JetNation

Leonard Williams Not Living Up To Expectations

IMG_3579.jpg

KRL Game Observations – Jets \ Browns: Monday Night Football

Special Teams

– With how much Lachlan Edwards had to punt he deserved two game checks. When your punter had more punts (seven) than five of your receivers had catches you know you’re in trouble.

– Sam Ficken displayed decent leg strength on his kickoffs and kept the team from getting shutout with a 46 yard FG.  Far superior than what the other three kickers showed, he can stay for another week.

Defense

– There were five players who were active and productive last night:
  * Neville Hewitt
  * Blake Cashman
  * Tarell Basham
  * Nate Hairston
  * Brian Poole

– Surprised Trumaine Johnson was benched but glad to see it.  If someone isn’t getting the job done they shouldn’t play and Johnson hasn’t done “jack” in two years.

– Another player who hasn’t done “jack” in five years is Leonard Williams. When is he going to get benched or traded?  He needs to watch tape of Myles Garrett last night, that’s how you dominate a game.  CLE OLine wasn’t good, Baker Mayfield was running for his life on multiple occassions.  How about Williams live up to his “draft status” and take over the game?  At this point he’s been a massive disappointment.

Offense

– There was no offense and most of it falls on the OLine.  Kelvin Beachum was abused by Garrett, Brian Winters was clueless too often and Ryan Kalil is lacking.  I brought this point up during camp, the front office/coaching staff shouldn’t have started Kalil until he surpassed Jonotthan Harrison.  And at this point Kalil isn’t better than what Harrison showed.  Sam Darnold’s movement skills “hides” the weakness of the OLine but with two immobile backups they are exposed.

– In addition the TE blocking (Ryan Griffin & Daniel Brown) was also shabby.

– LeVeon Bell showed glimpses of his massive talent but with poor run blocking and a loaded box he’s taking way too much punishment.

– Luke Falk did a decent job (20/25 for 198 yards) on short notice.  He’s accurate with a below average arm but has none of the movement skills of Darnold.  So Falk isn’t a good mix with this OLine, since his days at Wash. St. he hangs in the pocket too long (hoping receivers shake free).  How does Adam Gase mesh this QB and OLine into a functional offense?

– Awful drop by Josh Bellamy right before the half which gave CLE an extra 3 points. Jets were at their own 12 with 53 seconds left, Falk hit Bellamy right in the hands on a slant for 20+ yards.  He dropped it, the clock stopped and ultimately CLE got the ball back a hit a FG to increase the lead to 16-3.  With Quincy Enunwa gone and Demaryius Thomas gimpy Bellamy has to be better than that.

The post Leonard Williams Not Living Up To Expectations appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
dlzA85-rOMc

Click here to read the full story...

• Like 2

so people think he should be myles garett?  c'mon, even i know they play different positions and have different responsibilities and priorities.  leo is very good dt.  that's about it.

You want edge money then play like one.

JJ Watt plays 3-4 DE/DT also. If I’m taking a guy 6th overall, I expect more than 17 sacks in five ******* years. At least some impact plays.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

The amusing part, so many ranked him top in draft. I stopped listening to these people awhile ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He hasn't even hit the high's that Sheldon and Mo had in their careers

That's what hurts the most

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

If we fall further out of any type of hope (no we aren't there yet), JD better see if he can get a late 3rd from a contending team for Leo.  I think we have too many holes to come out on top in the comp formula so letting him walk in FA won't net us anything.  

• Upvote 1

IMG_3579.jpg&key=3f9c23e65bbbaaf252dbfdf74bbc44f4902c51ee390678b97e668b94cfd9bba9

KRL Game Observations – Jets \ Browns: Monday Night Football

Special Teams

– With how much Lachlan Edwards had to punt he deserved two game checks. When your punter had more punts (seven) than five of your receivers had catches you know you’re in trouble.
– Sam Ficken displayed decent leg strength on his kickoffs and kept the team from getting shutout with a 46 yard FG.  Far superior than what the other three kickers showed, he can stay for another week.

Defense

– There were five players who were active and productive last night:
  * Neville Hewitt
  * Blake Cashman
  * Tarell Basham
  * Nate Hairston
  * Brian Poole
– Surprised Trumaine Johnson was benched but glad to see it.  If someone isn’t getting the job done they shouldn’t play and Johnson hasn’t done “jack” in two years.
– Another player who hasn’t done “jack” in five years is Leonard Williams. When is he going to get benched or traded?  He needs to watch tape of Myles Garrett last night, that’s how you dominate a game.  CLE OLine wasn’t good, Baker Mayfield was running for his life on multiple occassions.  How about Williams live up to his “draft status” and take over the game?  At this point he’s been a massive disappointment.

Offense

– There was no offense and most of it falls on the OLine.  Kelvin Beachum was abused by Garrett, Brian Winters was clueless too often and Ryan Kalil is lacking.  I brought this point up during camp, the front office/coaching staff shouldn’t have started Kalil until he surpassed Jonotthan Harrison.  And at this point Kalil isn’t better than what Harrison showed.  Sam Darnold’s movement skills “hides” the weakness of the OLine but with two immobile backups they are exposed.
– In addition the TE blocking (Ryan Griffin & Daniel Brown) was also shabby.
– LeVeon Bell showed glimpses of his massive talent but with poor run blocking and a loaded box he’s taking way too much punishment.
– Luke Falk did a decent job (20/25 for 198 yards) on short notice.  He’s accurate with a below average arm but has none of the movement skills of Darnold.  So Falk isn’t a good mix with this OLine, since his days at Wash. St. he hangs in the pocket too long (hoping receivers shake free).  How does Adam Gase mesh this QB and OLine into a functional offense?
– Awful drop by Josh Bellamy right before the half which gave CLE an extra 3 points. Jets were at their own 12 with 53 seconds left, Falk hit Bellamy right in the hands on a slant for 20+ yards.  He dropped it, the clock stopped and ultimately CLE got the ball back a hit a FG to increase the lead to 16-3.  With Quincy Enunwa gone and Demaryius Thomas gimpy Bellamy has to be better than that.
The post Leonard Williams Not Living Up To Expectations appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).
Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA&key=c767643640e33a0ef15d80c67b5aa57a9059de10343f925accbdc5cf095721f2 Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs&key=0a2193dd01b7c5589169d30db39ac68a5436f0984641a674be411071c03637a6dlzA85-rOMc&key=2f9fa0e2c4c737544a617c9485edb16033345141a234cdd605ab9c12e7eb3c7dClick here to read the full story...

Good post KRL.

I agree with everything. I will say that kalil looked better than week one but no where near good enough. His progress does show that if given an entire training camp the OL would probably be much better than they are. That said, winters needs to go and Beachum may be ready to be a backup for the rest of his career. I was embarrassed to watch the way garret was just manhandling him. He was also getting flagged all night. Not good.

I would just love to see Edoga take over. let’s just let him progress. It would be tough to be worse than Beachum at the moment. And the playing time could do him a lot of good.

The offense settled down and got much smoother as the game went on but we just couldn’t get it done. It really sucks that bell came up short of the 4th and 2 and fumbled at the 6. He was playing possessed and we could have scored a couple of TD’s. Bell was playing so hard. It’s really too bad

Anyway. Thanks for the breakdown. It’s nice to just read football talk without all the snot and tears.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

For all those ripping mcc for the pick - pre-draft there were plenty articles/reports of high expectation about him..Even after the Jets took him by most here.

For those defending him, he has been a major disappointment. You may like him as a guy but as a player he's just avg..Above avg against the run and below avg as a pass rusher.  What game or even drive does he make changing plays?  They are rare. For those that like to throw around the "bust" label. I wouldn't call him that. He is available in the sense that he rarely misses a game (for injury) and you never hear of any off field concerns with him.  He just hasn't come close to living up to his pre-draft projection. 

Below goes to show how the draft is such a crap-shoot...and just because someone is a "scout" doesn't mean they get them all right..

Pre Draft Chatter:

By Chase Goodbread  Published: April 23, 2015 

Leonard Williams is considered the No. 1 player in this year's NFL draft in part due to his versatility, a rare asset for a 300-pound defensive lineman who can play effectively at either tackle or end.

And for one NFC scout, Williams' versatility invokes the name of one of the greatest defensive linemen in NFL history: Reggie White.

"You can put him inside, outside, wherever you want to place him," the scout told nj.com. "You could create mismatches with him, isn't that what they used to do with Reggie?"

That Williams can play anywhere along the defensive line is definitely a draft-day plus, but the notion that a team could use him in both roles in order to set up matchups against the opposing offensive lineman least capable of handling him is praise of a much higher order. Simply projecting as a three-down starter sets Williams apart from many defensive linemen who will get an early draft call. Williams is considered a strong candidate to be the No. 2 overall pick of the Tennessee Titans, presuming the Tampa Bay Buccaneers take quarterback Jameis Winston at No. 1.

White amassed 198 career sacks from 1985-2000, nearly all of them with the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers, while dominating both offensive tackles and interior linemen alike.

Added an AFC scout on Williams: "If he misses, I missed. I think he's the best player in the draft. If we were picking (No. 1) he would be our guy. I understand the quarterbacks might go first, but this guy is fool-proof. ... All I know is he's the best I've seen (on the defensive line) in a long, long time."

A poll of 19 NFL scouts by jsonline.com revealed that 10 of them rate Williams as the draft's top prospect.

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"Williams was the best player in the draft regardless of position. If you're the Jets, you had to take him. The sky's the limit with this kid. He's stout against the run and athletic as can be." -- Mike Mayock

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top three)

SOURCES TELL US

"You can't over-think this one. It doesn't matter how raw he is because he's got freakish qualities that are rare for men his size. I think he has a chance to be as good as Kevin Williams. That's his comp." -- NFC Director of Scouting

NFL COMPARISON

Kevin Williams

BOTTOM LINE

Enormously powerful defensive lineman. Has the look and feel of the biggest, strongest kid on the playground but hasn't figured out how to unlock his natural gifts and consistently dominate the rest of the kids on the playground just yet. Williams can play in an odd or even front, and is able to hold the point as a two-gapper or disrupt upfield. With coaching and more experience, Williams should be able to match the athleticism with the power and become a consistent Pro Bowler with a ceiling that goes even higher than that.

• Butt Fumble 1

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

For all those ripping mcc for the pick - pre-draft there were plenty articles/reports of high expectation about him..Even after the Jets took him by most here.

For those defending him, he has been a major disappointment. You may like him as a guy but as a player he's just avg..Above avg against the run and below avg as a pass rusher.  What game or even drive does he make changing plays?  They are rare. For those that like to throw around the "bust" label. I wouldn't call him that. He is available in the sense that he rarely misses a game (for injury) and you never hear of any off field concerns with him.  He just hasn't come close to living up to his pre-draft projection. 

Below goes to show how the draft is such a crap-shoot...and just because someone is a "scout" doesn't mean they get them all right..

Pre Draft Chatter:

By Chase Goodbread  Published: April 23, 2015 

Leonard Williams is considered the No. 1 player in this year's NFL draft in part due to his versatility, a rare asset for a 300-pound defensive lineman who can play effectively at either tackle or end.

And for one NFC scout, Williams' versatility invokes the name of one of the greatest defensive linemen in NFL history: Reggie White.

"You can put him inside, outside, wherever you want to place him," the scout told nj.com. "You could create mismatches with him, isn't that what they used to do with Reggie?"

That Williams can play anywhere along the defensive line is definitely a draft-day plus, but the notion that a team could use him in both roles in order to set up matchups against the opposing offensive lineman least capable of handling him is praise of a much higher order. Simply projecting as a three-down starter sets Williams apart from many defensive linemen who will get an early draft call. Williams is considered a strong candidate to be the No. 2 overall pick of the Tennessee Titans, presuming the Tampa Bay Buccaneers take quarterback Jameis Winston at No. 1.

White amassed 198 career sacks from 1985-2000, nearly all of them with the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers, while dominating both offensive tackles and interior linemen alike.

Added an AFC scout on Williams: "If he misses, I missed. I think he's the best player in the draft. If we were picking (No. 1) he would be our guy. I understand the quarterbacks might go first, but this guy is fool-proof. ... All I know is he's the best I've seen (on the defensive line) in a long, long time."

A poll of 19 NFL scouts by jsonline.com revealed that 10 of them rate Williams as the draft's top prospect.

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"Williams was the best player in the draft regardless of position. If you're the Jets, you had to take him. The sky's the limit with this kid. He's stout against the run and athletic as can be." -- Mike Mayock

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top three)

SOURCES TELL US

"You can't over-think this one. It doesn't matter how raw he is because he's got freakish qualities that are rare for men his size. I think he has a chance to be as good as Kevin Williams. That's his comp." -- NFC Director of Scouting

NFL COMPARISON

Kevin Williams

BOTTOM LINE

Enormously powerful defensive lineman. Has the look and feel of the biggest, strongest kid on the playground but hasn't figured out how to unlock his natural gifts and consistently dominate the rest of the kids on the playground just yet. Williams can play in an odd or even front, and is able to hold the point as a two-gapper or disrupt upfield. With coaching and more experience, Williams should be able to match the athleticism with the power and become a consistent Pro Bowler with a ceiling that goes even higher than that.

If he only actually played like "Reggie"

23 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He hasn't even hit the high's that Sheldon and Mo had in their careers - They would have games where you could say they were dominant.

He's been an average to good DT and that's it. More average than good these days too. At least Mo had the intelligence to peak before the contract. Leo looks like a player who's regressed.

For a guy who was supposed to be the dominant force in his draft - It's been a pretty pitiful return. Those safe and cowardly "BAP" picks have crippled this roster. 

fe27c6da09a453d863950136485195d3--pin-badges-literature.jpg

This draft evaluation brings tears to your eyes.  I think we fell into the same trap with Quinnen Williams.  Do you think it is an intentional diversion by teams who want the real players that will be good?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

This draft evaluation brings tears to your eyes.  I think we fell into the same trap with Quinnen Williams.  Do you think it is an intentional diversion by teams who want the real players that will be good?  

What does this mean?

Offer him to Mike Mayock/the Raiders right now.  Surely he'll jump at the chance to acquire a Reggie White quality player???  How about a third rounder?

Right, I thought not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2019 at 5:43 PM, rangerous said:

so people think he should be myles garett?  c'mon, even i know they play different positions and have different responsibilities and priorities.  leo is very good dt.  that's about it.

Very good?  Lol

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2019 at 5:43 PM, rangerous said:

I agree dude never was and never will be sack master.. but I expect Akiem Hicks level of dominance from him vs the run . I’m not even seeing that .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I agree dude never was and never will be sack master.. but I expect Akiem Hicks level of dominance from him vs the run . I’m not even seeing that .

Boom, a few of us have seen this for a long time. Only at the end do people wake up and see what we’ve seen.

I’m hoping Q Williams can finally be a disruptive force in the middle, that we’ve tried to draft repeatedly over the last 8 years.

Just like during the Bowles error, Williams is out there for every defensive snap.  Maybe fatigue plays  a part in his ineffectiveness?  On the other hand - his  physique looks like he doesn't spend enough time in the weight room.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

He has truly regressed every single season. He played awesome his rookie season. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

What does this mean?

Conspiracy theory-the good teams put out scouting reports puffing up these DL as the best players in the draft so that the bad teams will pick them first and leave the impact players for the good teams to pick. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He has truly regressed every single season. He played awesome his rookie season. 

Yes he has., and in his rookie year he was playing with Mo and Sheldon. Mo was having a great year and Sheldon was still very good.  Leo was a great complimentary piece of that puzzle. Problem is, when you take a guy 6, he has to become more than a complimentary player, and he obviously has not.

• Upvote 1

He’s a JAG this point.

No one is giving you anything of value for him. There will be 10 DT’s that can play at his level in FA.

Which is why you don’t draft them in the 1st round.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

• Upvote 1

It's all about the money at this point, he's just not worth 14 million a year. He's a decent complimentary DT no better than McClendon when you consider the age difference. He should be making 6/7 million max. Like someone else said, plenty of older DTs are available every year. Name the Browns awesome DTs? Who cares right, the only thing you saw was their awesome edge rusher taking our QBs out.

You could literally take “Not Living Up To Expectations”, and put any player name or even the team name ahead of it and it’d still be valid. 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

This i will agree with

Leo showed a lot of promise in 2015 and has looked like a JAG since.  And we can’t blame Bowles anymore

This is a little off topic, but we never run click bait titles. This was part of KRL's Game Observations. This week instead of Game Observations I named it after one of KRL's thoughts. We had over 5,000 people read the blog post with the Williams title within 10 hours.

Click bait titles here we come.  :)  Just kidding on the last part.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, C Mart said:

Added an AFC scout on Williams: "If he misses, I missed. I think he's the best player in the draft. 

Well guess what? 

YOU MISSED.

• Upvote 1

I think he has all the tools but his heart isn't in it.

As with many Jet players, a change of scenery might do him well.

Williams is an object lesson in why you don't spend first-round picks on average athletes.