Game Observations (CLE)

KRL

The defense hustled their azzes off! The Browns seemed to always have good field position. Hairston looks like a keeper. Cashman looks like a player, Basham looked good Hewitt but Leonard Williams was invisible. 

I said before that this could be a very good LB group when everyone's healthy & Avery & Copeland are back. They can rotate these boys & bring the heat for 60. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Leo is done as being referred to anywhere near the great/elite status. There are no excuses left for that guy but bench him? Not sure there is anyone better sitting on the bench.

Falk scrambled a little bit, even if it didn’t end up as a big play so I would give him a little more credit than you are. He’s not “mobile” but he isn’t exactly a statue either. 

I agree with the rest though. Too often did Garrett come unblocked. Leo might even get a sack if that were the case. 

I’d also add that we have zero special teams. Berrios is the new Kerley and if Cannon doesn’t get to fair catch it he ends up around the 15. I’d aim to kick it inside the five and have him return it every time if I were playing us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Falk is a 3rd stringer - so it's hard to criticize the guy. One thing I'd work on with him this week is trying to get rid of the ball quicker. He likes to burp the baby - stands there in the pocket patting the ball. I know it's a lot to process and things are moving quickly but you gotta get rid of it quicker or you're going to die.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Drums said:

Leo is done as being referred to anywhere near the great/elite status. There are no excuses left for that guy but bench him?

Its taken about 3 years for most to see what only a few of us knew.

No more double team excuses.  Thank goodness thats over with.

Id love to see an old williams thread and laugh at how most talked about him.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its taken about 3 years for most to see what only a few of us knew.

No more double team excuses.  Thank goodness thats over with.

Id love to see an old williams thread and laugh at how most talked about him.

People swore he was getting double teamed every play.

Guy's a scrub, flat out.

Nobody knows what their watching. Leo is getting double teamed, and chipped by a third guy on many of these plays. Watch the O-lineman. Who are they looking for. Get real. I hope Leo and adams do get traded. Maybe their new teams fans will know what their looking at.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, KRL said:

Special Teams

- With how much Lachlan Edwards had to punt he deserved two game checks.
When your punter had more punts (seven) than five of your receivers had
catches you know you're in trouble

- Sam Ficken displayed decent leg strength on his kickoffs and kept the
team from getting shutout with a 46 yard FG.  Far superior than what the
other three kickers showed, he can stay for another week

Defense

- There were five players who were active and productive last night:
  * Neville Hewitt
  * Blake Cashman
  * Tarell Basham
  * Nate Hairston
  * Brian Poole

- Surprised Trumaine Johnson was benched but glad to see it.  If someone
isn't getting the job done they shouldn't play and Johnson hasn't done 
"jack" in two years

- Another player who hasn't done "jack" in five years is Leonard Williams.
When is he going to get benched or traded???  He needs to watch tape of
Myles Garrett last night, that's how you dominate a game.  CLE OLine wasn't
good, Baker Mayfield was running for his life on multiple occassions.  How
about Williams live up to his "draft status" and take over the game?  At
this point he's been a massive disappointment

Offense

- There was no offense and most of it falls on the OLine.  Kelvin Beachum was
abused by Garrett, Brian Winters was clueless too often and Ryan Kalil is
lacking.  I brought this point up during camp, the front office/coaching staff
shouldn't have started Kalil until he surpassed Jonotthan Harrison.  And at this
point Kalil isn't better than what Harrison showed.  Sam Darnold's movement skills
"hides" the weakness of the OLine but with two immobile backups they are exposed

- In addition the TE blocking (Ryan Griffin & Daniel Brown) was also shabby

- LeVeon Bell showed glimpses of his massive talent but with poor run blocking and
a loaded box he's taking way too much punishment

- Luke Falk did a decent job (20/25 for 198 yards) on short notice.  He's accurate
with a below average arm but has none of the movement skills of Darnold.  So Falk
isn't a good mix with this OLine, since his days at Wash. St. he hangs in the pocket
too long (hoping receivers shake free).  How does Adam Gase mesh this QB and OLine
into a functional offense?

- Awful drop by Josh Bellamy right before the half which gave CLE an extra 3 points.
Jets were at their own 12 with 53 seconds left, Falk hit Bellamy right in the hands
on a slant for 20+ yards.  He dropped it, the clock stopped and ultimately CLE
got the ball back a hit a FG to increase the lead to 16-3.  With Quincy Enunwa gone
and Demaryius Thomas gimpy Bellamy has to be better than that      

Adams was also benched late in the game, to protect his All Pro Mouth.

Look up reports on Luke Falk's Pro Day, they unanimously reported Luke showed a much stronger arm than believed

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Nobody knows what their watching. Leo is getting double teamed, and chipped by a third guy on many of these plays. Watch the O-lineman. Who are they looking for. Get real. I hope Leo and adams do get traded. Maybe their new teams fans will know what their looking at.

Is Leo elite?

6 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Adams was also benched late in the game, to protect his All Pro Mouth.

Look up reports on Luke Falk's Pro Day, they unanimously reported Luke showed a much stronger arm than believed

Agreed.  His arm strength didn't look like any worse than Siemian.  Bigger problem was the lack of reps and holding on to the ball too long.  Here is an old draft profile which sounds close to what we saw last night.

Luke Falk   QB   Washington St

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS
Luke has decent size and athletic talent to play his position. He shows a good strong arm with excellent velocity and has solid arm talent to be successful at the next level. Luke has a lot of reps in shot gun and a ton of stats and plays in an offensive system that requires football intelligence beyond the average college offensive system. He reminds me a lot of former Bills back up QB Frank Reich. He shows the athleticism to extend plays but is truly the type of quarterback that when he throws in rhythm can pick you a part with excellent accuracy. Luke has the respect of his teammates and shows solid leadership skills through his play on the field. He deals well with adversity and deals well with success and those attributes are so very important for any quarterback that has the talent to play on Sundays. Although Luke has played mostly in the shot gun in college I don’t see a problem with him being successful when playing under center because Luke is a pure pocket passer.

CONCERNS
Luke struggles with his instincts in the pocket, holding on to the ball too long and not moving around to gain better advantage. Luke also struggles once he is moved off his mark and lacks the quick feet when blitzed to adjust his throwing mechanics quickly enough and this affects his accuracy. On designed roll outs this is not a problem but the surprise blitz gives Luke a lot of problems with his throwing mechanics. In his defense, when he is blitz and is given the time to reset his feet he does a very good job delivering the ball and making plays in the passing game.

BOTTOM LINE
The truth is I don’t believe Luke belongs in a pure, every down spread offense. The fact that he has been successful in that offensive system is impressive but it puts too much pressure on him passing and Luke at the next level needs a good strong play action running game to be effective in a 16 game schedule. Luke is a very hard worker and will give you everything he has in every game. I don’t believe for a minute that Luke will ever stop trying to improve and this says a lot to me when evaluating and profiling players for the next level. Luke’s weaknesses can at times overpower his strengths causing him to be inconsistent unless he is matched up with a coach who is an excellent play caller and an offensive system that will protect him and allow him to throw in rhythm. If Luke can improve his ability to throw with accuracy when he is moved off his spot in the pocket then he can be as good as any other quarterback in the NFL. He has the football intelligence to improve and that might be the most important and best attribute Luke has to bring to the team that selects him. I like him as a development quarterback who in the right system and with a good play calling coach can become a starting and impact quarterback in the NFL. Luke will always be ready mentally to go into any game and play and this makes him an excellent candidate for a backup role. The problem is he is also the type of player who needs to practice and get reps with the first string players because he is such a rhythm throwing quarterback and that makes it difficult to throw him into a game in an injury situation and expect him to produce.

Drew Boylhart   DEC.2017

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

He's alright

Well. We can agree to disagree. Last night Williams worked his ass off. Despite being double and sometimes triple teamed, he collapsed the pocket, forcing mayfield out of it. He's doing his job. occupying blockers, so others can make plays. if we had an good to elite edge rusher, Mayfield would have been on his ass multiple times.

I’m sure it’s been brought up, but it’s one thing if Garrett abuses beachum. That’s a talent mismatch. It’s another thing when for two straight weeks we have free pass rushers running untouched to the qb with as much alarming frequency as there has been.

That’s a pre snap protection breakdown and it’s a coaching failure to not correct that or bench the guy ******* up protections until he’s ready. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I’m sure it’s been brought up, but it’s one thing if Garrett abuses beachum. That’s a talent mismatch. It’s another thing when for two straight weeks we have free pass rushers running untouched to the qb with as much alarming frequency as there has been.

That’s a pre snap protection breakdown and it’s a coaching failure to not correct that or bench the guy ******* up protections until he’s ready. 

Is it rocket science to think that maybe harrison should be at Center, and Kalil should bench Winters. That could work.

These claims that Leonard Williams should be benched is a bunch of nonsense. If you're going to bench him, you are saying that you think someone else on the Jets roster is BETTER. Well, wth is that? You understand this sport is all about the BEST players playing? So WHO is better?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, genot said:

Well. We can agree to disagree. Last night Williams worked his ass off. Despite being double and sometimes triple teamed, he collapsed the pocket, forcing mayfield out of it. He's doing his job. occupying blockers, so others can make plays. if we had an good to elite edge rusher, Mayfield would have been on his ass multiple times.

at least we know Williams's mom user name now.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Garrett did not abuse Beachum, he obliterated Beachum. I was waiting to see if the coaching staff would put a tight end on the left side, just to chip or help out. This isn't the worst O-line in the league (at least not yet) so I'm gonna wait until they have a few more starts together as a unit, provided that nobody else is lost for multiple games before I can really evaluate them as a unit.  Having said that, if I were Joe Douglas I'd be on the phone with the Redskins and I wouldn't hangup until I did a deal for Trent Williams!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, genot said:

No. He's very good , though. If we had anybody else that an offense had to game plan for, Leo wouldn't be getting as much attention. Even Reggie White had Jerome Brown and Clyde Simmons.

He’s not good, the double team BS has to stop. He makes no impact plays. Klecko got doubled every play, he’d still got in the backfield. 

J.J Watt

Aaron Donald

Myles Garret 

Plus many others all beat doubles all day every day.

This guy makes zero impact plays, and takes plays off. He supposed to be Merlin Olsen, plays like the Olsen twins.

Based on what your saying all Star defenders can be neutralised by a simple double team.

Also teams don’t game plan for Leonard Williams, the guy has 17.0 Sacks in five years!! 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s not good, the double team BS has to stop. He makes no impact plays. Klecko got doubled every play, he’d still got in the backfield. 

J.J Watt

Aaron Donald

Myles Garret 

Plus many others all beat doubles all day every day.

This guy makes zero impact plays, and takes plays off. He supposed to be Merlin Olsen, plays like the Olsen twins.

Based on what your saying all Star defenders can be neutralised by a simple double team.

Also teams don’t game plan for Leonard Williams, the guy has 17.0 Sacks in five years!! 

Klecko had Gastineau. Who  does Williams have. Watt had Clowney and Mercilus. Garrett has some very good players around him that can't be ignored. there is nobody on the Jet's front seven other than Williams, that can't be controlled by a single blocker. Until that changes. Williams will do all the the thankless dirty work, in hopes that someone else can be freed up to make some impact plays. Maybe QW, can change that. Of course, he had too get hurt, 1st game of the season, so who knows/

• Thumb Down 3

Williams has kept his nose clean and has represented himself well as a 
pro.  There's no reason not to like him as a person BUT his scouting
report coming out of the draft screams that he's been a disappointment:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/leonard-williams?id=2552486

OVERVIEW

In 2014, Williams was selected as USC's Most Valuable Player and Defensive Lineman of the Year. Also was first-team All-Pac-12 selection. He was a finalist for the Hendricks Award and a semifinalist for the Lombardi Award, Bednarik Award and Lott IMPACT Trophy. He was one of five captains selected by teammates prior to the 2014 season. He had 80 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks, one interception and forced three fumbles during 2014 season. Williams sat out 2014 spring practice while recovering from a 2013 shoulder injury. In 2013, Williams was the starter at defensive end and he was named USC's Defensive Lineman of the Year, despite being bothered during the year with a shoulder injury. In 2012, Williams played in all 13 games, starting nine at defensive tackle and was named Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the Year. Some of his artwork was displayed at the 2013 and 2014 "Artletics" on-campus exhibits that featured the works of USC student-athletes. As a senior in high school, his honors included Super Prep All-American and Prep Star All-American.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Supremely gifted interior lineman with length, athleticism and elite power. Lined up just about everywhere along the line at one point or another. Able to jolt offensive linemen with powerful hands and is extremely hard to redirect for offensive linemen once he gets going downhill. Explosive hip snap to leverage blockers and is rarely moved from his gap. Often a read-and-react two-gapper and plays peek-a-boo with running backs while discarding blockers at will when he's ready to tackle. Too much play strength for zone blockers to cross-face him. Fires out with low pad level when playing the run and is difficult to submarine on short yardage. Has feet and brute force to recover and get back into a play after being beaten early. Dangerous pass rusher from twist game, showing big closing burst. Effort rusher who will eventually get home if single-blocked. Beginning to develop spin move as pass-rush counter. Showed intriguing potential as a pass-rushing end in space. Frame able to hold more weight and muscle.

WEAKNESSES

Is a little late out of his stance off the snap. Must learn to consistently fire hands out as weapons. Slow to transition from run stopper to pass rusher when teams throw on first down. Pad level rises and legs straighten out as pass rusher. Base will narrow, slowing momentum and limiting full potential of his bull rush. Hasn't learned to set up offensive linemen or string together pass-rush moves yet. Doesn't always play to capacity and pursuit is lacking when play heads away from him. Still very raw. Wins with physical tools over skill.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top three)

SOURCES TELL US

"You can't over-think this one. It doesn't matter how raw he is because he's got freakish qualities that are rare for men his size. I think he has a chance to be as good as Kevin Williams. That's his comp." -- NFC Director of Scouting

NFL COMPARISON

Kevin Williams

BOTTOM LINE

Enormously powerful defensive lineman. Has the look and feel of the biggest, strongest kid on the playground but hasn't figured out how to unlock his natural gifts and consistently dominate the rest of the kids on the playground just yet. Williams can play in an odd or even front, and is able to hold the point as a two-gapper or disrupt upfield. With coaching and more experience, Williams should be able to match the athleticism with the power and become a consistent Pro Bowler with a ceiling that goes even higher than that.
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Klecko had Gastineau. Who  does Williams have. Watt had Clowney and Mercilus. Garrett has some very good players around him that can't be ignored. there is nobody on the Jet's front seven other than Williams, that can't be controlled by a single blocker. Until that changes. Williams will do all the the thankless dirty work, in hopes that someone else can be freed up to make some impact plays. Maybe QW, can change that. Of course, he had too get hurt, 1st game of the season, so who knows/

Last year Henry Anderson was double teamed more and had more sacks than Leo.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, genot said:

Impact players make plays, they often take games over. The Jets had Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson when he first played for us. Mo has 44.5 sacks, he’s a FA and he’s 29. Leonard had plenty of other strong DT/DE over his five years.

His tackles have gone down every year from year 2 onwards the drop off is alarming.

Why you shill for this guy I have no idea? Telling me he’s good is just gas lighting at this point. If He’s so good why is he going to free agency in 2020? - That tells me all I need to know..

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS

NYJ

NYJ

NYJ

NYJ

NYJ

Career

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

this is the best player in the draft at #6?  200.gif

Without QW, looks like i'm gonna owe you a $100. I was banking on QW having a big impact, freeing up Leo to make some splash plays. And vica versa. Leo freeing up QW too make some splash plays.