and do the typical end of season performance flip.  Darnold, the OL and the offense will look much better in November and December.   Gase will keep him job, but CJ/JD should make him hire a real OC.   2020 will show continued progress but also highlight Gase’s faults, and the Jets will have a new coaching staff in 2021 that makes the playoffs.  

The first two weeks with Gase has left me with no confidence in his abilities as a head coach. I know it's a small sample size, but I've seen nothing from him to feel he's going to get us some close wins with his play calling. To lose your first two home games in the fashion he did is downright embarrassing. This is what we've been waiting for all year? It's a sh*t show of epic proportions. If it continues like this the rest of the season then Adam Gase needs to go after one season like Steve Wilks did in Arizona.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

F' sake, I think some of you are being consciously and knowingly obtuse at this point.

I guess we can make the usual suspects happy and just not try to evaluate anything Gase does till 2022. 

Look I get what you are trying to do. You want people to evaluate just the two games that have been played without caveats. However, if you are looking at that objectively context is important. For instance it would be like me running you put as batter in baseball for two games but I blindfold you. You'll suck and who knows maybe when take the blindfold of you'll suck for the next 14 games. But maybe you'll be awesome. It's hard to assess your skill because of the context of the situation. 

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So using this logic, if Darnold were out all year, would you believe there could NO evaluation of any kind of Gase till 2020?

No, I think he would've had time to adjust, and we'd have a large enough sample size at that point to make an evaluation. Way too much turmoil in such a short period right now, IMHO, to make any real kind of evaluation. 

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We should evaluate him minute by minute next game.

Set up 60 polls and we can all vote on those massive sample sizes.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

No, I think he would've had time to adjust, and we'd have a large enough sample size at that point to make an evaluation. Way too much turmoil in such a short period right now, IMHO, to make any real kind of evaluation. 

So I'm still having trouble with this line of reasoning, as it implies you cannot evaluate a Coach (or anyone) based on how they did in a single game.

Again, to repeat, not looking for or making a long-term evaluation.  But are you of the view that no one can ever be evaluated for the job they did in a single game?

Lets use a different example, if Sam Darnold goes 2 for 32 for 6 yards, with 4 INT's in a game, would your reply be "we cannot evaluate this single game, we can only wait and evaluate over the course of a year or three?"

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

No, because < 10 points per game is not good 

Browns offense was not better but OBJ made two incredible plays 

At this point I would be ok if they put 10 blockers in front of Bell and go old school or find a way to get him in space before he gets killed

Lol, the old Power I might not be the worst idea in the history of football, all things considered, LOL!

Bell behind two Fullbacks, with Two Blocking TE's.  Couldn't be any worse, could it?

• Upvote 2